Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Buick 455 already seached for info

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gm guy, May 3, 2004.

1. gm guy

gm guy 1/2 ton status

Vancouver Island but work in Ft Mcmurray Alberta C
    I know about the BOP boltpatern deal, that is easy I have a BOP th400 bolted to the 72 Buick 455 4bb. I also know that I would have to make or modify mounts, thats fine but looking for opinions. My question is a general one, how did the switch go for you? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

only people on here I've heard of doing it, loved it. They got a big block, plain and simple.

3. gm guy

gm guy 1/2 ton status

Yeah I have a thing for Buicks so eventualy a BBB will end up in my Blazer.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

So you will have a BBBB, Big Block Buick Blazer

5. gm guy

gm guy 1/2 ton status

Ha Ha, Thats prety funny. Almost weird!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

if I ever put a big block in mine I will get a vanity plate that simply says, BBB, Big Block Blazer

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    So you will have a BBBB, Big Block Buick Blazer

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

8. gm guy

gm guy 1/2 ton status

I'm glad to hear that people here respect Buicks. I have a habit of having this stuff around. I have a Buick 455 and two Buick 350's and 2 BOP th350's and one BOP th400. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I've got a similar thing. Got a couple BOP 400s sitting around, parts for a Oldsmobile 350 sitting around(continually overheating had to lose the motor). Got a couple Pontiac 400s around, its all GM.

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I had two buick nailheads(401 cid),1 in a 66 Wildcat,another in a 66 Electra 225.Theese motors are super tourque monsters--the Electra weighed 6000 lbs.and I could chirp the tires going into 2nd gear at 60+ mph(it had 3.08 non posi).I had a 400 pontiac in a 69 GTO,and several 454 chevys(74 smog era motors),but none of them went like the Buick nailheads.I still have a 500 Caddy and Turbo400 out in my shed--but its been sitting about 5 years now,and probably will have to be rebuilt,as a spare for one of my trucks.I'd love to stuff it in the 79 C10 "Bonanza"2wd and make a screamer out of it--but someday it may end up in the 82 diesel if that motor dies.Wish I had ALL the big blocks I had then now!. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

11. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I say "to each his own", but I have owned a lot of different vehicles in my life, 1971 Buick GS 455, 1969 Pontiac GTO 400, 1970 Ford Torino GT 351 Cleveland, 1969 Plymouth GTX 440 Six Pack, and a 1970 Chevrolet SS Chevelle 396. After having done a lot of work on these vehicles to fix them up and sell them (except for the Chevelle, which I kept), I have found Chevrolet engines to be far superior to other engines (except for the Chrysler big blocks). All Buick, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Cadillac, Chrysler Small Block, and Ford V8 engines have non-adjustable rocker arms, and a water pump, oil pump, timing chain cover combination design that totally BLOWS!

Both the Chevrolet small and big block, and Chrysler big blocks have far superior designs with adjustable rocker arms, oil pumps solidly mounted close to a crank shaft oil system, large bearing water pumps, and a simple tin pan timing chain cover. The only draw back to the Chevrolet small block is the press in rocker arm studs, but they can be modified to the screw in type.

12. gm guy

gm guy 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I can relate to that opinion for sure. There is finaly some aftermarket suport for us buick guys, even the buick 350 has performance parts available. There is a buick 350 with 500 hp and 500 ft/tq with single 4bb and no power adders. Were as a few years ago it would have cost huge $$$ it still costs alot more than a Chev. But we just like to be different. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. gm guy

gm guy 1/2 ton status

Anyone here ever had a Buick 350 in a blazer or truck? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif