Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Buick 455 F.I. Hey, SUBFAN! (longish)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by OrangeCrushK10, Jan 19, 2004.

1. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

"How were you planning on fuel injecting it?"

Well, seeing as I'm on a very limited budget I'm going to try and do this for as cheap as possible. So, TBI it is. I know, it sucks compared to other FI's. But let me give some background info as to why I'm doing this:

A few months back I went wheeling with a couple friends. Joey, in one of the last full sized Bronco's, and Jake, in a bone stock Toyota Tacoma. We went up to Kingston Peak (Fun trail, Not too hard) and had a load of fun.

The last leg of the trail I took was at a nasty incline. I was last to go, the Ford and Toyota made it look easy (both FI). But me and my old, tired carbureted 350 got about 2/3 of the way up and the engine flooded. It has never done this before and, although the view was great, it wasn't incredibly fun sitting in the truck for over 30 minutes while the Furd and Toy was sitting at the top.

So, since the engine is old and there's no replacement for displacement I started looking for a new engine. My brother has 2 Buick 455's sitting in a shed. I can have one, which is good since the Buick 455 makes the best Torque among 455's.

But, I don't feel like being showed by a Toy or Furd again, so F.I. is on the menu. The easiest, bolt-on, cheapest way to do this appears to be:

Find a late Second Gen truck with a 454 and TBI at a junkyard. Tear all the F.I. equipment out of it: Gas tank, ECU, Throttle Body, all that stuff.

However, Buick BB's intakes and Chevy BB's intakes differ (spreadbore vs. squarebore). A simple adapter plate from Summit or Jegs will fix that. The other thing is that the Chevy throttle body only flows 670cfm, the Buick asks for around 800cfm. But since I will probably keep it in the low rpm range for the most part, not a problem.

But if anyone has any better ideas, please tell me! I'll probably upgrade to an MPI system sometime in the future.

2. biobry

biobry Registered Member

Hey, OrangeCrush...I'm kinda new here, mostly a lurker...interesting enough I'm thinkin' of yanking a buick 455 outa my 76 K5 and dropping in a healthy 350...may have to reconsider...I just bought this right before Christmas and haven't had a chance to touch it yet! Sorry about jacking your thread...(back to lurking) /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Find a late Second Gen truck with a 454 and TBI at a junkyard. Tear all the F.I. equipment out of it: Gas tank, ECU, Throttle Body, all that stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]
    This will be the most difficult part of the swap. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif It seems that all the 454 stuff gets stripped off of junkers about 3 seconds after they're unloaded into the yard. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I had a heck of a time just finding a 454 throttle body at a yard.

Another, not as cheap option would be to use a Holley Projection kit. You can get them in 2 or 4 barrel configurations and they're very easy to tune. No burning chips, just plug in a laptop and tweak to your hearts content. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You'll have to work around the knock sensor issue, not sure how that is done. The whole ESC system is different based on engine. (not just size, the knock sensor is "tuned" to the particular engine)

How are you going to work around the distributor issue?

I'm sure it's possible, but to the best of my knowledge, Buick wasn't making V8's in 1981, when a useable distributor would have first been available. (unlike olds and I *think* Pontiac, during the last years of the 301)

5. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

While it is going to be difficult to find an intact F.I. 454 from a truck, one of the larger truck salvage yards in denver is owned by a family friend. So hopefully I can find one.

I haven't quite figured out the distributor issue yet. Any idea's would help me.

And tell me some more info on the Holley Projection kit. What's the price?

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Ooooh! Having an inside line at a yard will be a HUGE help! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif But I guess that's why so many 454's "disappear" before the carcass hits the yard. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Projection isn't cheap, but it also works with an old-school mechanical/vacuum advance distributor and can be fine tuned. Here's the 2-barrel version: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=HLY%2D502%2D20S

7. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Just brainstorming, but I bet a Buick and computer HEI distributer could be married. If the shaft sizes are the same, then probably easier. If not, then I would think that cutting the top off the Chevy dist. and installing it onto the Buick one would be the way to go. People shorten 9" Furds all the time in the backyard, so why not the same thing with a dist.????

Yes full on TBI with the adapter plate would be the easiest way to go, but I have considered 'copying' a famous MPFI conversion. E???? Without having worked out all the details, putting injecters into a manifold with fuel rails can be done. Use a slightly modified TB base, removing the injecter pods like they do and VOILA !!!!

Some people with more electronic experience will have to chime in here, but with a bit of effort, I think something along these lines would be very feasible....

WHATCHA THINK ???????? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. TJS

TJS 1/2 ton status

9. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Frankly, if you've got an inside line on JY parts, just get the whole 454 along with all of the FI parts. The Chevy block will be much easier to install and mate to the tranny as I'm sure you already know. I bet you will save some headaches and the overall install will be much more pleasant. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

If you are set on using the 455, then with some trial and error, fabbing and good luck, I think it could be done. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Thanx. I have that link saved. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

That is one of the places that gave me some of the ideas. Blank fuel rails can be purchased, and I could probably have the manifold conversion done by a friend.

Just not sure I could get the holes drilled into the fuel rails straight. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. TJS

TJS 1/2 ton status

To drill the holes on the same plane (x axis). You would really need a milling machine and set the intake up on it and indicate and locate where you are going to place the injectors. Any machine shop with a Bridgeport milling machine or any mill for that matter could do this for you.
    T.J.
    www.tjsperformance.com