Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Buick 455 motor...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Dec 24, 2003.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

How much power would a 455 put out (came out of a late 70s Buick Electra). One of my many "projects" I have sitting was going to get a Cadillac 500 motor once I found one, but I can buy two of these Buicks with 455 motors (one running) for $150. I just wonder if I could get enough power out of this motor to turn 38" or so Swampers with 4.10 gears.

2. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

I dont think it would put to much power out, all late 70 early 80s engines pretty much sucked ass even big blocks, maybe if you ported the heads and bumped upped the compression, and edlebrock intake, and rv cam you would have about 350hp and 500ftlbs of torque then it would really move

3. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

what caddy engine do you guys use?(year,what does it come in,deville,etc.)help a po boy out on christmas. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    The caddy swap is a little more common than a buic 455.

Well..read my Sig /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Most caddy's used are mid 70's and prior 472-500cid's.

Mines a 1974 472cid. It's just what was availible, but I later found out it was one fo the better motors. Fairly sure mine was an eldorado.

5. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

cool bro.just wondering why not a BBC.well im in detroit area, so you KNOW there are lot's of caddy's.yuk yuk, thanks daryl /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    Why Run them?

Cadillacs are lighter. Significantly
    Cadillacs can see better mileage.
    They can be (arguably) built cheaper.
    They can be found CHEAP.

Why not?
    Hard to run a manual behind a Caddy.
    Motor mounts? (its pretty easy)
    Fuel Injections systems are harder than most.

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Do a search on the Buick engine's bore and stroke. Compare that with the Olds & Pontiac 455's and you'll see why it's Olds 455's by and large that are put in jet boats.

I seem to recall the best Cad 500 is the '71 or '72 Eldo as it was the only 500ci rated for 500 or more ft-lbs of torque, out of the box.

In a Cad 500 use 440 rods with +.030 413 pistons, offset grind the crank (DOWN to the 440 rod journal size) to achieve approx zero deck and you have a 541. And don't tell Larry Kruzick I told you how to do it. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Gather up 4 heads worth of 390 Ford adjustable rockers. The bolts for the middle pair of cyls are the same dist apart as the end pair of Cad rocker bolts. Converts you to shaft mounted rockers, gets rid of them funky thing Cad calls rockers, and ups the rocker ratio from 1.5(?) to 1.7 or 1.72, I fergit. And don't tell Larry Kruzick I told you how to do it. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Non-issue for most here, but Cad main bearings are dang near big enough to roll a bowling ball thru. Ain't gonna be happy spinnin' a lot of R's.

8. James670X

James670X 1/2 ton status

If you're going to get a Caddy motor the one to get is the 1970 500 out of the Eldorado (I believe) as this particular motor is rated at 400hp and 550ft-lbs(take into account these #s are at the motor).
    There's a guy up in Alaska running one in his truck.

9. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

70 500 caddy make 300hp and 550ft-lbs my uncle has one

10. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a 70'455 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    It is the 360 HP/510 lbs torque motor..

I wouldn't waste my time on a late 70's 455..
    they don't have much HP!!! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

11. Alaska Offroad

Alaska Offroad Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    70 500 caddy make 300hp and 550ft-lbs my uncle has one

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong, according to chiltons /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif 400 hp/ 500 ftlbs /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. fleetwood472

fleetwood472 Registered Member

Thats a good idea about the 390 rocker conversion for the cadillac 500. Why do you need enough for 4 heads though? I looked at the 390 rocker arms and they all look the same as the middle. What am I missing? - Justin

13. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

14. fleetwood472

Hey BrandonC,

Have you done this conversion on your motor? - Justin

15. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

no, but i will look into it.

16. fleetwood472

I checked out the rockers online and they look like they would fit. Only thing is that post said you need 4 sets and and only use the middles to build a complete set but they look like they are all the same dimensions. Not sure though i'm only going by pictures. - Justin

17. mikayak390

mikayak390 Registered Member

I could be wrong but I think the 60's and early 70's buick 455 is the same block as the late 70's. The cam and heads were mostly junk in the later years however. I used to run a 70 455 in my car. I had a replaced the intake heads and cam. it was "on a budget" and pulled just under 500hp and torque on the dyno. I have a write up from onr of the major magazines with part numbers and detailed descriptions of a super 455 buick built early in 2000 by pros. under $3000 in parts ran on pump gas and numbers were around 1200 and 900. I'd bet that would either smoke your 38's or your trany probably both. I don't know how a motor like that would do offroad, but if you want the write up I'll look for it. Might have sold it with the motor now that I think about it though.

18. fleetwood472

It looks like they would work but you just need different shafts since they need to be wider. - Justin

19. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

The Buick 455 is a grade A Tourque Monster. A lot of them came with 500+ ft-lbs out of the box.

They are also lighter than a chevy Big Block.

You start running into problems with bell housings, however. Buick BB's don't use the standard Buick-Olds-Pontiac bell housing. So you would have to fab one for a manual transmission.

Also, Mod and Rebuild parts are very hard to find for Big Block Buick's. And Fuel Injection is nearly impossible without building a System from scratch.

The Engine itself is a great engine, but I dropped my plans to put one in the truck after looking at the rebuild and mod part prices.

20. fleetwood472

What about Caddy motors? I was talking about shaft rockers for a Cadillac 500. - Justin