Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Buick/Olds motor swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Muddytazz, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

For those of you that have done this, what motor mounts did you use?

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

olds is fairly easy..

I helped swap a 455 olds motor into an 81 GMC 1/2 ton 2wd truck...We pirated the motor mount brackets and pads from a 80 Chevy C10 that had the 350 Olds diesel motor in a junkyard..we used the tranny from the diesel too--but the stall speed was too low on the converter,and it annoyed the guy who drove it enough to swap one from a gas powered TH400 in it instead,and the govenor too..The motor bolted in without much hassles,but we had to extend the fuel line,battery cables(or we could have moved the battery to the other side) since the Olds motor has the fuel pump and starter on opposite side of a chevy motor..the diesel exhaust pipes fit the 455 too...

As for Buicks,I've seen trucks that had 455's and 350 buicks in them,but I didn't look too closely at the mounts--the Buick motors MIGHT have the mounts on the block in the same place as olds motors,not sure---I've seen several Pontiac 400's in GM trucks too,but I wasn't able to get a good look at how they did those swaps either.(looked to me like flat plates were used to re-locate the mount pads)....the motors all fit good in the engine bay--if you can stuff a 500 Caddy in one,I guess anything else will fit!...not sure if Buick's oil pans were a problem--the olds one we did was out of a firebird,and the pan JUST missed the crossmember!. :crazy:

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Friend of mine in Yakima has done this... well no he's got a Pontiac 400... but the motor mounts he made work were factory pieces just adapted to the truck motor mount tower. I'll see if I can get some pics. Might help a little.

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Look in here for the pics. The 350 Buick is already installed and running and driveable, I'm just trying to fix what the PO f'ed up. Plus look at those crappy bugger welds :eek1:

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

Kenny, that would kick ass! i've got a Pontiac 400 and a TH400 sitting in my garage that belongs to my buddy. i'm DYING to build it and put it in something. a C10 would be so cool shaved of all of its Chevy/GMC badges, wearing only a Pontiac Arrowhead.

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[​IMG]There's a pic of the motor mount I'm dealing with. You can't see it in the pic, but the inside of all that is welded up also. The center single bolt is welded to everything it seems like.

The rest of the pics can by viewed HERE

7. 84K5BD

84K5BD 1/2 ton status

i have a pontiac 455 in my k5. i installed it using all gm parts. to make it work you need to get the offset engine mount brackets from a firebird, mine came from a 79. with the offset brackets you can then use the existing 350 chevy truck engine mounts. i also was able to use the headers from a gto. it's a very easy swap. i will see if i have some pics.