Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

build 350/drop bb in/ go diesel??????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RootBreaker, Sep 8, 2005.

?

worked 350/big block/french fry cooker?????

1. beef up my 350

15 vote(s)
    28.3%
  2. drop "Smart" big block in

6 vote(s)
    11.3%
  3. Old School Big Block

11 vote(s)
    20.8%
  4. French Fry Cooker

21 vote(s)
    39.6%
  1. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

aight im getting money up.. tired of my pos not taking off when under the hammer.. always flooring it to keep up with people.. I know we dont build race cars... however i dont believe my truck is pushing enough ponies... so here is the deal... what would you do?
    I have $300 now and by monday $465 so with that...

guidelines.. my fathers friend owns a junkyard so stuff could be had cheaper... 96+ vortec heads maybe free or $100 complete but I will use real world $$$ then....

take my 350 and drop vortec heads ($300) and intake ($150) and test it out and see if I should add that comp cams xtreme 4x4 cam or not.... :bow:

go big block 454 ($500) pulled from a running truck.. computer and fuel injection and all... do I really want a brain in my truck??????? sell my holley truck avenger to add more $$$ to the above ($300 a friend will give me) sell my motor $300

go old school big block 454 ($300-$500).. what else needs to be said???? sell my motor $300

last choice
    go diesel
    find a running 1983+ donor and do the swap.. only benefit here is I will do the cooking oil conversion.... got a source for all the cooking oil I need... thus free fuel!!!!!!!!
    found a cucv for $2k - found a cucv with banks turbo (dunno price)

so could beef up my 350
    drop "Smart" big block in
    Old School Big Block
    French Fry Cooker

decisions, decisions... but something is getting done....

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

This is getting kind of tired.

Do any of the other 3.

Or, if you come into a big pile of $$$$ look at those big-inch (400+ ci) SBC shortblocks you can get now. ;)

3. Big89Burban

Big89Burban 1/2 ton status

I would stay away from the diesel unless it was turbo..etc. It will be torqy but still slow!. Just build up a big block or something with some balls :D

Big truck = not a race car.

Felt the same way with my other truck. [hick accent] Always had to bring up the rear [/hick accent] :o

Edit:
    On second thought. The diesel help once. Had to pull a guy out of river. Only reason he was stuck is cause his dist. got water in it and the truck died. Then commensed to crank over until the batt. died (starter got stuck) So his winch was useless. I hooked him up and pulled him about 10yards before the cable snapped. He was like "oops. left it in park." Either way I didnt have to worry bout the water splashing up on the motor :laugh:

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

3 way tie...

It all depends on the results you want in the end...

Want fast acceleration?--lots of power?--don't care if it gets 10mpg?--then the 454's are the way to go..I'd take an "old school" 454 with a carb and HEI for simplicity and reliability,and lower conversion cost(I avoid computers if possible--though a later EFI 454 probably would give better fuel economy,and a bit more power,and better off road ability)...

The 350's wont give good mileage or power compared to the big blocks..by the time they are "built up" enough to come even close to the BB,they will give terrible mileage,and I bet even the stock 454 would beat them still!..I've had 2 454's that gave 2-4 mpg MORE than the 350 I removed did!

The diesel will make it go even slower!..but you have the option of vegatable oil for fuel,lower cost for diesel than gas is now,and relatively good fuel mileage for a full size truck--around 15-22 depending on gears and weight..and no stalling off road if it bounces or tilts.. :crazy:

Its a LOT of work doing any of the 3!--even dropping in an identical motor is plenty tough...its gets more complicated when you go from small block to big,or to diesel..need a lot more than just the motor! :crazy:

5. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

The stock carbed 454's only had 240 hp and 385 ft lbs at the tranny... a modded sb could slaughter it in the hp department, and make better tq with a few of the right mods... cam, intake, headers, some heads, good carb, and maybe some higher compression pistons...

speedpro 10.2:1 with 64 cc heads:$ 100
    vortech manifold:$150
    4x4 cam: $200
    64cc vortech heads: $300
    headers: $200

yeah its been done but theres a good reason why it keeps getting done.

parts for the bbc are more expensive and you'll have another couple hundred pounds or so in the front of your truck. I'd put my sb against a stock 454 anyday... same tq, 50 more hp(will be more like 90 with the darts) and better mileage but it cost me.

as for mileage the work truck at my last job had a stock tbi 454 in it and got 8 mpg...

i voted sb.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2005
  6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

big block with up to date fuel delivery. MPG would be better, power would be nice.

next option is a cummins 24 valve....

both costly mods though
    grant

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

you forgot a few things here...

Machine work to install new pistons with the proper piston to wall clearance... $250+ here
    new bearings (no sense is running used bearings and new pistons) :screwy: $100 +/-
    new rings, since fresh bores and fresh pistons deserve them. :rolleyes: $100 +/-
    almost forgot good gaskets, which will run you somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 for a complete set.
    -$100, since nobody is stupid enough to pay $200 for a small block cam
    plus whatever it costs you for spelling lessons, so you can properly spell "Vortec"

please refer to my sig... AGAIN.:doah:

8. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

no more long motor arguements please... I can't emotionally deal with reading anymore.

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

BTW, with my educated opinion, voted for the TBI BBC. :D

10. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

You don't think it has anything to do with the 4.10's and 40's your website says are currently on there do you :D

11. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Swap in 5.13's.....................that is all

12. project84k5

project84k5 Registered Member

im currently running the 6.2 with 5.13s and 40s and the thing runs better than my old Z71 with all the bolt ons, plus, you have the choice of veg oil or standard diesel. im partial though, i wouldnt trade my 6.2 for anything..

ryan

13. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

no worries... whatever beater posts i can't see it... :D gets annoying talkin to a dude who twists what you say so he can be right all the time.

As for the motor, if you can afford get some FI.

I thought u were on a poor mans budget but if you can afford to drop 2k on it then get some darts, and a good shortblock and build yourself a sb screamer.

14. RootBreaker

I am on a poor mans budget.... however got truck parts that have been sitting... got rid of some and got more to go.... so whatever $$$ I get up.. is what I have to work with....

screamer would be nice... although with the current price of gas.... that would suck :haha:

15. RootBreaker

if you look at rear axle. it says... 14 Bolt Corporate w/4.56 gears... that is stock too..

then you look at front axle and it says d60 w/4.10's.... then you look at in the works.. .and 4.56's then in the completed section you see... Y

16. RootBreaker

im still leaning towards diesel I guess... find a donor...
    with my current funds... plus can sell my truck avenger with adapter plate to a bud for $300....
    so I believe I can find a 1984+ donor truck.. weather 2wd or 4wd for less than 1k.... would be nice to find a crew cab one too....but that is another mod for later :haha:

17. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

MMMMMMMMMM........... Big block good.

I would not trade my 427 for the world. Even if people say tall deck are crap. Mine has never done me wrong and I have knocked a few doors off off the line. :laugh:

18. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

In my oppinion it sounds like you need something inexpensive that you can just drop in and be done. In that case I say go for the tbi 454. Good torque,fuel injection,Almost a drop in swap if it is complete.

19. RootBreaker

well if you read my latest post you are the winner.. seems a 1987 454 will be in my driveway this week....

1987 454/400/205/d60/d60/dump bed fo shizzlin price o cheap!!!! :bow:

so cheap I can not not do it..... BBC HERE I COME!!!!!

20. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Go with a 6.2 turbo setup, and run it on veggie! The fuel savings will probably pile up so quick you'll be able to spend it on more offroad mods before you know it!