Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

build a steel frame entry door ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Oct 13, 2004.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

has anyone ever built a steel entry door frame ? im sick of wooden door frame rotting away after a year or two its just a normal 32" entry door, water falling off the roof bouncing off the concrete pad out there just kills the frame pieces, it was a brand new menards pre hung primered white one, common, i was thinking about finding some 4.5" or so wide U-channel or plate steel and making a frame to hang the door itself on, cuz buying a prehung steel door would be way too much $$ i know, wall it sits in is just normal 2x4 wall and 1/2" decking exterior and will eventually be 1/2" gypsum board inside, so 4.5" flat plate would be perfect really, hmm..

thanks for anything

2. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

I have done reinforced doors several times.... a vault door once...
    My steel supplier had premade locksets,insets heavy steel... I made the frame out of heavy wall (,250) tubing... obviously this was for the vault door...
    I used recessed ball bearing hinges...hidden so you couldnt pry or cut them...
    the vault room was made from cinderblock/concrete filled
    the owner stored guns in it....
    IIRC I think I saw premade steel door sets in the raw (and not like the cheapo stanley stuff w/o the door)in the supplier catalog... I suggest a google search
    Fabbing a square should be no big deal...
    if you go light guage and have any exposed hardware you might consider security type that cant be easily unbolted////
    I just realized that security isnt the main issue for you... so yes I do recall seeing premade raw doorsets in one of the wrought iron supply catalogs... but it would be easy to fab

3. stick

stick Registered Member

have you looked at clad frames?