Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Build info from VIN?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Fubeca, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I am looking at a truck and want to know what motor and tranny etc. It is at an auto auction and I can't go check it out but I have the VIN. Is it possible to get this kind of info somewhere from the VIN?

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I guess the dealer can

I know the dealer can --they often want the VIN # when you call for parts--not sure how far back they can search,but when I call for parts on many newer(12-15 years old) trucks they ask me for the number,and they can tell what tranny,motor,rearend,etc was installed when it was built--this helps a lot when they list 2 different parts that could be on the truck...So maybe a call to your local chevy dealers parts department might help you--if you can find a counterman who is willing to do more than say"can you hold"--and leave you hanging on the line until 5 pm...:(

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

If you post the VIN here, we can decode it and tell you what engine is in it.

The VIN per se won't tell you anything about tranny or other equipment, however. Chevy MIGHT be able to look it up in a database of their own somewhere; more likely if it's recent, as opposed to an older vehicle.

HTH.

-- A

4. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I just called a local dealer and they looked it up.