Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Build my Audio system

Discussion in 'Audio' started by 73k5blazer, Feb 25, 2005.

1. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Ok, I've done my share of complete audio installs in the past, but it's been awhile, like 10 years. In that time the trend seems to have shifted to component based installs.
    My question, is I need to build a system for my K5, this is a complete frame off-resto. Now, I'm not one for subs, in fact I hate the idea of people using up cargo space for these giant things. I don't need to annoy the people in the adjacent bay at the power wash. But I do want some decent sound going down the road with the top off.
    So, do you all think is a good set up. What components mounted where? Nothing radical mind you and I'd like to keep it under $1000. I don't want any DVD's or flashy anytihng, just a regular CD changer and good reliable sound.
    The one thing different from a normal K5 is my fiberglass body has room between the inner and outer fenders in the back quarters, it is where I planned on mounting amp(s) and there is room there for some subs I would think...
    Thanks for the input...

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I just posted about this headunit in another thread. Pretty good deal in my honest opinion for all the features it has.

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

For a stealth install, consider doing some kind of fiberglass enclosures in the bedsides, (or MDF) and a shallow-mounting depth subwoofer. That would keep things out of sight, and save you cargo and footwell space.

Also, I'm not a big fan of used equipment (especially stuff with moving parts like CD players or speakers) but power amps might be a good item to shop for on eBay... Depending what you wanted, you might be able to get a couple hundred off on a nice, heavy amp and put the savings towards your speakers, etc.

4. moturbopar

moturbopar 1/2 ton status

You know, I actually have had good luck buying car audio stuff off of ebay. new and used, The last sytem i completly built from stuff off of ebay. Sony stereo and cd changer(not Xplod!!!)$48 shipped. Orion 12" SVC $38 new! Crossfire tek400.1 amp $58 shipped. Orion cobalt 2150 amp $22!!!! kicker 6.5 components $18(for $18 why not?) used but like new, infinity 6.5 components new $52. kicker 6 midbass with bandpass xover was $40 shipped. Cheapy coustic x-over $8 shipped. The cables I bought on ebay from a stereo shop that was going out of bussiness I think I paid like $80 for something like 25 pairs of monster cable RCAs, 100ft of 4gauge power wire, and 250ft of orion 10gauge speaker wire. I know non of this stuff is top of the line, but its not crap either and sounded pretty dang good for a cheap system. I try not to spend over $50 on anything used(unless an exceptional deal), look at the newly listed stuff and make sure the person has good feedback.

5. personaltrainer

personaltrainer 1/2 ton status

a good set of separates in the front doors - I LOVE polk audio here. Some nice 6x9s it the rear beside back seat and 1 10" sub and your good for speakers. I'd run the seps and 6x9 off a "small" amp - maybe 50x4, and the sub on another mono amp. I know your not a fan of the subs but ONE 10" sub would probley sound fine for what you need and not take up too much room, you know?

as for the head unit - I've had good luck with many brands. I think that clarion mentioned above looks pretty sweet - never been a fan of clarion but think the industry is so competitive now that "most" of the head units are "pretty good".

I have REALLY good luck with my 6x9 instal by installing them with an enclosure mounted behind them - as if they were in a box only you could only see the front of the speaker - make sense? The inner fender would prevent you from doing this (due to lack of depth form teh interior but since it's frame off and fiberglass - go for it. They sound twice as good this way - literaly.

Not sure if this is the info you needed or not but I hope I helped.

6. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i agree with personal trainer, you get a much better sound from 6x9 by putting them in an enclosure. i think you would be happy with a pair of 6x9s in the rear and comonents in the front, skip the subs. here is a link to how i set my truck up

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129675

for about 550-600 you get get a decent cdplayer headunit, components for the front in the kickpanels, and 6x9's in boxes for the rear that leaves you $400+ for a good amp and wiring.

7. JIMMY76

JIMMY76 1/2 ton status

we just got done with my wifes car all clarion stuff from head unit speakers and amps really resonably priced stuff and amaising sound for the cost i highly recomend using clarion/ oh and you will always get better qaulity sound out of a round speaker over a oval one. 6x9's may get louder and get a little more bass responce out of them but 6.5's have a better sound qaulity

8. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

That's very helpful. Thanks.
    About sub placement, how important is it? It's low end sound, so I would think that putting it in between the inner/outer rear quarters wouldn't be too bad, but I don't know? Do it need to be centered or free of obstructions like 1/4" of fiberglass?