Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Build or Buy BBC? Where?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Mar 20, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I am considering a new project. Want to build a fast car now that I am getting close to having my big truck. I want to build a big car with a big block. What would you guys say? I don't want to spend 8k on a big block crate but they do make me drool. Anyone know of a place that sells a simple 454 that puts out say 450hp and closer to 500 ft-lbs.? People ask why bother building my engine, I think I could build what I just said for more like $3500-4000 dollars. Think I am out of my mind wiht those numbers?

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Have you checked PAW... Performance Automotive Wherehouse..
    That catalog ROCKS!
    For the longest time i didn't want to fork over $6 for the catalog, but now i'm glad i did. They got tons of stuff.

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

a stock caddy 500 puts out over 500# of torue. not sure on the HP number...

4. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I think one of the GM crate 454's made something like 425 horse and can be had for around $4500. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

with 4g, and a good condition used block, you could get easily 500.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Build yourown if nothing more then for the feeling you'll get everytime you start that bad-boy up !!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Yep, I would say the 454 HO GM Crate motor is roughly what you want. You can build a big block, but they are more expensive then small blocks. FortCollinsRam (Chris) got a BBC for his K5, and was going to do some little things to the motor before he put it in. It sucked him in and now he is in to it for around $5K at last report. If you build one it might suck you in too, and you might spend alot more then you want. Crate motors are available for good prices, and they come with a warranty.

9. thatK30guy

[ QUOTE ]
    Yep, I would say the 454 HO GM Crate motor is roughly what you want. You can build a big block, but they are more expensive then small blocks. FortCollinsRam (Chris) got a BBC for his K5, and was going to do some little things to the motor before he put it in. It sucked him in and now he is in to it for around $5K at last report. If you build one it might suck you in too, and you might spend alot more then you want. Crate motors are available for good prices, and they come with a warranty.

[/ QUOTE ]

EXACTLY!!! And best of all, its ready to drop in and turn key!!! The warranty is a big plus, too!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Hossbaby50

11. thatK30guy

Yep, thats the motor! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Surprise! It went up $200 more than at the time I was looking at it. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

This is the motor I'm planning to install into my '85 K30 when the day gets here that I will do a ground up, frame off restoration on it. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

12. Hossbaby50

Ya, if I decide to go big block in my K5 that is the motor I am going with. I am pretty sure that I am just going to get myself a 383 or 406 small block next, but if I do go BBC that is my motor.(highly doubt BBC just because of gas concerns)

13. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Yeah, Harley is tight...

If I were to do it over again, knowing how much I have sunk into my 454, I would have bought a HO 454 or a HO502...I bought my 454 for around $1200 from Throttle body to oil pan (even had the ECM and all the Accessories)...I was just going to throw a cam in it a run it...But when I pulled the old cam, the babbit was rubbed over...so I pulled the crank: more signs of not-so-healthy bearings...I bet it would've live for anouther 50,000 as it was, but I didn't want to deal with rebuilding it in the future when the where-abouts of the current 350 is unkown (I need my truck and can have it out of commision for a rebuild)

My price run-down is as follows

-$1200 for BBC
    -$400 for Eagle ESP rods (retail for $580)
    -$325 for pistons
    -$325 Head work (decking, 3-angle VJ)
    -$150 for crank machining
    -$550 for all block cleaning and maching
    -$200 for short block assembly
    -$150 for balancing
    -$75 for bearings
    -$150 for cam and lifter
    -$125 for push rods and guide plate and screw-in studs
    -$275 for LUK ProGold clutc
    -$40 for flywheel resurfacing
    -$250 for Roller Rockers
    -$150 for FelPro PT gaskets
    -$200 in misc. ARP bolts
    -$120 for Turbo City injectors
    -$100 for new timing cover and Edel timing chain
    -$40 for new fuel pump
    -$125 for new aeroquip fuel line plumbing

That adds up close to a cool $5000

I know i am missing some stuff but you get my point...It adds up..esp. in my case where it isn't really that hot of an engine (stock heads. average compression) But hindsight is 20/20, isn't it /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Just spend the bills on a new crate motor...Since this was my first engine build, I made my fair share of mistakes....I ordered the wrong pistons...Since I wanted to keep the rods, I had to shell out big bucks for Hyper pistons with a Full flotaing pin... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifoh well...also bought the wrong oil pump, wrong timing cover, wrong head gaskets...and the list goes on...This was mostly in part to my engine bewing a Gen V engine and I was sold MANY parts for a Mark IV eninge...Oh well...

Chris

14. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

15. IronMan

IronMan 1/2 ton status

Be different! Build a Big Block Caddy! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    1970 500cid 400 horses and 550 ft of torque STOCK
    You could build a 500 that produces 500 ft of torque as soon as you let go of that key /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    I vote for the pimp wagon power train

16. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Yoy might check here>>>Blue chip motors<<<<<< they have good prices on their long blocks, I don't know how their prices run for performance engines, but worth a try. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Also might want to check out www.paceparts.com they're one of the biggest in the country, and 5 minutes from my house, so buy me one too!

18. 4DiggerDan

4DiggerDan 1/2 ton status

Find a blown up Bayliner with a 502 in it... They call Eagle and get a 540 kit... Take your block to the machine shop, get it bored and honed. Than call summit and order a hydrallic roller cam for the Gen 5-6 CBB with about 290 degrees duration, and .650 lift ground on about a 108 LSA. Then call Summit right back and order a set of Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins signature series square port heads and matching single plane intake... Bolt it all together, and turn a set of tires into PlayDough /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You DID after all say you were building a BIG BLOCK!!! a 454 is just an overgrown smallblock with a set of big canted valves and screw in guide plates. BIG blocks are 489 cubes and up. Or, if you've got about 12 grand to spend, build a nitro meth blown 638. That should build at LEAST 2000 horsies /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif