Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Build or wait?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Swifty, Feb 10, 2002.

1. Swifty

Swifty Registered Member

Do ya'll think that it's better to slowly build your rig up and learn on a smaller truck or build it big and just go.

You look like you want your ass beat.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I think it depends on how much wheelin experience you have. I think wheeling a small tired open diffed truck is a great way to learn. If you're a veteran wheeler then go big and build it once obviously.

rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I agree that learing on a open diff truck with small tires is the way to go. It lets you learn limitations. If you build it big and locked the truck can go places you are not ready for and can get hurt badly doing so. I started with my Jimmy at stock height, 31" street tires, and open diffs front and rear. You learn how to manuever the truck to not get stuck. When I finally got stuck in some mud I put some 31" MTRs on. Then after dragging the trailer hitch too much I put a 2" lift on. Then I locked the front. Then I went to a 4" lift and 35s. Then I rolled it 6 times :( SO I rebuilt it and mini-spooled the rear. Thats how it sits now except I blew the mini spool up so I am going 1 ton axles.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I started wheeling in a pretty much stock truck, and am glad I did. You learn the limits of your truck, then do a mod, then learn how much farther you can go. To me that is the way to learn to wheel. You are less likely to mess up and hurt yourself as bad as if you did something stupid in a stock truck. Not saying you can't mess up real bad in a mostly stock truck, but with a mostly stock truck it is harder to get into a bad situation.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

buikd it as your cash flow allows and your need for the rig
    just my .02
    Grant

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in Yuma Arizona if ya got any parts for me.

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Like 74 said above, the money issue would probably be the avergae guy's biggest concern. There's nothing wrong with going big right off the bat if you can afford it, but make sure you don't run out of cash 3/4s of the way through the job....

These suckers can get real expensive REAL fast!!!!![​IMG]

<font color=red>DIGGING AND DIGGING AND DIGGING</font color=red>

7. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I say build it right the first time. Just check into everything and do alot of reserch before you start. As far as wheeling goes you can learn on a lifted and locked truck but just make sure to listen to the people that have stout trucks and start on the mild trails. If money is an issue do like I did when I started and find used parts. Everything on my build up so far is used parts except the US Wheels that I got from Summit and a list of small parts from here and there but the main parts like springs, axles, shocks, tires, etc were all used. I saved a bunch of money doing it that way. Also unless you can do gear swaps yourself it is often cheaper to find used axles with gears and lockers in them that you want instead of new parts. For example my 14ff has a Detroit and 4:56's in it and it was $500, but I had another 14ff with 4:10's that I wanted to regear and add a locker and the parts alone were $700 not including somebody to put them in. Just my $.02 worth.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That's another aspect of 'wait'...patience and wheeling the truck while saving your money will help you determine the wisest way to build your truck

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>