Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Build Progress: Converting K5 to Flatbed Pickup

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mrk5, Aug 8, 2005.

1. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

B_to_C, my father-in-law, and I are converting his '90 K5 to a flatbed pickup. His K5 body was getting so rusted that the rear quarters had bowed out enough the tailgate wouldn't latch and the tailpan had even buckled some. The pillars at the rear of the cab area were rusted out too. It was a North East truck.

So we started with this 85 CUCV pickup cab (only $20).
    [​IMG]

Then we used one of our "big toys" to get his body off the frame.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That was the end of Day 1.

Day 2 we went to work mounting the pickup cab on the frame.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We had to fab up the mounts for the rear of the cab. The front mounts to rear mounts on the pickup cab were about 43.5" center-to-center and the K5 mounts were about 42.5". Also the pickup cab's rear mounts were inside the frame rails and the K5 mounts were outside. So we used some pieces of 2x4 rectangle tube to span across the K5 mounts on the frame and then mounted the crossmember from the pickup chassis on the 2x4. The distance from the K5 frame to the bottom of the pickup cab in the rear was 9" so we had plenty of height in there to make up. The mounts worked perfect on the front of the cab.
    [​IMG]

End of Day 2:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2005
  2. mrk5

Fun pictures

Oh, and I had to take some "fun" pictures.
    [​IMG]
    Not sure what the story here is. Maybe rehearsal for special olympics rockcrawling.

[​IMG]
    No comment!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2005
  3. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

looks good so far, what are you going to use for bed material?

4. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

Hehe, I love those pics. The only correction I have is that my blazer was a 1990 not 87 ;)

5. mrk5

Haven't decided for sure yet. For the perimeter we're thinking either 2"x3" rectangle tube or 3" round tube. Either a type of heavy duty expanded metal or steel diamond plate for the floor. I want to start adding up some material weight to see how it is all going to come out.

6. TJS

TJS 1/2 ton status

7. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

looks good TJS. Did you use chanel for the whole box?

I like the cab protector too

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Nice Job TJS!!

You did a great job on that flatbed/dump body!...did you use a sissors hoist setup?(could not see in the photo's..looks like a winch behind the cab??)...I would have quit too,if I could weld like you,and my boss said I didn't know how!..(you probably made him jealous!)... :rolleyes: :crazy:

9. TJS

TJS 1/2 ton status

You see the pump there not a winch. I used the sissor type dump kit you get from northern, but I got it on e-bay cheaper. I must say all I used was the pump and the cylinder/sissor attachment and made all the other stuff to suit my needs. I am have a buddy paint it all and I will have a final pic with the wood on it when I am done. Right now I am adding the x-panded metal to the rack and I am going to weld in stake pockets as well with some other stuff. Sorry I do not want to high-jack this thread.
    T.J.
    www.tjsperformance.com

10. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Cool. We're building the same truck... :D

To get the cab level, what's the measurement at the back of the cab? I've got mine sitting on the frame, I'm just not sure if it's level or not. It appears to be, but I just don't know. I'm about to say screw it and just weld it on. Wednesday I'm getting my rollcage and "stacks" ( :D ) welded up. Then I have to make the flatbed and mount my fuel cell.

Good luck on your build. I'll post some pics up of mine when I get a chance.

11. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

BTW, you're welcome for that one :D After looking at my 90 K5 I just picked up, almost wish I'd kept it for me. Anyway, project looks great!! I can't wait to see it when done. Speaking of that, is it gonna be ready for Holy Cross?

12. mrk5

It ended up being real close to 9" from the mount surface to the frame. We had to keep in mind it needed to be parallel to the frame and not necessarily level since the back-end is sitting higher without a bed on it.

It may only be a cab and chasis, but Nick's goal is to drive it there. Should be interesting to see how it flexes without any weight on the back. Should be nice and bouncy coming off the rocks.