Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

build stronger or swap????

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by myk572, Mar 8, 2002.

1. myk572

myk572 Newbie

Ok, I have my 72K-5 and I am not sure what way to go with it? I drive it daily and only wheel with it once and a while. Do I put 14FF and Dana 60 under it or just beef up my 12 bolt and Dana 44?
    Inquireing minds want to know.
    Thanks much

2. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

I asked the same thing in "the garage" and everyone told me it would cost about the same to swap out. they said it might be cheaper to swap too. If you decide let me know, because i'm having the same trouble with my 69

nathan

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

swap it thats the only way to go /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I drove mine with the same set-up you have, in the same situation you are in(daily driven, weekend wheeln') And for the most part had no problems(with the axles).The dana 44 is used in the 3/4ton trucks, and the 12bolt has the same ring gear dia. as the 14bolt semi. floater. Granted they both have beafer componentes. I now do not drive the K5 daily, and accordingly wheel it harder. The only mods so far i've done or am going to do is beef up the axle shafts, and do u-joint upgrades. If I break then I'll upgrade to ff/8lug. It all depends on your wallet and prefrence. I will say however the tires you have now are the biggest I would use for your setup.

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Depends on how much you drive. You will get worse gas mileage and worse on-road handeling going to 3/4 or 1 ton. I think I would stay with the 1/2 ton stuff and do some minor beef. Your D44 has smaller u-joints than any the 73- axles. I would swap in the newer axles and put in some new Spicer u-joints. If when you did the swap you went with new shafts (from Superior or one of the other manufactures) they are likely to be stronger than some that are over 20 years old.

If you do decide to do a axle swap make sure you add up all the costs. Most J/Y axles need new brakes, bearings, and seals (which can add up quick with the higher prices of the larger brakes). Also don't forget you also need to buy new wheels and tires (unless you want to grind parts down so 15" wheels will fit).

6. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

The "small" 14 bolt rear has a 9.5" ring gear and a 1.625" pinion stem, where the 12-bolt truck rear has an 8.875" ring gear and a 1.425" pinion stem. The "small" 14 is stronger than the 12-bolt truck axle.

That said, I agree with Triaged's statements. I'd just beef the thing up a little and leave it with the D44/12-bolt truck axle setup if you're driving it daily. I'm planning on beefing up my D44 a little and adding a "small" 14 bolt rear for insurance, since I'm running a manual transmission and have plans for a bigger engine.