Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Build Thread/Suspension Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Leiger, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Leiger

Leiger Registered Member

Hey everyone! Just starting my first build. Ive got an 88 V10 Blazer, basically stock except for the really crappy 4" Lift with blocks in the rear and 35" XTerrains. It was pretty rough around the edges when I got it, but after this summer it should be pretty good to go. Heres the plans

1" Body Lift
    Removable Stock Doors/Tube Doors
    Painting it green
    Rust Bulleting Undercarage+Inside Cab+Frame
    Swaybar Correction and Disconnect Kit from ORD
    Make a sierra rack on top for storage
    a few lights here and there
    On-Board Air System (already have a York and a tank)

and my question is......how to rework the suspension? I want 6" of Lift, cause i plan on getting 39" tires after this is all done.

I have 2 options:

I could go with 6" Tuff Country Springs all the way around. This would cost me around $1200 with Zero Rates in the back, heavy duty front shackles, new steering arm, rear greasable suspension bushings, new shocks, and the swaybar dosconnect kit (doing it all at the same time.)

or.........slightly more expensive:

I could go with a 6" Tuff Country Lift up front, still with the new heavy duty shackles, steering arm, and swaybar disconnect. The difference im questioning is in the rear. I could do an ORD Shackle Flip in the rear with a 6" Shackle. Then get a 2" Tuff Country Leaf in the back.....this would get me around 7inches or lift.....and 6" still in the front. Of course I would still go with the greasable bushings, and new shocks. This would cost me around $1500.

Going with 2" springs in the back, would that give me any more articulation over the 6" spring? In addition id have the better shackle in the rear and a flatter spring. Does this sound like a better setup for the $300 or would going with springs all around be simpler and just as effective.

---------------------------
    In the future (during/after college) I plan to do these things.

Welding up a new rear bumper
    New Front Bumper
    14 Bolt FF
    D60
    4.10 gears
    Lockers front and Rear
    Crossover Steering
    Doubler kit: transfer case
    Slight engine mods, nothing extraordinary

Ill make this my build thread too, ill post updates as soon as they come. Probably nothing till around June though :(

2. SUPERSUB87

SUPERSUB87 1/2 ton status

$1200?? :eek1: :eek1: :eek1: thats alot of dough for these kind of rigs. if you already have good 4" front springs i would do some zero rates and a shackle flip in the rear. a hell of alot cheaper and better center of gravity. the 4" with 1" body lift will clear 35's no prob. I have a 6" rough country that i bought for $800 and the 37's still have room to play. I made the mistake of spending a chunk of change on the suspension and exhaust. now i dont have any money for gears and such.:mad: :mad: :mad:

3. Leiger

Leiger Registered Member

Yeah, $1200 is a lot....but i want to do it right...i plan on keeping this truck as a toy for a LONG time.......

the problem im having is that the front springs are horrible. They may work for now, and honestly i could use them for a while....
    However, if i went with the shackle flip first, i could do this in a few steps.....

I could do the shackle flip first, with greasable bushings, front HD shackles, and swaybar disconnect.....then later down the road i could upgrade the springs and get 6" of lift out of them. Id just hold off and get 39" then....

but anyways, my question still remains.........would the extended shackle and shackle flip give me more articulation?

4. SUPERSUB87

SUPERSUB87 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty sure. The less of an arch the better. I would think before spending that much money on a lift. Are you installing it yourself or getting a shop to do it???

5. Leiger

Leiger Registered Member

Ill be doing the lift with my dad and a friend, both of which have done numerous lifts and are far more knowledgable than anyone Ive ever met in a shop. + Theyre free :D

In addition, ill be doing most of the work under their supervision....just for the experience and its fun.....