Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

build up... need new headers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88-3/4t-bad boy, Jul 8, 2006.

1. 88-3/4t-bad boy

88-3/4t-bad boy 1/2 ton status

does anyone know where to get a set of decent headers for a 88 3/4 ton 4wd suburban. i was looking at a set of flowtech afterburners but it says they are only for a auto tranny.:mad: which i have a manual 3 spd. it is a carb. 350. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :D

2. chevy wrangler

chevy wrangler 1/2 ton status

you should try LMC they have headers for my truck a 1979 with a sm465 and a np205. um the web site is "LMCtruck(dot)com"

3. draggbody

draggbody 1/2 ton status

4. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've got hedmans (if you search posts you'll find the PN, I think it's 69890?) and am pretty pleased with them. Emissions will throw a wrench in your plans likely.

As headers go, they fit pretty well, and are decently priced IMO. Summit had them pretty cheap last I checked. Thick flanges, tubes, and they don't use the leak prone flat collector gasket. :)

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

You don't have to worry about that "auto only" crap. You have hydro clutch. The only reason you can't use the same headers on an auto or manual in these trucks is the Z-bar on the mechanical clutched trucks. I put headers for an auto truck on my 84 with Z-Bar clutch. The only issues it had were, I crunched a primary tube on the driver side(driveshaft slammed it, because I was stock height and had no bumpstops). And my Z-bar clutch adjuster rod hit the one primary tube. I found that out the hard way. Took a rip through town after the install, uhhhh the clutch is stuck!! Luckily it stuck in the disengaged position.

Oh and my next set of headers will be Hedmans. Dyeager is was right about that. Thick flange, tubes, and the ball and socket collector are all the best things you want in headers.

7. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I should have added about the Doug Thorleys that they are really high quality. Very thick flanges, thick tubes, tri-y design, and if you order the right ones they are emissions legal in all 50 states :usaflag:. And they will fit around your clutch linkage too.

8. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Just want to add that, unless you want to replace them every couple years, get some that are either stainless or ceramic coated inside and out.

Those black-or-silver-painted steelies don't last for crap.

9. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

All of mine ALWAYS go to Jet-Hot.

10. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

x2 on the thorley headers, ill likely be buyin a pair eventually