Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Build up the Jimmy or get a second car (CRX)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by anatomiczero, Sep 16, 2002.

1. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

I have an 80 Jimmy 350/th350/np205 12 bolt rear. The tranny is 6 months old, the engine is 6 years old and runs kinda rough.

I just finished ripping out the nasty carpet and sprayed some rubber lining stuff on (barely any rust, taken care of now). I'm going to roll on some truck bed liner stuff soon. Then I might get carpet etc. There's holes in the body left from the trim and the fenders have rust in the bottom (well holes now)

Now the q is, should I buy a 2nd car, probably a CRX to drive around then just use my truck for hauling? I don't do much off-roading. I don't mind the gas too much and more than likely paying the extra insurance for a CRX will cancel out the savings in gas. Would I be better off with the Jimmy as a daily driver and just put the 4 grand into it I would spend on a CRX?

I'm also thinking about if I went on road trips, would the Jimmy be better (reliablity) after it's fixed up some more or should I get a little car?

2. lizard

lizard 1/2 ton status

get the crx, a big life insurance policy and if you can't stop then smile as you go under /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well...if you're not going to save anything on gas due to the insurance why bother? Shop carefully and the $4K will go a long way on the truck. Worst case scenario...what would you rather be driving if you were involved in a wreck? /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

Rene

4. anatomiczero

I was thinking of getting the CRX for a sporty fun car to drive. Then again it's not real safe, then again it should be safer than a motorcycle...

How much money would it cost to rebuild my engine to a 383 stroker? and would I feel a huge difference in performance?

Going up hills I have to pretty much floor it so I don't slow down.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

What gears/tires do you have? The motor may be just fine...

You could buy a crate 383 from Napa for under $3K that put's out over 400 lb/ft of torque...

I'd do some research before spending a dime if I were you.

Rene

6. anatomiczero

I'm pretty sure it's fine, but I wouldn't mind more power. It has 32's and most likely 3.08's. I'm not going to have a lot of money to do things for a while (i'm 17) I was thinking in more like a year after I've saved up.

7. anatomiczero

Well I added things up, it would be about $5,500 to get the Jimmy to like new/ better than new condition. Interior stuff, paint etc. Or I could leave it as is now and save up for a CRX or Civic HB.

8. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

build the jimmy sky high, make it purty, but dont sacrifice purtyness for reliablity, and get yurself a junky crx, and park your jimmy ontop of the civic, and take a picture and post it.

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I guess I'm getting old couse I don't see the apeal of the little ricers with the fart muffler. So I'll try to bring it from a different point of view. Now if you buy the ricer, how much money will you have to put into it so you can be like all the other ricers ??? I personally never wanted what everyone else had. I go out crusin on friday night and see a $hitload of ricers with big wings that don't do anything, fart muffler, and stickers. Pull in a parking lot where everyone is hanging out, and 90% of everyone has a ricer that all look the same. (Follow the herd, just another cow) So you spend $4.000.00 for the ricer, then another $2,000.00 on up so you can look just like everyone else. Like I said, I must be getting old becouse I don't see the attraction. I'd build the truck, lift, big tires, ...ect and scare the hell out of the ricers by letting them think you might run over thier little wimp-mobiles. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

10. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

your not getting old, im 21 and those ricers are getting ridicoulous, Everyone is in a herd, somethign ive noticed, a few months ago me and 2 of my buddys were leaving the bowling alley parking lot (dollar beer night so everyone was there) anyway, we were leaving and some dude rolls up in a ricer and stops by my truck holding up traffic, i look at him and leans out the window and says "The girls wanted to look at your truck" Girls dig trucks (at least most of them) and you being 17 i know that girls are a big issue as they are with me, so i say use that 4 grand to make your Rig bad ass, then start wheeling more, (chicks love wheeling itll get you laid) 4 grand is a good chunk to start building your rig with, as rene said Shop carefully

11. anatomiczero

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll stick with the Jimmy plus I've got back together with a girl that lives in Cali so the extra money will be good for me to go see her. Oh, and she loves the Jimmy /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

12. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

damn, i am 37.........and single /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif ,(chicks dig trucks...) i hope this advice will work for me too /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

13. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Better yet, take $1000 and buy an old beater 2wd chevy truck (preferably pre smog). Now park the Jimmy and spend $3000 getting rediculous with it. Once the Jimmy is road worthy again... sell the beater truck for $1000 and use the money to go have fun in your Jimmy!

14. Silver84k5

Also a very good plan

15. Silver84k5

Also a very good plan, How about Buy a bike for 150, and use the rest on the jimmy, youll save al kinds of gas money with a bike ;]

16. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

thats exactly what i'm gonna be doing as soon as i sell my 89 mustang gt to pay off that loan...buy and beater (almost anything) save and spend an obsurd amount of money on the burb, sell the beater and go wheelin /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

17. anatomiczero

I did have a beater, a 90 geo storm but my parents made me get rid of it when i got the jimmy /forums/images/icons/frown.gif I'll just take their Astro van if I need to drive somewhere since my dad won't teach me to drive his 5 spd Suzuki XL-7 /forums/images/icons/frown.gif He said I would wear the clutch or some BS like that.