Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Build your own home advice

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by wraenking, Nov 14, 2006.

1. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

need some input from those who have done this.

me and the wife want to buy our own home, and i want to look into building our own to save money, especially around here.

heres what i have to work with.

1. me- survey party chief at an engineering firm = FREE SURVEY

2. friends that own a demo company and dig for foundations.

3. roofing, siding, heat and air, and electrical all covered by friends.

4. would sub out the framing and masonry for the foundation, drywall (i hate spackling)

5. best friends father is a painter (free)

thats just some of the things i can think of before i fall asleep here.

my point is that i think we can do this, but i want to know what some of you that have done it think

around here, a 100 x 100 lot is around 100-200,000 depending on the area.

how much roughly is a 3-4 bedroom , 2 bath home with basement and a garage going to run me?

ill be doing the general contracting myself to save money, and i am going witht eh VA loan..\

sorry if i just confused you all

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

VA loans can only be used on already-constructed homes... you'd need some kind of construction loan or something in the meantime... unless you have mad $$$$ (of course if you did, you wouldn't even need a loan!)

At any rate, I think the cheapest way to do it would be to hook up with a local company that builds complete houses... like the guys that advertise "we can build you this house for $99,000 on your lot!". They will already have all the permit crap taken care of for the design etc. See if someone like that will just do the framing and whatever else you don't wanna do. The foundation specs and everything are already all figured out by the designer/engys, you could just have the home builder guys come in and do the foundation and framing crap and then you'd pretty much take it from there. I doubt it would cost much... and it would take care of the permit process, unless you are already a guru at that junk...

These companies are often pretty flexible and will pretty much stop working at whatever point the buyer wants. Some people who are looking to save $$$ just wanna paint the house themselves... or do some interior work (finish basement or something)... others are like you and pretty much just need a foundation and stick-built frame.

j

3. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Pay your friends the going rate for any work they do. OTHERWISE, you will be the last on their list. Around here, any house that gets built for less than $100 per square foot is a tent.:doah:

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I hate this. The part where you get family or friends involved is not always a wise idea. Too much can be done, said and experienced that its sometimes best to leave such said work to unrelated persons and not have any friends doing anything.
    If you value your friendships more than a house, let it be. But if you don't mind using your friends for their labor, and don't care about losing them as friends, too, then by all means, go for it.

5. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

might be a new law, but VA loans can be used on new construction.

all my "friends" with the materaisl ar emore business friends. we throw each other jobs, and get cheaper materials. i would get the materials to give to the builder.

my real friends can support me by drinking beer with me:wink1:

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Be careful if you are going to act as the general. You have to watch licensing laws, insurance and workers' comp issues, permit/zoning/variance issues, tax issues, etc. I see lota of self proclaimed "DIY general contractors". Always after they are in a bad mess. Do your homework.

7. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

How big of a home do you need? I saw a neat artical on "Katrina homes". They are prefab homes kinda like the old Sears homes. You have to take care of the foundation and utilites, but the homes range in price from 35,000 to 60,000.

8. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

will do. my friends father worked a s a gc for 30 years and he will be there with for evey step. being in my business is a definite plus, so in all those ways i should ve covered very well

thanks

9. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Reasonably... depends how you finish it out and how fancy you want it.. also depends on where in the country
    70 dollars per square foot on the budget low end... 120 on the high end,, before super custom stuff.. but an 80-100 dollar per square foot house today can have nice ammenties, be well built, be energy conscious, and have some custom touches in it
    5 years ago I built a nice shop for 20 a square foot... today it would be closer to 30...
    Friends.. hmmm ,, I have found friends dont always work so well in business relationships...
    I have also experienced that I have never been able to bring a house in under budget,,, as an example this summer concrete costs were changing weekly here... doesnt sound like much.. a couple of bucks a yard here a couple of bucks for this or that upgrade or change,, but bam they add up quick...
    I plan 20 percent over in any construction budget,, then if I have money left over it makes me feel great

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Modular ...thats what I'd do..

In this area,you can buy a NICE "Modular" home for much less than 100K--I've seen 2 built recently,one right next door to me,and another 3 houses away--both have 2x10 joists and 2x6 wall studs,all plywood,no "waferboard" crap--and they were in the 60-90 thousand dollar range..took only one day to erect,and about a week to finish the "optional" porch and garage on them..they were completely furnished,when delivered they had furniture and rugs already installed,and even pictures on the wall!..:eek1:

I'd say they are better constructed than 90% of the "stick built" homes I see going up all around here..most use OSB board and the cheapest size timbers the codes allow,so developers can maximize profits..these modular houses dont "look" pre-fabbed,and many different styles are available,and options can be added..you can just have it erected and finish the interior yourself if desired,to save money..

Another home down the street a classmate of mine built is a pre-fab LOG home--it looks like a huge mansion like Barbara Mandell had,but it only cost him 75K,and the matching log garage was another 30K,has 2 stories with an apartment above it!..he's refused offers of 500K for it!..he inherited the land it sits on,only about 1 acre or so,and there is a Lowe's store in the backyard just past the woods behind it..hate to see what it would sell for with a larger lot away from the stores and traffic!..

I think I'd go modular now,if I were to build a house..it used to be they were cheap and poor quality,but no more..after biulding my quonset garage,and seeing how fast it went up and how sturdy it is,and its low cost,I doubt I could have built a wooden garage for that price in the same size range..

My neighbors said the hardest part of building the modular homes, was finding a cement contractor who'd pour a foundation "right on the money",so the house would fit right the first time--many are "sloppy" with the forms and measurements,knowing as the stick built houses are being built, they can "fudge" things a bit if its not 100% to specs..I had the same problem with my quonset's foundation..not much "fudge factor" as far as the foundation goes..if its an inch off,the building wont bolt down to it!..you need someone GOOD with a laser ,to lay it out RIGHT!...:crazy:

11. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

We built ours. We did everything except plumbing, HVAC, and concrete ourselves. It's about 1450 square feet (2 car attached garage, mid to high end materials) and the materials and the contracts for those 3 subs ended up at around $130,000 2.5 years ago. Prices have been pretty volatile so it is really hard to get a good, current estimate.

You really need to sit down and estimate each component of the work. It is very difficult to organize everything, but it is very - very gratifying and we saved a bunch of coin by doing it ourselves.

I wouldn't recommend it to everyone, but for those who are willing to do the homework - and who have the time, it can be worth it. At least I know exactly how well every part of my home was constructed :crazy: .

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Newly constructed or a new house? Two different things... one IS built and ready for its 1st owner... the other is a patch of dirt with nothing else on it until you buy the land and build on it. Everything I have seen says before you get a VA loan the house MUST be finished.

j

13. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

There are companies who can help you do this. You furnish the land and they help you plan, get permits, and spec and buy materials.
    www.ubuildit.com is one of them

14. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Many things to plan and make sure that they meet your local laws and regulations.... Along with the land sometime they have requirements attached with it of how and what you can build... Go look at new homes in your area and pay attention to what you like and then incorperate it into your design plans.... also need to look at if your going to have to have utillities pulled to your property and find out who pays for those.... What kind of sewer system is in the area.... if it's septic than you'll want to conferm that it passes a perk test.... Is the land use local water or well? How deep did naybors have to go to hit water.... I would have it witched... some property has underground water supply and others don't.... Are you planning on having a basement? plan for a sump pump and design it in the basement... Landscape.... Civil design is something that you want done also... I'ts great that you have survey covered... but you need someone to understand it too... I forget what line of work your in but I would also design the house with an Audio/video/communication room.... Run CAT5 at the same time that you run cable (I cant remember the coaxle cable required for HDTV) and Telephone... along with security and fire wiring....if you are building a two story house I would run empty conduit from one floor to another for future needs....

15. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

PROGRAM MANAGEMENT AND PERFORMANCE
    Today, the VA Loan Guaranty Program provides housing credit assistance to veterans, active-duty personnel and eligible surviving spouses. VA guaranteed loans are made by private lenders to eligible veterans for the purchase of a home which must be for their own personal occupancy. Once the loan is approved by a lender VA will guarantee a portion of it to the lender. This guaranty protects the lender against loss up to the amount guaranteed and allows a veteran to obtain favorable financing terms. A VA guaranteed loan can be used by veterans to purchase a home, build a home, repair a home, refinance an existing loan or to buy a manufactured home

here is one paragraph from one of their pages

16. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

You definately need to do a little more research on whether you can get a VA construction loan. That paragraph can be taken to mean you can have a home built rather than build it yourself. It may be difficult to get reasonable financing for the construction phase without experience building homes.

"Build a home" means different things to different people.