Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BUILDING A 305

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by COOTER, Nov 4, 2001.

1. COOTER

COOTER Registered Member

I PICKED UP A PERFORMER INTAKE,600 CARB,AND A SET OF HEADERS FOR $200.I FIGURED WHILE IM IN THERE I SHOULD GO AHEAD AND PUT IN A CAM.MY QUESTION IS ABOUT HEADS.MY BUDDY SAID I SHOUD PUT A SET OF 350 HEADS ON IT.WILL THIS DO ANYTHING FOR ME AND WHAT KIND SHOULD I GET?I PLAN ON GETTING THEM FROM A JUNKYARD AND GETTING THEM SHAVED,CLEANED AND CHECKED.

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Get a set of Vortecs and have them machined for you intake. Try to stay away from the stock heads unless they're early 70's or before, the newer ones were designed for smog reduction.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>

3. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

350 heads on a 305 will give you low compression. Most of them have 76cc chambers. If you get the Vortecs, that will be about 8.5:1 I'd guess(they have 64cc chambers). Look in to the World products 305 Torquers. These are really good 305 heads(if a 305 can be "good").

You should seriously consider getting a 350 mill.

Still Poundin' "pavment" after all these years!!! [​IMG]

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

305s weren't made in the early 70's. The first year for the 305 as far as I know is 1977.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

5. COOTER

COOTER Registered Member

THATS OK I DONT WANT 305 HEADS ANYWAY.SO 350 HEADS WILL GIVE ME LOWER COMPRESSION?I DONT THINK I WILL FIND ANY VORTEC HEADS IN THE JUNKYARD.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You can probably find Vortec heads in the JY. They started putting them on GM trucks in '96. But it costs $200 or so to have a set of old heads properly freshened up. Add that to the price of a set of used heads and you get pretty close to the $430 or so that a brand new set of heads would cost you. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

7. COOTER

COOTER Registered Member

OK SAY I GET A SET OF VORTEC HEADS.THE INTAKE I HAVE
    WONT FIT RIGHT?WHAT WILL A PLAIN OLD STOCK SET OF 350 HEADS DO FOR ME BETTER THAN THE 305 HEADS ALREADY ON IT?

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep, you would need a different intake. But the Vortec heads will make way more power. If this is a budget job, just stick with what you can afford. I don't think that the 350 heads would make enough difference for you to really notice. The cheapest way to do it is to just install the intake and headers onto your existing engine and not mess with the heads. That would be way less work. Then just drive the 305 until it dies. Meanwhile, keep an eye out for a 350 builder and get it prepped and ready for when the 305 finally kicks the bucket. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

9. COOTER

COOTER Registered Member

THANKS FOR ALL THE ADVICE.I AM GONNA FORGET ABOUT GETTING HEADS AND THROW THIS THING TOGETHER.GOT TO HURRY MY 88 K1500 IS ABOUT TO [censored] THE BED.VALVESTEM SEALS LEAK,TRANNY SLIPS,EXAUST MANIFOLD STUD BROKEN,AND THE NEWEST BREAK MY FRONT AXLE BUT ITS STILL ROLLIN.I GUESS I WILL KNOW ITS TIME TO FIX IT WHEN MY FRONT TIRE PASSES ME GOIN DOWN THE ROAD.