Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Building a 350, with 350 hp, any tips?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by foxman, Mar 19, 2002.

1. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

My rod is knocking, and I'm saving up for all the necessary parts to rebuild this baby with enough power to satisfy my greedy right foot! I've heard of different things to be done, but I wanted to hear from the best of you guys here, what is the best way for me to go, (without dropping my pants on the whole deal) to get 350 out of my 350. Keep in mind it is tbi, and I will be using it as a daily driver (I'll want decent gas milleage) in the mean time, I'll keep savin the money. Thanks.

2. 1bigk10

1bigk10 1/2 ton status

Go for a mildly big cam. a two stage cam gat the crank ad rods balanced go to roller hydraluic lifters and rockers and get a valve job while your at it. go with headers and 2 1/2 inch pipes go with flomaster deltaflows and keep the engine running cool but no matter how you build it to get more horseys you will need todeal out a little cash just keep asking and find what you like and what you can afford.

3. Jay73K20

Jay73K20 Registered Member

If you don't want to change your heads and I know you don't want to hog them out to reach 350hp because it will hurt your low end torque. If that statement was true then I would shoot for 290-300hp. I would start with a decent comp hydraulic flat tappet cam like comp cam 12-235-2 unless you have a stock roller cam. Then I would go with comp's 08-502-8. I personally have the 12-235-2 cam in my vortec head 350 SBC and I love it. I would buy a rebuild kit from Northern automotive, their kit sells for 150+, I upgraded it with hyperutactic cast pistons, double roller timing chain, a comp cam, lifters and pushrods and the total was 300 and change. Machine shop cost me about 250 for the block and the heads should cost 120 to 160 to machine. That is 670 to rebuild with a flat tappet cam. If you get the roller cam the cam alone is 140 extra and I would also buy the appropriate valve springs. You will also have to upgrade the TBI side. If I remember right it is a speed density system, which means it won’t detect the increase airflow, so you will have to talk to a professional like turbo city. They should be able to tell you what injectors, computer chip or fuel regulator to go with. I have also heard good things about the MSD TBI coil. Of course all of the other things like a K&N air filter, headers, Catco cat and a decent muffler and nicely bent pipes.

4. jackedjimmy350

jackedjimmy350 1/2 ton status

chrome engine dress up kits add 20-25 horse alone..

5. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

You should check out ebay, there are some really good deals on parts you'll need, I have seen rotating assemblies for a .030 over 350, Balanced for 400.00, that is Quality parts and depenability that you probly can't find cheaper any where else, complete gasket kit and cam kit your looking at around, 650.00 plus your machine shop cost so realistically your looking at 1200.00 for all the cost and little extra's that are always there at the end of a project, and probly wont see more than 320 h.p. without some new heads and or some series porting to the stock heads you have GOOD luck, ow check out this place for good deals on complete Kits www.speedomotive.com they have some respectable prices but there H.P. figures are a little far fetched

6. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

I think your goals a bit lofty. If you want to get 1hp per cube, I would suggest just buying the crate. I am not a big fan of "pieceing" together a combo. It is hard to really guess what you need for a true dyno-able HP rating. that being said here is my combo

9.5 compression
    270-280 duration cam
    blanced crank, rods and pistons
    Oil Valley splash guard
    widiage tray & crank scraper (you will need even HP possible:) )
    Edlebrock RPM TBI manifold
    GM Vortec ALUMINUM (so you can run 89 with the 9.5 compression) Or have your heads REALLY worked over.
    Shorty Headers
    Mallory Unilite Distributor
    High Flow Fuel Pump and a Stay Kool H.F. water pump also.
    A HiPo TBI will be needed to support that number, IMO. I don't think a stock unit will be able to deliver.

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I gotta agree with Zack. A 350 hp 350 is a little too much to expect out of a stock TBI and computer. To get that kind of Hp out of a TBI engine you will have to get a PROM chip programed to match your engines cam, and flow profiles. This can cost $350+ You will also need a reworked 454 TBI at around $350+.Also a 350 hp small block would be a bit much for a daily driver if you expect to get decent fuel milage.
    If you build your engine make sure you keep in mind that you are building a computer controled engine they require different cam profiles than a carbed engine. You will also have to keep all the stock type ignition and sensors to make it work if you keep the TBI.
    The stock computer doesn't like cams with durations more than around 214 degrees and lifts over .450" may cause rough idle and low vacume at idle and hurt your MPG. Unless you burn a new chip for it.

You might want to check out one of these crate engines<a target="_blank" href=http://www.sdpc2000.com/cart.asp?action=catalog_start&amp;catid=1577>TBI performance crate engines</a>
    Of the two the 300(claimed)hp would most likely work with a stock TBI and chip. But I would recomend getting an aftermarket stage 2 chip.
    To make the 330 hp vortec work. A High flow TBI and reprogramed chip would be needed to get the most out of it.
    Also headers and good exhaust are a must

Here's a few more sites that sell performance TBI stuff and performance chips to give you a few more ideas.
    howell-efi.com
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.fastchip.com/>fastchip.com</a>

8. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Not gonna happen with the stock ecm and tbi deal... you need to upgrade injectors for sure for that kinda power. I personally wouldn't even look at the TBI motor from scroggy. They had a crap load of them come back from what I hear... a large majority are coming from the engine running way too lean. This is all rumor though, but scientfically... I can't see anyway that TBI unit can support that power with that injector.Plus the TBI system won't let you do diddley with the cam which hurts.

IMO... you can get better milage with a quad then the TBI. You may want to consider it as an option if you don't run lots of crazy angles. You would still need to wire the TCC circuit to work without the ecm and may have to deal with ESC.