Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

building a beast 700r4

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mopar4life, Aug 25, 2005.

1. mopar4life

mopar4life Newbie

I m building a 700r4 for my 87 Fullsize jimmy. I wanted to keep my np241 and 700r4 instead of upgrading to the 205 and sm465 but i wanted my 700 to be built like a brick sh## house. I got a set of rebestos frictions and alto steels, I also got a corvette servo and a .5 boost valve and a hardened reinforced sunshell. Its not that I plan on puting anything special on or in my engine but i dont want to have to deal with tranny problems again, but you never know. I was wondering if you think i for got any commmon problems that usually need addressing or any other good up grades while im rebuildin it. Thanks

2. Big89Burban

Big89Burban 1/2 ton status

Just make sure to replace every bushing & seal & everything you can see. Even the hard parts if they have even the slightest signs of wear on them. Then get the biggest cooler you can find :waytogo:.

Edit. Look up the slp website. They have listings of what they put in there 4l60's to make them strong. The parts are basically the same.

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Other things that I have seen done along with what you plan is to add a 13 vane pump, 5 pinion front and rear planetaries and a 29 element sprag. I personally have not done this it is just what I have seen.

Ira

4. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

i checked into the 13 vane pump...but i think that it would be excessive unless you had a transbrake or a setup that would require alot of fluid flow. i would however upgrade to a 10 vane pump if you dont have one already. the only reason gm went to the 13 vane pump was that the 4l60e's required alot of fluid flow. pressures stay about the same. if your 10 vane looks good i say save the cash for other upgrades.

ryan

5. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I don't know how well they work but on my next trans I am getting a remote filter gotta be better than the stock filter get a deep pan a big cooler and a temp gauge I have some freinds who build trans and they all say 13 vane pump if you are going for a balls out trans don't forget valve body mods

6. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

good luck with your sh*t brickhouse build, dont want to rain on your parade but I had a good friend of mine who owns a tranny shop do the works to mine. Hardened steels, kevlar band, vette servos, 13 vane pump. Basically I told him to do anything no matter what the cost to make that tranny strong as hell. Well that next one lasted me almost a year. I went through 4 700's before I said screw it and got me a 400. Good luck with your build though, would definitely recommend a finned deep pan, temp gauge, and aux cooler. What kind of setup you building this thing for.

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you want a bombproof 700R4 you don't want a 700R4. You want a 4L80E. You will pay more in the beginning but you will pay less and hate yourself less in the end. I have had a total of 6 different 700R4's in my truck and I will never pay for one again. Everything from a used tranny, stock rebuild, upgraded rebuild, and an beef rebuild. They all died and I am not a hard driver and I don't have alot of HP's.

If you are seriously going to pay the big money for a heavy duty rebuilt 700R4 pay the extra coin and get a 4L80E. It has the strength of a TH400 and has overdrive. It is more involved but is worth the hassle.

Harley

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds like you are on the right track. Add bigger planetaries, sprags, modified valve body, and a good aftermarket torque converter with a billet center hub and you will have a plenty stout tranny for a long time.

As long as it stays cool, has the right gears in the diffs under it, is serviced anually, is not abused, and doesn't have more than 450HP/450ft lbs and it should live a long and happy life.

9. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Man I tell you what I am starting to think that certain trucks don't like certain trans. I have a turbo 350 right now weak motor 40" tires 4.56s and a 203 and I can't keep one in it. I have a freind who ran 3.73 gears with a built 454 40" tires and a 205 and his lasted forever in fact when he swapped a 400 in he sold the trans to a guy and it is still running. My bro in law has a 700(stock rebuild several years ago) w 36" tires high gears and a 350, he doesn't know anything about cars leaves the thing in 4th all the time tranny consantly shifts no cooler hes been running like that for a year no probs and his tranny fluid looks brand new. Just goes to prove trucks are poeple too

10. mopar4life

mopar4life Newbie

I definatley plan on getting a huge coller and +3 quart pan but i dont really plan on doing anything to the motor, i mean the motor is in great shape, but its not really in the budget to get anything over 230 hp. Im gonna run 37 boggers on my 10 bolts,,,,,, i know let the flaming begin but they are just borrowed tires i got a set of 14bolts and waiting fot cash to buy hummer tires and rims .

11. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Who makes the best cooler? Is the brand as important as the style or size?

12. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You should have no problem with a 700 with only 230HP.

If you geared the 10b's right you probably wouldn't have a problem. What are you going to do with two rear 14b's? I'd trade one for a front 8 lug 10B or D44.

13. mopar4life

mopar4life Newbie

sorry brain fart d44. So your saying if i gear those 10blts im not gona break them like tooth picks. Thats really the only reason im upgrading i thougt for sure those axles wouldnt last with 37's

14. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Nope regearing will help your engine turn 37s. In all actuallity regearing will probably break the 10 bolts sooner due to the increased torque mulitiplication.

Ira

15. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Agree.