Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Building A Capable Rig

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TeK, Jun 17, 2006.

1. TeK

TeK 1/2 ton status

Ok so yea I used to be a paid member here but after I sold my K5 I quite coming here. Well I'm interested in building a rig and after having many jeeps and yotas I want another fullsize rig. I'm looking at either picking up a Pickup or Blazer and building it. I'll be using a 454 w/ a SM465 and NP205 twin-sticked.

My really only requirements for the truck are being able to do some light-to-moderate rock crawling, deep sippy holes, mud bogs, and anything in between. My local "4-Wheelin Location) is Badlands over in Attica. I've been everywhere in there and done basically every obstacle.

The truck is gona end up with around 6"-8" total lift and run 44" Cut Boggers in rear w/ 44" Grooved TSLs up front, all mounted on beadlocks. I'm just not sure on how the best way to accomplish the lift and aquire the best flexability and durability.

I'll be running a D60 up front w/ crossover full hydro, 35 spline inners/outers, drive flanges, & 5.13s w/ Detroit. The rear will be a 14BFF w/ 5.13s, Detroit, Disc Brakes, & 1410 pinion yoke.

Then the rest of the stuff is your basic traily ready crap. Fuel cell, OBA, winch(s?). I've wheeled for nearly 8 years now and and like to do the moderate-to-hard stuff with the occasional extreme stuff. Also, body damage is not a concern for me.

So am I on the right track for building a capable rig? Also, let me know what kind of tips you can give me for the suspension.

2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

yeah that would be plenty capable..... I wouldn't run 44's but to each his own. I'd start with a truck and flat bed the rear and just eliminate a lot of sheetmetal right there. Then push your front axle forward 3" or so to keep the tires out of the firewall and start cutting the fenders. Run 52" rear springs up front for flex and shackle flip the rear with some mild lift springs and you ought to be good to go

3. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

do what im doing: lifted 52" springs in front, and lifted 64" springs in rear with a shackle flip. you'll get the height you want, and still be able to flex like a mofo :)

i wouldnt run 4d4's either. ive got wornout 42's now and i just ordered a set of 39.5 iroks radials.

4. TeK

TeK 1/2 ton status

See I like my 44s. My last 3 rigs have had them and I love the clearence I get and the fact that I can go through the deep ****.

5. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I really like being in the 38.5" to 40" range on tires. For me its plenty of tire and still can be built to feel nimble and stable.

EDIT: run what you want, everyone should I just don't like dealing with fitting them.

They are fun in mud !!!!!!

6. muddybuddy

i wont like them mainly cuz im trying to keep my truck street legal, and 4d4's are $$$. i would jus run 39.5x18 boggers and call it good. :D

7. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

ya that truck oughtta be able to pop them curbs purdy good.

8. muddybuddy

i wheel my truck thankyou very much:p: she aint no street queen

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

sounds like a plan to me. A doubler might be a nice thing to have... but having a 454 can "make up" for a lack of gearing. :thumb:

j

10. TeK

TeK 1/2 ton status

a 454 backed by a sm465 mated to a twin-sticked 205 should be plenty of gearing for what I want. If its not then I'll put a doubler in.

and to MattK, I wheel all my rigs. I've had a few show trucks and I wheeled them to(no rocks but mud). I don't build something for it to not function. I build it to function.

Its not gona be that tall. I'm hackin the fenders to hell and going maybe 8" total lift.

11. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

haha yeah i was just being gay.

sounds like a plan man. sounds like a real beast of a plan. make a buildup thread!

12. TeK

TeK 1/2 ton status

I'm waiting on picking up a truck. I found a truck on 44s, a truck on 33s, and a blazer on 35s. I just gota see which one I want first.

13. TeK

TeK 1/2 ton status

I think I've figured the suspension. Check this.

Front:
    4" Front Springs
    1" Zero Rate to move axle forward 2"
    1" ORD Body Lift
    2" Longer Shackles

Rear:
    1 Ton Shackle Flip n Switch w/ Front Mount Also(6" Shackles)
    1" Zero Rate to move axle back 1"
    1" ORD Body Lift
    Stock 52" Springs

That should be pretty flexible and with the right amount of trimming should clear the 44s perfectly.

14. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

as long as you have no inhibitions with the sawsall. rock on dude!

15. TeK

TeK 1/2 ton status

Well I found me a rig. Not just gota debate if I want to buy it. Its got a 396 BBC in it from a 69 chevelle and also has a sm465 already in it. I also found my chevy d60 front, 14BFF rear, and np205 case. Then I got a buddy who is getting me the hook-up on some 44" TSLs if I want.

The rig should be pretty bad. Be using alot of parts from DIY4x.

16. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

Hey... I'm down in Louisville... I would love to make a run to Attica sometime, but need to work out some more bugs before I hit the highway for 4 hours. I'll message you when I plan on goin up! Take lots of pics of the build!

17. TeK

TeK 1/2 ton status

thats cool. We could hit attica one time, then maybe hit Laurel and then if your up for it one time Tellico.