Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Building a custom box

Discussion in 'Audio' started by muddin4fun, Aug 27, 2001.

1. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Isn't there some special formula or something for finding out how much space the speaker needs?

It's been lovely, but I have to scream now.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/>http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/</a>

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

YES....

Usually the manufacturer of the speaker will provide the recommended enclosure size for both a 'sealed' and 'ported' design. Start with that....they will be the most able to tell you what should sound good. Beyond that, you can get software that will help you design a box, based on some parameters you provide about the speaker. I am pretty sure that Prembird has software to do this.....though to be honest, given the amount of specs you'll need to get and provide to him it will probably still be easier to check with the speaker manufacter directly and get the box dimensions from them.

If you tell us more about the speakers you are planning to use, I'm sure someone here will have suggestions.

-Greg72

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I know with JL's they are listed on thier site. I don't remember the link but it list ported and sealed applications.

<font color=red>It's not what you drive, but what drives you</font color=red>( Or is it what you work on,lol)
    <font color=orange> 1955 willy's on a 1977 blazer chassis </font color=orange>

4. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I have a freind with the soft ware, but I wasn't sure if it was a set space or whatever...anyway..LOL! I'm gonna be building one for some 6x9's and some 10" subs. It's gonna have to be a funky looking box.
    Anyone know where I might be able to get this software?

It's been lovely, but I have to scream now.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer>My wonderful site</a>

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I wouldn't worry too much about the size of the box for the 6x9's. I'd go with whatever you have room for....it can probably be pretty small. I would build a "shoebox size" box for each one (if that fits your space requirements) and stuff some polyfill in each box just to get rid of the "woody sound" of the enclosure......call it a day on the 6x9's... and move on to those 10's!

For the 10's....tell us the brand and model # and I bet we can figure it out for you. It will be easier than buying some box-building software that you'll probably only use one time!

One final note...If you are using the 6x9's and the 10" subs in the same vehicle...it would make sense to limit the amount of low frequency information that you send to those 6x9's....they will sound better and cleaner, and you can let the 10's play the real LOW stuff for you. With a layout like that, you could even run the 6x9s off the deck directly (no extra amp) and then buy a nice "beefy" amp to run the subs..........just an idea. [​IMG]

-Greg72

6. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I am pretty sure that Prembird has software to do this.....

<hr></blockquote>
    Yes i do have the software for it all i will need to know is the specs on the speaker and i can tell you what internal size you will need.. also what will sound the best with size, port, sealed, etc... i can compair them next to each other and see if a ported enclosure with different port lengths and diam. will sound like compaired to a sealed enclosure... Or just tell me what brand and model the subs are and i will get the info and run it..

Prembird
    [​IMG] <font color=blue> If it aint</font color=blue><font color=red> LOUD </font color=red><font color=blue> Then turn it </font color=blue><font color=red> UP</font color=red> [​IMG]