Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Building a gun box....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84k5, Jan 17, 2004.

1. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I'm buiding a gun box for my buddy. It's for a revolver. He wants something that is lockable and if the gun were to go off somehow inside the box, it wouldn't hurt anyone. He knows gun safety and storage, so please don't chime in about that.

I was thinking about making it rectangular, so the gun could only go in one way or the other. Make the sides it could point at half inch plate, and make the rest quarter inch. Would 1/2" be enough to stop a bullet?

Also looking for ideas on the latches and locking mechanism. Looking to make the thing more or less unbreakable.

All ideas welcome! TIA

2. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

Just wondering why
    he would have a loaded gun in a gun box?
    if its gonna be loaded?
    no since in keeping it locked up.
    just my opion
    good luck with the box and let us know how it turns out

3. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Again, I know this. The gun is not going to be loaded. It's sort of like a last chance safety measure. I'm building it from scratch, so why not?

4. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

If it's not gonna be loaded that's a different issue, But if was to loaded, at that close of range the box might not stop a bullet. You would need some type of armor plate or Kevlar to slow the bullet down. And besides it should have the safety on when put away. There lock boxes out there that are relatively inexpensive and safe. There are many ways to lock it so that it won't go off inside the box, like a trigger lock. Just a thought from an avid shooter.
    Bill

5. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

Just sounded like it was going to loaded.
    because of this statement you made

Make the sides it could point at half inch plate, and make the rest quarter inch. Would 1/2" be enough to stop a bullet?

6. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Yeah I see why I confused you, so I was just clarifying. It appears the bullet proof side is a no go. I will bomb proof the locking mechanism then. I don't doubt for a second that it would be cheaper and way easier to just buy something. I need a project for my welding class, and I thought this would be fun. Ill post up my blue print in awhile and see what you shooters think.

7. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah I see why I confused you, so I was just clarifying. It appears the bullet proof side is a no go. I will bomb proof the locking mechanism then. I don't doubt for a second that it would be cheaper and way easier to just buy something. I need a project for my welding class, and I thought this would be fun. Ill post up my blue print in awhile and see what you shooters think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great project to work on
    also when its done please post some pics,
    Thanks and good luck with the class

8. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

So what thickness should I use on the walls? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I'm thinking 1/4".

I gave up on the idea...but just out of curiosity, how thick of steel could a bullet go through if fired from a distance of 1/2-1"?? I'm not a gun person if you couldn't tell. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

9. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you didn't say it was for welding class. Do a 1/2" frame w/ 1/4" top & bottom. And line the inside with foam & felt.
    Bill

10. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I gave up on the idea...but just out of curiosity, how thick of steel could a bullet go through if fired from a distance of 1/2-1"?? I'm not a gun person if you couldn't tell.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is hard to answer, it depends largely on the caliber of the gun. A 9mm will not have the same effect as a 44 magnum. Most of your average handguns would probably not penetrate 1/4" thick steel unless it was a larger caliber. I would go 1/2 to be on the safe side.

Of coarse, I would not put a loaded gun into a gun safe in the first place. I would worry more about the thickness in regards to how hard it is to break into.

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

hard to say if 1/4 or 1/2" is enough, whats the caliber of the gun? are we talking a .25 auto here or S&W's new .500? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

12. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Yeah, there really are too many variables to say for sure what would work.

I guess I would also like to know how any modern firearm would spontaneously discharge. Most have provisions that make it impossible to fire without physically pulling the trigger. If your looking at a gun that doesn't...keep looking /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif