Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Building a jeep q's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RootBreaker, Jun 21, 2005.

1. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Ok so I am picking up a 1985 fullsize jimmy for $100

runs and everything...
    I am taking the steering wheel and hydraulic clutch stuff....

now since there is a 305/smc465/np208 in this baby... how hard and would it work.. to place all this in a 1995 Jeep that currently has a 4 banger?

my bro wants to drop a v-8 in his jeep. Since it came stock with a 4cylinder I was told the tranny and xfer case will not hold up.... so we have the parts.. but what about the ease and can it be done?

also going to do about 5" lift and 35's

then the axles will not hold so we will end up swapping them too....

just trying to figure out some stuff.... expecially from the older motor in a newer jeep... as a daily driver... need emmissions to pass... :crazy:

2. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

It will work, you will just have to make/modify the t-case crossmember, and either buy new motor mounts or make your own.

I don't know alot about emissions since I don't have to worry about that here, but doesn't the engine you swap in need to be the same year or newer?

To make it work you will just need to figure what wires need power and splice the jeep harness into the chevy engine harness, it is not too hard.

3. RootBreaker

thought we would take the wiring from the chevy.... thus making the motor happy.... thinking it was a heep..... however maybe we may be better finding a 4.0 jeep motor in the junkyard... dunno.....

4. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

Yes, I would use the chevy harness, You should just need to get power to a couple of the wires in the chevy harness. It's actually very easy, especially with the 85 motor.

I had an 87 TBI engine in my jeep, and used the engine harness, just had to splice a few wires in to provide power for everything. I don't remember how many, but it was less than ten wires I believe. I'll have to get into it again soon since i am in the process of swapping in a 93 TBI 350.

5. ksblaze83

ksblaze83 1/2 ton status

I dunno about a carb'd 350 or a TBI 350...but swapping in an scpi 4.3 is proving to be a pain in the ASS!!! I got a 4.3/4L60e/231 in a 91 wrangler and i'm finishing up the wiring now and then fuel lines/vac. lines and it *should*be running!!

6. RootBreaker

well this is taking a daily driver... so start friday night and she NEEDS to be running monday morning.... :crazy:

we are in the " Looking " stage right now... but will be doing it eventually...

7. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

It will never meet emissions on the up and up. FED emissions standards state the motor cannot be from an older model year than the vehicle. You would have to swap in a newer than 95 motor into that jeep. This is not to say you couldn't find a shop to pass it, just be warned it will be shaddy to get the emissions passed.

As far as swapping a 4.0 in for a 2.5l that is harder than swapping a chevy in. The bellhouse on the 2.5l shares the SBC pattern and the 4.0l shares the AMC pattern. The AX5 found stock behind the 2.5l can't handle anything larger. The Tcase on the 2.5l is 21 spline input but the 4.0l is 23 spline. So basically to put a 4.0 where a 2.5 was you have to replace everything except the motor mounts. So in short you would be better off swapping a drivetrain that has a lot more power not just a little power.

8. SUPER'BURB

SUPER'BURB 1/2 ton status

6.2 puller is right, I can't see you having a prayer on passing emissions. I've heard that NJ is as bad as here in Cali.

I changed my mind about the V-8 swap when I looked into the emission problems :mad: .

Sorry man...

:D Just wait till the next smog check and swap right after. If it is like here you will have 2 years of fun running till it's a problem again. :D

9. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

I have done a few swaps and none of them ran on monday.

10. ksblaze83

ksblaze83 1/2 ton status

6.2 puller...

Personally i would try to get all the little crap done before he/you start to tear it apart. Figure it will need a radiator or custom mounts for the chevy one, new or modified x-member, plus what seemed to be the biggest PITA was the exhaust...not a lot of room (but i have the stock manifolds on there no headers. headers would prolly make it easier...those were the main things that took a while on my project...

if all the little crap goes right then shouldn't be that bad getting it done that quick...just a few friends and a few cold beverages!

11. RootBreaker

we pulled my motor and replaced it... on a 30 pack and one night.... so beer makes the night pass..... :grin:

I know that as my neighbor is " Murphy "

Well actually NJ inspection isnt that bad... they make you take the low idle emmissions test... however my truck failed it the first go around.... until I put the Guaranteed to pass in and she flew through with flying colors....well all green to be exact..... :crazy: