Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

building a plow blazer? what would you do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bablazer73, Dec 28, 2002.

1. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I had a 78 GMC high siera a couple of years ago. had a 305 th350/203 and 3.08 gears. meyers plow. was the best damn plow truck I ever had. It started falling apart body wise. so I replced it with a 84. basically set up the same. 305, th350/208 and 3.08 gears. same tires as the other truck. This truck sucked! It always got stuck. slid all over. When spring came, I was so pissed at it I used it as a parts truck! The next year I had a short box truck. basically the same except it had 16" mt tires. was a little better, but I hated having the box, so I sold it. This year I got an 87 blazer 350/sm465/208 with 3.08's. once agian this truck sucks!! We got 2 ft of snow over xmas and it wouldn't even plow it!! I had to shovel most of my driveway!! so I guess my ?? is, I plan on keeping this truck so What would you do to it to build the ultimate plow blazer! I really like this blazer. but it's also going down the PISS ME OFF path my 84 did. This truck has a fisher plow, and I know the frame sits lower than my meyers did.

2. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

So the biggest problen is with traction or power needed to push the snow. I would think about some 4.10 or even 4.56 gears to start.

3. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

I would get a longer wheelbase... those short wheelbases get pretty squirly with a plow on front.

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

More wieght would help. I had a Dodge truck with a plow and I put tractor weights on it and it made a difference.

5. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

sounds like your having traction problems, if you dont have one already in the back, put a L\S diff in the back, or weld up the diff, or a spool, if you break things upgrade to 3\4 or even 1 ton, but i would just say beef things up as much as you can, make it comfortable with a nice sterio, and get your traction situation settled, some mud or all terrain tires would probly provide some more traction for you. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I would assume a heavier vehicle would plow better. My friend has an '88 3/4 ton Suburban (350/465/208/ 4.10 gears) with an 8' Meyers plow. It does pretty good. I got to plow with it last year when he was out of town. I like 4 speeds, but learned that an automatic is so much easier doing small parking lots. My leg was sore for a day after plowing.

Another friend has a '72 Suburban with a 6' Meyers blade. It has a 350/TH350/205 with 3.07 gears, and it plows good. I owned it for 3 months after a trade, then we traded back again. I got it stuck once, but that was in over 2 feet of snow.

The Utility bed truck I have now does decent. It has a chunk of railroad track welded underneath the utility box. It's definitely heavy. It's got a TH400 and 205 with a 454, so for me it's perfect for plowing.

And yet another friend has a '74 K5 that he plows with, and I've never heard him complain. He says it's much more maneuverable to plow smaller lots.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

For a plow truck, I'd look for a older 3/4 Ton burb.

8. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Well,for plowing i put a locker in the rear, and use tall skinny 7.50-16 tires. they dont float over snow at all they just cut through. also doesnt hurt to have a few hundred lbs in the back. 3.73 or 4.10 gears wouldnt hurt. Blazers are the ideal plow rigs being short and manuverable. Contrary to what these guys are saying stay away from a burb, no visibility and a mile long.

9. bablazer73

I had a 8' 3/4 ton truck and it was to long to plow this driveway with. narrow and sharp turn just behind house. I did plan on throwing in a set of 3/4 ton light duty axels(10bolt/14sf) that I have in a parts truck. they have 3.73 gears. but I dont know what to do as far as lockers. Lockers in the rear on snow/ice have a tendency to slid alot on corners. This is also my daily driver. I was thinking maybe just a posi/locker in front. When the 3/4 ton axels go in, I will put on new m/t 235/85/16's. thats what the 82 short box had. I never lost traction, but hated plowing with a truck. I was also thinking maybe a 2" lift. just to get the plow frame up a little. I just don't understand why none of these trucks can do what my 78 did!!

10. bablazer73

this is also my daily driver. Although, someday I do want to do a burb, I need the short wheelbase to do this driveway. long, narrow driveway. opens to 2 cars in rear of house.

11. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

A Limited slip or a Tru-Trac diff in the rear will help alot. I'm not sure how a locker will act trying to plow (and turn) on a K5. A good set of narrow snow radials does wonders.

12. bablazer73

I am running small narrow tires now. I took of the 31/10.50's. I was just worried that running a locker/posi in the rear would give me problems driving everyday. I have heard people say that posi/lockers in snow can be unpredictable, and can cause more problems! Out of all my plow/winter trucks, none have had a posi. I had a firebird with a posi for a winter wreck and every time I took a corner and tried to accelorate, it would slide out. (sometimes I pushed it for fun) but sometimes just a slight tap on the throttle and she was gone! I know the benies of a posi, but still wonder if just one in the front would do the job. This truck never goes off road.(unless I'm plowing!!)

13. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

I would think that most of the time plowing you are driving straight rather than plowing while turning. An air locker would certainly help with traction and you can disengage it for corners. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

14. bablazer73

yeah! an air locker would be the nuts!!but the cost!! I have also locked at the OX lox as an option, but the still are 600+$$
    I do want to put the axels I have in, but the rear is a 14sf. not the most common to build, but I have one. May go buy a 14ff.

15. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    yeah! an air locker would be the nuts!!but the cost!!

[/ QUOTE ]

The last storm we had here would pay for that plus new gears!

16. Todd 91

Todd 91 Registered Member

17. bablazer73

yeah, i used to go there BEFORE i found ck5. the posts are very slow compared to what this site can do!! but some good info.

18. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Once you get used to a locker in the back youll have no probs driving on ice and snow. I love mine now. I wouldnt put a locker in the front of a plow truck cause it will cause the front to slide sideways really easily.slide sidways into a bank with a plow on and your frigged for the most part.

19. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

with the SM465, gearing "shouldnt" be a problem. BUT, i would still change to 4.10's, dually(to be odd, different, and nice for a bit more traction without buying rdiculous size tires) BIG BLOCK!, stock or modified you will like the BB for plowing way more. also, maybe a hydraulic ram assisted steering. and some nice fog and driving lamps.
    Grant

20. bablazer73

no big block in this one! thats in the 73. and when I get the ram assist, thats for the 73 also. dually blazer?????????? well, it would be different! I think the AZ heat is getting to you!