Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Building a slightly stronger 10 bolt?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Feb 7, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I am looking for stronger axles for my 10Bolt. I found the front ones but I want to build my rear. I know I hould just upgrade to a 14Bolt and I was going to but at the moment whether I can get one is in question. The guy who promised me a Dana 44 and 14bolt seems to have promised them to someone else too. Not sure if he actually has two sets or what, but to be safe I am looking at my options. I want to run either 37x12.5 SSRs or 36x12.5 TSL Radials and still have a rear in one piece. Any help?

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

get ahold of moser axels, or strange. They both make stronger axels. Moser has a street axel and race axels. Use them and use a C-Clip eliminater kit. Won't make it bullet proof, but will make it stronger. But the cost of doing this is more than buying a 14ff!!

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I've got to talk to my buddy about those axles. He techinically offered them to me 2 weeks before the other guy so I have first dibs. I really want the 14Bolt FF out back with 4.10 gears(lower than my present) and matched gearing Dana 44 up front.

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I would not bother building up a 10 bolt if you are planning to run tires over 33" (Maby 35 if you are easy on it)
    It just aint worth it. It costs too much. They were never designed to take the stresses of large tires.
    Just go with a 14 bolt.
    The D 44 aint much stronger if any, than the 10 bolt either. but it does have the Dana Name if it makes you feel better.
    Better to save your mony and look around for a D60 if you are going to run big tires in my opinion.

5. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

forget about upgrading shafts, they aren't the weak part in 10/12b- it's the sprider gears, with 35s or 36s you'll be ok with a 10b front, i wheel my HARD and haven't had any probs, i did break my rear because i was in 2wd, and there went that 12b. Buy some warns or milemarker hubs with fusible links if you stay with the 10b though, then that will break before your shafts or spider geras hopefully, and only about $20-30 to replace. good luck, i'd try and get those axle though, especially if you want to go bigger!

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

even the magasine that was trying to pimp hub fuses destroyed several axles before a hub fuse broke.