Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Building a system for a regular cab truck, Z3PR/chevyin?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Zeus33rd, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Ok, so this is what I have now-

$99 cheapo JVC head unit powering these-
    Sony Explode 6.5" in the doors
    New Pioneer 3.5" in the dash.

A pair of Pioneer 4x10's behind the seat in the cab corners, not hooked to anything yet.

Sony Explode mono sub amp powering a 6 year old Polk Audio DB 4ohm 10" sub in a small sealed box.

This crap just isn't cuttin it. Obviously.

I've been reading a bit in this audio forum, and it seems that Z3PR and chevys are the ones to talk to in here. In one post a Phoenix Gold 5 channel amp was reccomended. I really like this idea...It's hard to find room for two amps and a subwoofer box behind the seat of a regualr cab. I think the OCTANE-R 9.0:5 was the one mentioned-
    http://www.phoenixgold.com/2004/octane-ramps.html

I'd like to run the Infinity Kappa 5 1/4 component set in the Q-logic kick panel pods. The reason for wanting the kick panel pods is becasue my leg blocks the sound from the speaker in the door now. If I move my leg alittle bit, the sound totally changes.

The amp, above speakers and kick panel pods are about all I have figured out so far. I'd like to get some opinions on how to put the rest of it together.

For a sub, I just want it to sound good. I don't listen to any rap or r&b. Or country. Pantera, Metallica, Atreyu, System Of A Down, etc. I'd like to have a 4 ohm, DVC sub, so I have the option of wiring for 2 ohms if I want. $200 range. I was thinking either the Infinity Kappa Perfect 10d, or the Rockford Fosgate Punch Stage 3. Or anything else that ya'all can reccomend.

What to do with the rest of the speakers? Should I leave the speakers in the dash to be powered by the head unit? Should I ditch the 4x10's behind the seat and build some kind of custom thing to mount a set of 6x9's? My thought was to leave the dash speakers powered by the head unit, the 5 1/4 set in the kick panels, and a set of Infinity Kappa 6x9's, or 6.5's in the cab corners and the sub- all powered by the Phoenix Gold amp.

For a head unit, I'm open to suggestions. As long as it plays MP3's, is sat radio ready and has the appropriate amount of pre-outs, I don't really care.
    I do kinda like this Panasonic head unit-
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-gQ00jD5yuct/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&I=133C9801
    Pretty impressive internal amp at 31w rmsx4.

So what'cha think?

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

The kickpanel encloseres are the way to go . Better sound imaging . I will do that eventually , but for now I am on a budget build and use baffles and the heads proccessor to make the midrange , and the imaging sound good with the stock dash locations .

I have Soundstreams in the dash , and Memphis reference series in the rear for my highs and mids . Sizes 3.5 and 4x10 . I have the hp and lp set @ 78 hz . Sound great with the baffles installed . Real clear , I actually had to set the sound more to the rear with the new Soundstreams in the dash .

If I had the money I would have the q-logic kickpanels , and probably just do Soundstream all the way around .

As for the rockford fosgate speakers , they sound real good . I got some at Blazer Bash , one good , one blown .

The single good one sounded so good hooked to my buddys amp ( which is pushing his Kicker 15's ) , that I spent the last 6 months on ebay until I found a set .

They are rated waaaay under what they will take in terms of power .

( when I got back into it , I started doing my homework , I just lack the proper fundage :thumb: )

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I do like the kick panal enclosures, but before you spend top dollor ordering from Crutchfield, I recomend calling your local car stereo shop and seeing what they would need for them, or too build you a set. I'm very happy with my 4-Channel Phoenix Gold amp. A 5-channel amp is very nice if you don't have the room for a sepreat amp for your sub(s). Only drawback I've seen is the sub channel on those 5-channel amps aren't very powerfull. So you're limited on subs, you need too stay in the power range of your amp. But that's okay, for instanse, the TREO Engineering 12" TSi is rated at 200watts rms. TSi Watch the OHMs on the Infinity Kappa speakers. The Infinity Kappa's in my doors and rear deck are 2 OHM speakers, but if I remember correctly, the Infinity Kappa Perfects are 4 OHM speakers. Now lets talk head units. I highly recomend getting a headunit with 3 sets of RCA outs, and a setting too turn off the inturnal amp. Sounds much cleaner in my honest opinion. Here's a good one. Just do your research before you spend your hard earned money. I do alot of my car stereo shopping on Ebay.

4. Zeus33rd

Hmmm....Do I really need anything more than what one of these 5 channel amps puts out? It's just a regular cab truck- I don't want to blow the back window out of it's seal. lol

What about something like this?
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_4335.html

Or this-
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_3587.html

If not either of those...Any of these?
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_45.html

That place seems to have great prices btw.

As far as the Infinity speakers...The only thing in the "Perfect" line I was considering were the DVC subs. All of the Kappa, non "Perfect" are 2ohm like you said.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

All depends on the subwoffer(s) you use. If you get a sub that is rated in the 200 to 300 watt power range, then one of those 5-channel amps will work great. But not all subwoofers opperate with such low wattage. I'm still running a 12" DVC Kicker L7. It's rated at 750 watts, but I've been feeding it over 1000 watts for quite some time now. Biggest thing is too match your speakers to your amps power output at what OHM. Out of those 5-channel amps, I think I'd go for the Hifonics ZXi 8006. Hifonics Just seams too be the better deal, more bang for the buck. But I'd shop Ebay for that modle.

6. Low76K5

Low76K5 Registered Member

For Kick Panels I bought some $20 6.5" "quickpods" on ebay. I trimmed the edges of the pods and they fit the kick panels fine. He has the 5.25 listed as well now. They are designed to be glassed or painted I think but I just used them as is and I think they look fine. If you use a deep speaker you may need to add a spacer. I made a spacer out of MDF with my jig saw.

The seller was brettnvon

Scott

7. Zeus33rd

Cool....I just found them on Ebay-
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Quic...38646QQitemZ8057520163QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Looks like a pretty cool idea. Do you have any pictures of your instalation? I'd love to see how they look.:D

8. Low76K5

You can see them in the background on my post "down firing 10", I'll run out and snap a good pic, give me 20 minutes.

9. Low76K5

Kick Panel Pics

These are the $20 quickpods from ebay. My speakers are Alpine Type R 6.5s and have a deeeep mounting. I didn't want to cut the sheet metal on my kicks so these are fully surface mount. I had to put some rope caulk on the inside of the pod to ensure a seal in a few spots where the sheetmetal contours a bit. The ring on top came with my speakers, below that is another ring I made out of MDF with a jig saw. I needed 1.75 inches depth beyond what the quickpod offered.

The quickpods are cool but they would have another 3/4 inch of depth if they didn't have the recessed mounting face.

There are some very nice kick pods on 73-87 trucks.com. About $100 shipped and they are designed to fit the contours of our kick panels and IMHO would look darn near factory. I looked at $20 vs $100 and went cheap.

Not pro but workable, I will replace that top factory adapter ring with another MDF creation when I get ambitious. Also might scuff the grills and paint with black undercoating.

Scott

Pass Kick.jpg

Driver Kick.jpg

10. Zeus33rd

Do ya think those things would get in the way of a clutch pedal?

11. Zeus33rd

12. Low76K5

E-brake-yes, it's now worthless. I think a clutch is far enoug over it would clear.

13. Low76K5

And yes, those are the panels. I think they look slick. If you can swing $100 do it! Paint them interior color and you will look factory.