Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Building a Tow vehicle..what would you build???

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by JK5, Nov 12, 2004.

1. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm going to build my 86 K30..for towing.
    It has a 350/465/205 60/14/4.10 set-up now..
    I'm considering a 502 or stroked 454..for a motor.
    It's a single wheel rig now..but I'm considering a dually conversion.
    The dually axles are 4.56's too.

What's your thought's on building the ultimate tow vehicle..on a buget???

What are some advantages of dual wheel rigs???

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I forgot if the 465 has OD or not-

Not an engine expert, so here's my opinion;
    Go with fuel injected if you can, and TPI is better than TBI. You'll get more power, better mileage, and no extra rich or extra lean cylinders. A TPI big block would be cool. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif However, the fuel... oh my, the fuel economy...

Dually rigs are cool- From what i hear, their more stable, more sure footed, have increased load carrying capacity and just look farkin sweet. However, 4.56 gears, with the stock 29" dually wheels coupled with no overdrive will make for one powerful pulling machine.. albiet a bit thirsty.

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

465 has no OD, so fuel economy won't be good, but it does have a good low gear to get a load moving without cooking the clutch.

Dually is far more stable pulling a trailer than single rear wheels. More traction and flotation on soft surfaces, also. But DRW also sucks down more fuel than SRW due to greater rolling resistance and aerodynamic drag.

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

For the tow rig I would completely throw out the idea of a big cubic inch big block. A built huge big block combined with towing a heavy load and you will have to sell the trailered rig for fuel money. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I would keep it a SRW because I am guessing your current ratio is 4.10, step up to a 305 tire, and do a cummins 6BT conversion. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif A fuel plate and 3K governor and that would be a nice tow rig engine, my dodge cummins gets 20+ mileage unloaded and not much less with a 5K load. Everyone makes a bif deal about the price of an used 6BT but I can almost guarantee it would be cheaper than a 502 BBC, but most importantly tow better and save you tons of money in fuel over a couple years. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Infact, for the price of a 502 you could probably add a good used NV4500 5 spd manual behind the 6bt and still have money in your pocket.

5. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I had a 1983 GMC K-3500 with a 454 / 465 combo and 4.56's . It pulled great ! Gas miliage sucked but it pulled HARD & STRONG .
    If you do end up putting a BBC in it I would seriously consider the choice of cylinder heads carefully - they will make a big difference in how the truck tows and where the power band comes in/goes out at .
    For building a tow rig on a mild budget I think a strong low end BBC with a Q-Jet makes a nice ride.
    Tom

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

a cummins 12 valve
    might as well grab the tranny with it. nv4500 or NV5600
    it would cost more this way, and i know yousaid on a budget, but gasoline cost way to much. i traded in my 96 454 k3500 ext cab dually for my 3500cummins srw short box crew and dont regret it once. i get better mPG towing in my dodgebydouble than i did with my dually when empty.

diesel is the way to go, may it be 6.5td or a cummins.

also, airbags in the rear and if you dont start out with a 1 ton frame some frame stregthneing all around.

nice shocks and comfyseats are also a big thing. a towrig shuold be comfy all around asyou plan on spending some hours in it.

good CB and some tunes with a nice set of gaugesto monitor it all.

if icould have the power and reliability of my dodge the comfort of my bed/lazy boy i could care whatit looks like. hell part ittogether and name it frankenstien.
    grant

7. mr_beer

mr_beer 1/2 ton status

I have a single wheel 4x4 dodge and I have towed 25,000 pound loads with no problems. I have towed with duals and without. I don't see any difference with or without them. I really don't like dually's because their so dam wide. How heavy of a load do you plan on towing? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. fordcummins1

fordcummins1 1/2 ton status

Ultimate tow vehicle? Good question, im building my dream right now. 1999 F350 CC DRW 4x4 6spd. Its gonna get a Cummins 12V, twin turbo kit from BD power along with plenty of fuel mods. SBC clutch, 19.5 rims and tires and a damn nice interior. Thats my dream tow rig (within reason) I cant wait for it to be done.

9. JK5

What's a cummins v12 going for??
    What sounds like a sweet rig...you're planning to build.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Cummins conversion. Nuff said. I bought my truck already done so I dont know what it cost to do, but it is NICE. It's the old '91 one wire mechanical cummins with enough mods to get about 550 lbs/ft to the ground. Perfect truck for anything I ever plan on hauling.

And Jason, you are sick dude. Just plain sick. /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

11. fordcummins1

fordcummins1 1/2 ton status

I picked u the 12V for 2200 bucks. I just ordered my Ricksons last night, and the Michelins should be on their way in a few days. Yea, it should pull damn nice when its done, now I just need that gooseneck trailer..... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

12. JK5

[ QUOTE ]
    I picked u the 12V for 2200 bucks. I just ordered my Ricksons last night, and the Michelins should be on their way in a few days. Yea, it should pull damn nice when its done, now I just need that gooseneck trailer..... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy Crap!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Man...I wanna see some pics..