Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Building a trailer out of a truck bed

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by chvyhs, Oct 20, 2003.

1. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Does anyone have any pics of the way they did their tongue? Any advice on the build? I already have a pintle set up, 36's, an 8 lug trailer axle with drum parking brakes, and 4" lift blocks. The bed is an 8 foot chevy bed. This should help me keep the back of the Suburban a little cleaner.

Does anyone from California know what I need to do to register it? How much will it cost?

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[​IMG]

When this one was built, the frame was cut off about 3.5-4 feet in front of the bed. Then notched the frame on the top and bottom flanges at the rear cab mount crossmember and bent the frame rails together. Be sure to weld a small plate over the notches to reinforce that area.

I sold the trailer to a guy in Seattle on this board. Maybe he will see this and be able to help out with better pics (I didnt get any when I owned it).

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    When this one was built, the frame was cut off about 3.5-4 feet in front of the bed. Then notched the frame on the top and bottom flanges at the rear cab mount crossmember and bent the frame rails together.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine is done the same way. They make excellent trailers. The balance of mine is exceptional. So long as its loaded evenly, I can easily lift the tongue and drag it around by myself.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I agree. Me and my friends made one. Cut said truck in half a few feet forward of bed/cab union, notch, heat, bend rails together, reinfoce, add coupler, setup your wiring, and enjoy.

5. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I left about 6" of frame sticking out in front of the bed. I welded some 5"x1.5" box to make the tongue. I wasn't sure if the 6" of frame to tongue joint is going to be strong enough. The truck was a 3.4 ton so I was planning on being able to load it down. I going to reinforce the the bends and the end of the tongue at the very least. What do you guys thing about extending the frame to tongue union about another foot on each side?

6. kennyw

I would add 2 angled braces from the frame where you cut it off to 6-12" behind the coupler. This will triangulate the tounge and make it very strong. If you still have the frame I would take the sections you cut off and use them for the brace and just weld them back in.

7. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

8. kennyw

That should be a strong connection. You might want a crossmember where the box tubing and frame meet up to finish it off. Then possibly a flat plate gusset between the frame, crossmember and tongue on both sides.

I have seen a few people build them with a crossmember straight across the front of the bed and a single piece of square tubing welded in as a tongue (t'd into the crossmember). That setup is usualy problematic.

9. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I plan on welding a piece of diamond plate over the top of entire tongue and a thick piece of plate on the bottom of the first 12" of the tongue. I haven't decided were I'm going to put the crossmember.

10. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I just about have this trailer completed.
    [​IMG]
    Here's the rest of the pics:
    Trailer pics

I even made a new icon for it. Check out the bottom of my sig.