Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Building advise needed

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by hi pinion, May 15, 2005.

1. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Ok, ive been thinking about buying some land ,,,, 2-5 acres here in Sacramento in the future,,, and my dad has a well buisness (for water) ,,,and i know how to do the septic sytem for the waste etc,,,, my uncle is an electrician,,,too lol,,,and just throwing a decent double wide on it for a while ,,while we build our home on it slowly, but surely.

What my question is,, is , whats all involved in this??? Say theres a lot we like , just land,, no home on it,,,, what does it take to pull a mobile onto it???
    As far as permits go etc etc.

Also ,,would it be better to buy a home with a house on it already? Or would it be worth it to do this? Too much hassle? Or a nice modular would be cool. :)

I understand this might take a good 3-4 years before our house is done,, but i think it might be a good idea to just put a mobile on some land and build the home while we live in the mobile. Ha ha ha, im wanting to buy land among 5 millon dollar homes lol, we would be the "trailer trash " for a while,, but who cares? Tips??? Where to start?? :)

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

The biggest obstacle you face is getting financing for raw land. Most financial institutions will only lend on 50% of the land's value if it is unserviced and without structures.....

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Is the land "zones" for residental ?? How for are the nearest "Services" ?? If I had the $$$, I would build just because it will be just the way you want everything.

4. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Most places, let alone the ones with 5 mill homes in the area will NOT
    let you put a mobile home on the property for any reason.
    Also keep in mind that places like that also have minimum size requirements
    on what you build to fit the area. If you plan to buy in an area like that,
    you'd better check out the covinances 1st. Also make sure it's a place you
    want to live in case it doesn't sell. I'd say you should just build where you
    want to live, build it and sell it after two years so you can
    make money on capital gains taxes on the sale. $500,000 tax break is a
    good deal. If your like me, you'll never retire good as a plumber but real
    estate can make you some good $$$$$$

5. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

So are you guys thinking it would be better to just buy the whole kit and kabootle??? What if i can fins something with all the utilites there already??? THEN would it be good? I just always wated a house on a few acres . :)

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

heres what they are doing here...

In my area,its now usually cheaper to buy an existing old property that has a house in disrepair or condemmed,many are in forclosure sales or tax lein sales,or are abandoned property(like when an eldery person dies with no hiers,and the state gets it)...

Everyone here is in an uproar because developers will buy such a place and flatten the existing house,all the nostalgic people cry every time another relic bites the dust...--in many cases the house has historical significance,or is merely a nice example of yesteryears building styles...but its cheaper to bulldoze an old house and build a new one now than to restore an older one--by the time you bring the old house "up to code" and all,it does not take long before you spent more than its worth...

Our next door neighbors just tore their old house down,and had a modular home built--(took 6 hours to erect the whole house last wednesday with a big truck crane!)...they have nearly 2 acres of land,but the old house and garage(they tore the garage down last year before it fell down by itself) were built by the girls father,and I think it was made of shipping crates and pallets,and by the looks of it he was a poor carpenter!..

.It was valued at 60,000 bucks,and even a crack house with 1 acre is 250,000 here now!--but their LAND is worth 250,000+ alone for 2 acres now,so they had NO trouble getting a loan for the house--now the property with the new house will likely be in the 300-350,000 range!...hope they took out enough money to pay the huge tax bill thats coming!..

Thats what many here are doing--buying old run down estates at auction,tax sales and forclosures,tear the existing house and outbuildings down unless they are easily salvaged(rare to non existant)--and throw up a cheap new house and sell it at 200% profit!...its easier to get permits when a house already existed there and the lot was "grandfathered" --new unbuilt land seems to have a lot more restrictions to comply with...

Wish I had my own place--I'd settle for a tarpaper shack in tennesee!--ain't NO WAY I'll ever be able to afford one here in MA,unless I hit the lottery or something...sucks living with mommy at age 46--nothing makes you feel like more of a loser than admitting that!...but I'm broke,so I have no choice... :frown1:

7. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Heres my situation,,,,,,,, grandpa dies, i scored 5 acres in BFE...Ca. Its AAALL farm land. No city around, really just farm land. I dont really want to let it go,,,( SHHHH,,was rhinking of building a mud track on it for racing 4x4s :D )

or something, but we are renting right now and it just sucks, i feel like someones BI*** after owning my home and then selling it. :crazy: I dont like it all all. I have a family of 2 ,me Ms, and 2 kids) and i just dont know what to do as far as buying something. I dont want the regular run of the mill .25 acre residential home anymore, i got a craving for my own land. :waytogo:

One of those modulars would be nice, just not in some mobile park,been there done that , i was thinking it would be good for my family to have some land even if we have to sacrafice the home a little. Has anyone here done this?? lived in a mobile and built there house while doing so? I figure id have to find some land where nobody cared what things look like IE=building,4x4s, mobile lol :grin: for a while. Just to have a home nowdays that you own for your family is a blessing.***

My plumbing company has taken off like a rocket into orbit though, so iys just a matter of time. :grin: I sold my home to do it all,though. :crazy:

8. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

First check your zoning, might have to change from agri to residential. Look for any restrictions on building size and type. Percolation test for septic system.How far is it from home site to elec tap, that can eat you up paying for new elec service. Access to property-does it have its own road/drive, or is there an easement to get to it. Also, is it in a floodplain? If so, probably can't get permit to build there, much less insurance once it is built. 5 acres in the country sounds great, hope you can make it work. If nothing else, put a RV trailer on it with septic hookup and elec, and use it for a weekend getaway.