Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Building Brush Gaurd. Need Advice

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Muddin_Mavric, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Muddin_Mavric

Muddin_Mavric Registered Member

I have a welding class right now and i will be done with every thing and have time left over so i would like to build a brush gaurd out of stainless steel so it would look pretty too.

The main resone i want it is so if i hit a deer all i have to do is go to the car wash and spray off the guts and my blazer will be undammaged. that goes for turkys and small farm animals too. this blazer has a really nice rust free body so i would like to try and pretect it. My insurance company said it would be $500 a year for insureance that would cover hitting deer and i only paid $1650 for the blazer so to me thats not worth it.

what i was thinking of doin was have it mount right where this little thing is right now:

[​IMG]

it mounts right to the end of the fram rails but im not sure if i hit a deer way off to the side (by the head light) if it would be able to cock it side ways and push it back into the body.

anyone have any pictures of one or sugestions of what size stainless to make it out of?

i was thinking about the size of the 2 round bars on their or a little bigger for the parimiter but how thick should the walls be and how thick should the 2 vertical suports be and how many and what size and patern should i mount the rest to protect the grill? and i would like to keep the lights about where they are.

my dad knows a guy who has a hydrolic pipe bender so getting it bent will not be a problem but what radius should it be?

any pictures you can post would be much apriated because im kinda confused on exactly what it would look like.

thanks for any help you can give me

Justin /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif Behr
    behrs@tznet.com

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

click the link in my sig to see pics of my brush guard on my burb for some ideas.

[​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

i took the easy route, and bought a surplus grille gaurd off from a cucv for 25 bucks, and bead blasted it and had it chromed for 50 bucks looks awesome. there tough too, i rearended a minivan on the tpk when teh lady gave me a break job(long story, and her fault /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif) and it protected my entire truck. i had a broken side marker from where the bumper folded up and my hood paint was scratched all to hell from the fire dept sweeping the glass from her va /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifn off of it.

4. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

this may not be what you had in mind with stainless.. but take a peek.. Sub-Pic
    I can take measurements if you'd like. It's from a company in texas Ranch Hand
    What part of Wisconsin are you in? I'm near Tomah

5. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

Seriously the only to protect from a deer is one of those front bumber replacements like the ones from Ranchhand. Just a little piece up front isnt gonna cut it.

6. Muddin_Mavric

Muddin_Mavric Registered Member

thanks for the replies; and the pics you 2. those look like they would do the job but i was kinda looking for sothing a little prettyer.

like this on the rancher site. except i really dont like the way that mesh stuff looks on their.

[​IMG]

but im still not sure if where that black (on my blazer) one is mounted is where my brush gaurd should be mounted to or what size stock to make it out of.

I really dont want to make a hole new bumper but dont you guys even think that will hold up to a deer hit? i know it would look better if i did a good job but i think that would be to big of a pain and im a little short on money so i cant aford to buy one.

I know my dad built one out of reg steel and this is what hapened when he hit a deer /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

now for the real shocking part he still did $5,000 worth of damage! a truck coming tward him hit the deer first and flung it at him and the brush gaurd came back and cracked his grill and some how went underneith and screwed up his intercooler (i thought it broke somthing else under the hood to) and one of his rear iner fenders was damaged and he blamed that on the deer too /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif that wasnt mounted on their that well either you can see the little tubes that slide in after that me added some braces to suport it better.

thats what i want to hapen but i want my brush gaurd to look pretty /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I live in centeral WI around wisconsin rapids.

Justin /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif Behr
    Behrs@tznet.com

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

well your dad gets the chunk of the month award hands down /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

This might stop a deer. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[​IMG]