Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

building it, that is the garage

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by arq, Mar 11, 2002.

1. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

how would you describe your ideal garage??? i have ~2acers of space to build something, the mud pit is there so that is taken care of. i was thinking of getting a pressure washer to clean the mud of the blazer. i hate it when mud dries up and gotta practicaly sand it off.

ARQ.

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Ahh, just get a hydrent and a fire hose../forums/images/icons/cool.gif, and if your gonna have that much room don't forget the retrackable roof for those helecopter deliveries...

3. Rockjunkies

Rockjunkies 1/2 ton status

A 24 hr conveniant store in there would be cool. One with a deli!!!

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

And a slurpee machine that spits out frozen drinks like margarita's and daiquiri's...

5. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

twice as big as my house - however big that was at the time!

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I would build in a compressed air system w/ quick disconects in the walls like electrical outlets. Of course the compressor would be out back in its own enclosure. Make sure you seal the floor so spills wipe up. While you are at it how about a lift! You might be able to get one from a local shop that is going out of buisness.

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

......and don't forget webcams, so that you can "wave" to us while you are working! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

8. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Don't forget the wet bar, the jacuzzi, and the stage with pole for the topless dancers. 500 watt stereo, cable, phone, aww screw it! Who needs a house!

9. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status

We just built one in the last year so these are some things I'd recommend.
    1. Plenty of Light... I mean Overkill.
    2. 12ft. garage door and one more, 2 total to drive through.
    3. 80x50ft.
    4. Lift
    5. Pressure washer
    6. welder, plasma cutter, tube bender, parts cleaner
    7. welding/reloading bench
    8. 5hp compressor with copper tubing going all over the building

There's more but I can't think of it now.

10. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

My ideal garage would have to be at least 6 bays. One with a hydraulic lift big enough to lift the blazer over my head. another big enough to park the blazer in and do work on it inside. the other four bays can be standard car size. i want to have compressed air hoses hanging for easy access. parts cleaner. tool box (one of those big craftsman boxes on wheels) lots of lighting, heat/ac (the dang temp around here fluctuates between 0 degrees to 100 degrees) and upstairs becuase it would have to be two storys pool table bar with beer on tap, golden tee golf game, big screen, couch, bathroom upstairs and down, and a whole bunch of extras that i want. need to buy the land first.

11. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

and upstairs becuase it would have to be two storys pool table bar with beer on tap, golden tee golf game, big screen, couch, bathroom upstairs and down, and a whole bunch of extras that i want

<hr></blockquote>

now that's an idea, but i only want a garage to work/play in it, not live in it. but the idea of having a hang out place(pool table, TV, etc) sounds tempting. it wont be a while though. gotta pay off some things.

ARQ.

12. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

when I was looking into moving out, I found a place I wanted to move into... it was a dual zoned 5000 square foot warehouse, with a second story studio apartment area, complete with bathroom, shower, kitchen, etc. the only real problems with it were:

-Rent was something like 950/month... about 500 more then I could afford at the time
    -once I moved in I'd never be able to move out into anything smaller ever again
    -it was in a dangerous south phoenix ghetto area ( ironicaly, about a mile from where my company is moving)

I coudl probably have moved into something else eventually, and as my friend john pointed out `you shoulda snagged it... charged 100 bucks a month for internal, air conditioned vehicle storage per vehicle, 150 for motorhomes, and put them over to one side of the warehouse area. if you'd gotten 10 of them, you could get an alarm system too, with a large insurance policy against breakins, and still be coming out on top'

oh well, some other time perhaps.

my Dream garage would basicaly be like my friends step fathers was... giant 50x80 or 60x80 foot thing, with a single 12 foot tall x40 foot long roll up door, and regular human access door, swamp coolers, heaters, pipes for air, with drop down hose reels from the cieling, sealed floor, etc. the only thing it was missing was a sink, and it had the basic plumbing coming out of the floor for that, just never been added/finished. in one corner, would be the racks of BBC's ( hey, he had them, I want them too) and SBC's, the welding tools, the massive toolbox, drillpress, power outlets, engine hoist, ( debatig wether to get a frame H-beam runner hoist, on tracks, or sompin) and etc. oh, and there'll have to be an old fridge in there....

-Rich

13. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Here's how I'd go at it....
    1. 80x60
    2. Two 12-foot doors
    3. A HUGE Reznor heaters for the winter
    4. A 9,000-10,000# lift
    5. A big (like 150 gal., 175psi, in-line dryer and more) compressor!!
    6. Copper tubing all over for the air w/ quick connects like every 15 feet along the walls.
    7. Air hoses w/ quick connects down both legs of the lift.
    8. 2 great big Snap-On tool boxes filled w/ Snap-On, Matco, and Craftsman tools.
    9. A sealed concrete floor that drains properly
    10. A big parts cleaner that Safty-Kleen keeps up for me
    11. Like four floor jacks...Tons of jack stands...tranny jack and engine hoist
    12. A tube bender, MIG welder, TIG welder, Plasma Cutter...
    13. And a 3-axis milling machine
    14. Big computer controlled lathe

That about it...I'll take pictures when I win the Lottery and build it /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Chris

14. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

your heaters need to be changed to heated floors... anybody building a new shop that doesn't put in heated floors is nuts.

15. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

i'll pass on the heater it's nice and warm here durring the winters as for summers it averages 115. some swamp coolers should take care of that. or go all out and ac the dam thing. i got the tools just need a roof and walls. i think 20x40 should be enough. defintly include a hang out room(TV, pool table, etc etc a bed maybe/forums/images/icons/smile.gif).

ARQ.

16. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

Do heated floors actully cut down on heating costs? or is it just because when you are laying on the creeper the touch the cold floor to find the one place on your side that your shirt has crept up about a inch making you bellow like a coon hound that is nice about them.... did that make sense?
    Also how are they heated up? Is it by hot water heat?
    sorry for all the Questions

17. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

well, we are putting the finishing touches on our garage we built at TorkDSR's place. 40x30 (i know, shoulda gone bigger) 2doors, 12'hx13'w, and 8'h x 10'w, plus one walk in. 12 high to the eaves, 17' at the peak. 6 skylights, a sh*tload of electrical and lighting on the way, it will have a hydraulic lift inside the small door, will be insulated soon, umm, Big compressor, ox/acy torch, 2 welders, gas powered and a jazz box, etc.. fridge and sofa on the way. This summer im looking at getting the tube bender and mig welder.

18. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

heated floors use hot water that circulates in the floor and radiates up. Its called radient floor heating and it heats my whole house as long as it doesnt get below 30°

19. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

How about a oil pit and drains built into the floors