Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Building Lego Cars with the Boy... Fun Stuff

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 350350, Sep 5, 2004.

1. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

My Son turned 4 years old on the 2nd, and for his Birthday I got him some Lego Cars that have the pullback motors in them... He's at the age where he likes me to bring home the cars that we can build together... Not full blown models yet, nothing that complex as he doesn't have that much of an attention span yet, but Muscle Machines, Dub City, and Legos all have kits that can be put together in 10-30 minutes and he enjoys helping build them.

The Lego kits he especially enjoys because he can do most of it himself, and all I do is tell him where to put the blocks. In fact, he's gotten very good at reading the directions, because it's all visual and recognition. I basically just point out which new pieces are on each page, and sometimes have to help hold things in place while he puts pieces on, but for the most part he's come a long way from his first car to the ones we built today.

But the real fun is in it for me, because I get to build them with my Son, and it's something I've found that we can do that doesn't require me getting knee dropped in the kidneys, jumped or climbed on like a jungle gym, or in any way pushed toward a heart attack. It's also another way that we share our interest in cars and trucks, and just good plain fun to build some of the cool stuff that Lego has out there these days.

On the down side, I remember having one big box of Legos when I was a kid that came with a book of things you could build from that one set, and then the rest was up to you... Your imagination was much more challenged. These days, one set builds one thing, and that's it. There are no spare parts, and the pieces are very specifically shaped to fit what you're building... Not much room to swap them around to make something else. But I guess once we get a bunch of sets together we'll be able to build whatever we want, plus I have all of my Legos from when I was a kid, and I'll dig them out when he starts showing interest in building his own stuff. He's pretty young at the age of 4 to be building kits for kids of age 8 and up.

Anyway, here's the Boy with his proud collection of race cars and off-road buggies. The 6th in the series is still on the kitchen table waiting to be built, and we're watching the 'Bionicle' movie right now so that if he's interested we'll start building the Bionicle Action figures that Lego has. They look pretty cool, and even *I*, a GearHead to the bone, realize that the Boy needs to play with something besides cars once in a while... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Also note 'Sissy' in the corner who went from crawling to walking, abandoned crawling, danced for a day or so, and now is running around the house, all in less than a week!!! She turns 1 year old on the 9th!!!

Paul 'X' /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

[​IMG]

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That's so cool. I always say I don't want kids, but I know one day I'll probably change my toon just so I can have a son like so many of you guys on here do. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

that rocks man LOGO's are awsome, i contrubiute alot of my mechanical ability to playing with LEGO's as a kid, but now they are really expinsive!!!! but still i cant wait to have kids so i can play with them again!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

your such a good dad.i see you have leather furniture also,easy to clean with kids and dogs.anyway you are the coolest for putting your kids first /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

That's awesome! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    and it's something I've found that we can do that doesn't require me getting knee dropped in the kidneys,

[/ QUOTE ]

Man - that one line just about droped me to the floor. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Lego's are kick a$$... /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

We have thousands of legos in my house. I'm 37 and when one of the kiddos wants some help with something, it's not too long before they are gone... and I'm still diggin' in the Legos building somthing.. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i'm almost 24 years old, and i refuse to get rid of my legos. a few months back my 30 year old cousin brought his nephew over (his sister's 3 year old son) and another 17 year old cousin came over. we got the legos out. i'm still not sure who had more fun, us or the little guy. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

8. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

That is so cool man.
    I still build Lego's with my kids too.
    We have one of those huge rubermaid tubs filled with all my legos from when I was a kid as well as all my brothers and the stuff I've bought since for my kids.
    It's amazing what you can build with them, I've had working tow trucks that I built with running engines to killer rock buggies that'll out flex anything I could build in real life.
    The best part is all the time I get to spend with my kids.

9. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Thats cool man. I am a father too.My son is only 2 and isnt at that stage yet,but getting there.Its funny, i remember when my blazer and building vehicles was one of the most important things and it had to be done. The more and more i spend time with my family and the older he gets, the less and less things that used to be important are important now.Its like the time i spend together with my family at the park, etc,someone couldnt pay me enough money to break away from that.The things that used to be important, are just completely pushed all the way to the back burner (the blazer). /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Its like i dont care if the thing rots to peices in the driveway , as long as our family is together and having a good day. Nothing else matters.Human lives are more important that metal and wheels. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    That's so cool. I always say I don't want kids, but I know one day I'll probably change my toon just so I can have a son like so many of you guys on here do. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I live for my kids... for a lot of reasons. I know most parents do, but in my case my kids really keep me getting out of bed in the mornings. In this case, Sissy isn't quite old enough to join in, but we DO include her in most of our play... Her Big Brother is amazingly good with his Baby Sister. She's going to turn one year old in 3 days, so she's growing up fast too!!! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

I never dreamed I'd want kids either, and for a long time I very much doubted my ability to be a Good Father. But once I decided I wanted kids, it just felt right and most of it is just common sense. You just figure the rest out as you go.

If you had great parents, do what they did. If you had horrible parents, do the opposite of what they did. I know that's oversimplifying, but it's something like that... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

11. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    that rocks man LOGO's are awsome, i contrubiute alot of my mechanical ability to playing with LEGO's as a kid, but now they are really expinsive!!!! but still i cant wait to have kids so i can play with them again!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! Ditto!!!

I also think I learned a lot about building real world stuff by doing it with Legos when I was a kid. I built everything, and I mean everything!!! Houses, lawn mowers, tractors, plows, cars & trucks of course, dogs, other animals, man I can remember just about anything now that my Son and I have dug out my old Legos. I have all sorts of complicated stuff with gears and such. Lots of fun to be had...

But, you're right about them being expensive!!! Each of the 5 cars and buggies you see in the picture above is $10!!! I bought him one for his Birthday and he got the others from other people for his Birthday. Only one more to complete the set, and it'll be a $60 set of 6!!! However, these DO come with extra instructions of how to mix and match the cars to build other vehicles with extra wheels and such. So these will keep us busy for a while. At least 14 vehicles for $60... Not bad I guess, but man, $60 is a load of cash for toys. But as you said, knowing it's for learning toys I don't mind as much. ebay will help too...

12. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Man! Like I said above, I was always worried about being a Good Father... Now that I'm a Big Kid I think I'm doing pretty good. I can discipline the kids when I have to, but for the most part the kids listen to me without having to resort to much more than raising my voice occasionally. I'm pretty lucky that way. Lots of people brag brag about their parenting, but I'll tell you straight up that I have no idea how I got two such awesome kids, and good looking too, when I was a complete hellion and damned scary looking myself. Their Mama is cute, but she was a hellion as well... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

13. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Lego's are kick a$$... /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

We have thousands of legos in my house. I'm 37 and when one of the kiddos wants some help with something, it's not too long before they are gone... and I'm still diggin' in the Legos building somthing.. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear Ya, Man!!!

"Dad, can we PLEASE play with something else now???" /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    That's awesome! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    and it's something I've found that we can do that doesn't require me getting knee dropped in the kidneys,

[/ QUOTE ]

Man - that one line just about droped me to the floor. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I were kidding!!! I got the Boy used to 'Wrestling Up' with me when he was littler, which I do now with the Baby Girl, but now he's about 40 pounds, and he can really do a flying knee drop and place it right where he wants it... If I'm not careful I'll be peeing blood for a week!!! Now I've put a ban on all wrestlemania maneuvers when we're playing... But he can really get a good swing or two in if I'm not paying good attention!!!

15. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    That is so cool man.
    I still build Lego's with my kids too.
    We have one of those huge rubermaid tubs filled with all my legos from when I was a kid as well as all my brothers and the stuff I've bought since for my kids.
    It's amazing what you can build with them, I've had working tow trucks that I built with running engines to killer rock buggies that'll out flex anything I could build in real life.
    The best part is all the time I get to spend with my kids.

[/ QUOTE ]

The coolest Lego I had was a tractor with a working PTO that had a three point hitch that you could build implements for. I had a working mower that the blades spun, and other implements that used the PTO. It was cool!!! I still have all the pieces in my Lego collection somewhere, but I've long since lost the instructions! We looked on ebay and on the Lego website, but the only place we had any luck was ebay and they rarely list exactly which instructions they have, just that they're selling a pile of Lego instruction books. Much cheaper than in stores though!!!

16. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Thats cool man. I am a father too.My son is only 2 and isnt at that stage yet,but getting there.Its funny, i remember when my blazer and building vehicles was one of the most important things and it had to be done. The more and more i spend time with my family and the older he gets, the less and less things that used to be important are important now.Its like the time i spend together with my family at the park, etc,someone couldnt pay me enough money to break away from that.The things that used to be important, are just completely pushed all the way to the back burner (the blazer). /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Its like i dont care if the thing rots to peices in the driveway , as long as our family is together and having a good day. Nothing else matters.Human lives are more important that metal and wheels. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Understood, Man! I used to live for cars and trucks, and nothing else mattered. I'd work in the shop for days on end, and sleep on the creeper under the vehicle only long enough to get going again, and I'd obsess over a project until it was done, working on it every spare minute until it was done...

NOW, on the other hand, I DO get frustrated when I can't get a car project done in like 2 months, but still I never feel like I'm wasting time when I'm with my kids. My Camaro sat for over 3 months while I did some work on it that would have taken a single weekend back before I had kids... I'll be putting a McLeod Street Twin Clutch in it soon, and while it's out I'm going to have the synchros checked out because it pops out of reverse if you don't hold it in, and I'm putting in a B&M Ripper shifter while I have to have the shifter off anyway. Should be a Saturda afternoon job, but I figure taking the trans to a shop will eat up a week anyway, so probably 3 weeks total downtime... Oh, well, all the more time we'll have to build with Legos!!!

17. txfiremank5

[ QUOTE ]

The coolest Lego I had was a tractor with a working PTO that had a three point hitch that you could build implements for. I had a working mower that the blades spun, and other implements that used the PTO. It was cool!!! I still have all the pieces in my Lego collection somewhere, but I've long since lost the instructions! We looked on ebay and on the Lego website, but the only place we had any luck was ebay and they rarely list exactly which instructions they have, just that they're selling a pile of Lego instruction books. Much cheaper than in stores though!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't get to my other puter right now, but on my old favorites list, I have some websites for LEGO's. One of them has EVERY SINGLE set of instructions for every set, and they are downloadable. I will try to track down the site. It will be a little work, since my old puter is not connected to the net, but I think all the titles under favorites are the actual addys, so I may get lucky. I'll post if I find it.

18. txfiremank5

I did some loking around and found a little. I will try to include some sites that have all the sets, so that you can dig around to get the set number for sets you want.. if you already know the number then you can just look for the instructions directly.

direction index
    I'm not 100% sure if this place has all the directions, but I'm sure it has most.

Here is a great place to look for that old favorite set from when you were a kid.
    sets

If you are looking for something like a "black fire helemt" or some one of a kind items, sites like this can really help so that you dont have to buy whole ets to get what you need.

lego shops

Anyway, hope these help some....

19. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

legos rock!!! check out my webshots i have an album of my lego trucks!