Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Building Materials

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ruthven13, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

Who else here is a carpenter? What is up with the price of building materials lately!?!?! Not too long ago a standard Doug fir 2x4x8' was just over $1.25... Now they are $0.51 per foot at the local lumberyard. Four dollars for a 2x4!!!! It cost my boss, with his discount, about $20 for 4 2x4x10' fir... Damn... It can't be because of Florida getting destroyed by hurricanes, since it started before that.Not only is real estate getting too expensive around here, but now it is just as expensive to build onto what ya got! How the hell am I ever going to buy a house!?!? /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

2. ncbloodhound

ncbloodhound 1/2 ton status

Building is booming around here. My dad is in the building supply business and the last couple of months have been record months.

Good for dad, bad for builders... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

cost of shipping.fuel goes up, so does material.again and again and again.we've had 5 increases this year on cost. we ate two of them but!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

You are just now noticing that on your end of the country... 2X4s cost over 3 bucks here now... REDICULOUS! /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

5. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I'll give ya'll a little clue, on jan 4th 2004 the lhours of operation changed for truck drivers, now we have to take more time off and spend actually less time driving because more of our onduty hours count towards a full days work, hence less time driving , hence less commodities being delivered, hence less commodities , hence prices go up to compensate for demand plus drivers are making less due to not being able to drive as much , hence they are charging more to make up the difference. truckers fault? not at all, just trying to make a living. federal goverments fault absolutly!, for passing such a anti-capitolist bill. Now sure they did it in the name of public saftey. but, there have been more accidents involving trucks since the new rules went into effect then the same time last year and the year before.
    GOT A PROBLEM WITH HOW MUCH YOU PAY FOR STUFF??? CALL YOUR CONGRESSMAN , IT'S HIS FAULT! rotten worthless f@#ks!. sorry for the hijack, it needed to be said /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yikes, I thought that seemed high when I bought a bunch last week. I could swear they were around $1.5 a year ago, now they're $3.

7. ncbloodhound

[ QUOTE ]
    ...hence...hence...hence...hence...hence...federal goverments fault absolutly!/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed it for ya! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

John Kerry is a poser, and I am sure he voted for this, if he bothered to show up.

8. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    John Kerry is a poser, and I am sure he voted for this, if he bothered to show up.

[/ QUOTE ]

But who was president at the time? /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

9. ncbloodhound

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But who was president at the time? /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The president can't pass laws by himself...I blame them all!

Besides, that doesn't mean John Kerry isn't a poser. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I passed a HUGE load of 2x4's this morning on a frieght train headed to the end of LI. It musta been about 4 cars, loaded 10 feet high by 6 feet wide by 40 or 50 feet long. Seemed like a lot of wood to me, maybe a couple "Home Depot" stock loads.
    I'm sure the trucking industry has had a major impact, maybe even turned shippers back to rail shipping.

11. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

They still use Doug Fir in Jersey? I thought east coast was all SPF & Pine

Were at 3.19 or so on an 8 footer. But were got a few /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Y'all are fogetting one major thing. We are rebuilding a nation. No not ours but Iraqs. Tons of wood being shipped over there right now. This plays a major part in the price increase.

Similar scenario on steel right now. Some countries are buying up a good portion of our scrap which leaves less raw material.

13. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Y'all are fogetting one major thing. We are rebuilding a nation. No not ours but Iraqs. Tons of wood being shipped over there right now. This plays a major part in the price increase.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually thats not true. Iraq consumed .06% of us production from 2003.

What its caused by is a booming economy with an increase of 9% in Starts from 2003 (which was a record month also) to 2004, while US&Canadian production for Boards and Panels only increased 1.9%.

Its simple supply and demand. The more people there are the more houses are needed. This record boom has been going for the last several years and, based on the number of people moving to Northern Virginia its going to stay this way for atleast 5-10 years regardless of the price of materials.

Oh yea, Remodeling is also at its 3rd consecutive record year of increases.

14. cybrfire

That is interesting. I read somewhere that they were consuming alot more than that for the rebuilding effort in Iraq. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

15. i8yrsuv

i8yrsuv 1/2 ton status

Its notfunny to see 7/16 osb 4x8 go from 6.30 a sheet to 14.00 a sheet at home depot !!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

16. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I just built a 10 x 8 out building and I spent less than 200 bucks so far but it's taken me 2 years of hording lumber to do it... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifGawd I'm a cheap bastige...

17. cybrfire

[ QUOTE ]
    Its notfunny to see 7/16 osb 4x8 go from 6.30 a sheet to 14.00 a sheet at home depot !!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I would have built a new shop this past summer had things not been so ridiculous. I'm just praying they will be back to normal or at least closer to normal next spring.

18. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I agree. I would have built a new shop this past summer had things not been so ridiculous. I'm just praying they will be back to normal or at least closer to normal next spring.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, thats what i was thinkin in '02 when the gas prices got over $1.70 for regular....heck, today if i find it for $2.03 i consider fillin up my gas cans too! (in contrast in June filled up the Blazer @ $2.30/gallon /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif ...and it was emptyyyy...wow, that stung!