Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Building Modles

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Z3PR, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I won a aution on ebay for a modle of a first gen K5 a while back. I've been building it slowly to make it last. Every couple of days or so I'll paint some parts, or put part of it together. Anyone else do that also ??? [​IMG]

2. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I prefer to collect the ones that are already put together... I have an orange Xplorer Sport Trac, an S-10, a Yukon Denali, a 65 Chevy C-10, couple little race car things, an RC Avalanche... and I think that's it for now... I need to get some more :P
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Oh yeah, I can't forget my WRC Impreza /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm going to get a gas powered RC version of that one sometime when I'm bored and in Greeley...

3. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

yeah i still build models probably only about 1 a year though

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

At one time I was going to build several dioramas chronicling my time in the Army. I got away from it, funny thing is that hobby has the same drawbacks as 4x4, takes a lot of $$$$ and room to do.

5. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I used to be into modeling back in the day. Got into the stage of going for real detail and stuff. Then I got kinda crazy and plumbed compresed air to my room and started air brushing them and making them look like the had been in wreckes or look like an old rusted out jaloppy in the middel of a field. Takes a lot of detail to get one to look like it has a real dented fender or busted windshield or rotted seats.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Damn, I never got that detailed. Do you have any pics of those mega detailed modles ??? I'd love too see them.

7. tmaxxer9

tmaxxer9 1/2 ton status

i still put those little things together too. I am working on a Dodge charger that has a 426 in it./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

The one I'm building is in the driveway...and like you I'm doing alittle each night when I get home...mine takes alot of glue, how about your? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

No that was back when I was a teen. I pretty much would build one then tear it apart and do something diffrent with them ended up tossing them all out years ago. Although I will say you can make a killer water bed for a 70's era van with a seal-a-meal and alternators can be made to look like an A/C unit. Beauty supply shops are a good source for detail stuff, they carry a lot of fingernail stuff like real thin chrome looking striping that can be used for making trim look real. Also a Dremmel can be used to shape parts and bondo works on plastic also. The leftover plastic that all the parts are attached to can be used to make roll cages or tube frames, just use a little heat and bend them to the shape you want. Thread can be used for wires or brake lines. Brakes can be made from left over plastic. On some of the cars I would use springs from an ink pen to make it look like it had real springs. A little oil in the paint can make a rearend look like it's got a bad seal. I did a few that looked like they had been stripped, stuff like engines or trannys missing sitting up on rusty looking rims. Finders, doors or grills missing.
    Just think how much more of a challenge it is to build one with no engine in it and the A/C unit is tied up to one of the inner finderwells and the negative battery cable disconnected and a puddel of oil and antifreeze under it like you would do in real life.