Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Building my blazer. with ORD parts...

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by randknu, Jan 7, 2006.

1. randknu

randknu Registered Member

I have got my hands on a 79 K5 blazer with a stock 400cid engine, The truck is mostly stock but has had a part time kit and free wheeling hubs installed sometime in the past.

I also have a set of axles out of an 87' military K30, the Dana60 has manual hubs and open diff, the 14Bolt FF rear has a detroit locker and they both have 4.56 gears.

I want to build it with a low centre of gravity so i want a 4" lift and a crossover steering for my D60 I'll save the Histeer for a later time.

Can i combine a shacle flip kit with the 4" front lift springs? how would it be height-wize?

I plan on running 35" or 36" tires to start with. (easier to get approved for road use here in norway).

Now to the real problem; the vehicle control people dislike anything out of the ordinary and generally means that all cars and trucks should remain stock. There are ways though, I need documentation for every kit I plan on installing. Theese documents must include:
    1. Producer (manufacturer)
    2. What vehicle it was made for.
    3. your assurance that the kit was made for my exact vehicle model, (my VIN-number must be included)
    4. If possible any safety tests done by other agencys og companys than yourself (ex. German Tüv)

On top of this they need the original paper, no copys or faxes!!!:mad:

and if you could possibly make a statement on them, that putting a D60 and a 14Bolt FF under a K5 Is possible and safe. (bigger brakes for bigger tires and so on)

The problem with theese people are that they have no clue about cars and technical issues but they want you to believe they know everything.:crazy:

Could you produce documents like theese to go with the kits?

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Man that is a tall order. I believe the paperwork they send states the opposite. That their stuff is for off road use only.

3. randknu

Yes well there are blazers here with 39.5" boggers and lots of lift, that are fully road legal, but thay had to fight burocracies for 2-3 years and they spent a lot of $$$ on doing so. This should be considered a "mild" buildup.

It says in the law that replacement springs, and other carrying components must be able to withstand normal everyday stresses of roaduse. :D
    I think ORD's components should handle that just fine... problem is I need it on paper.

I understand you if you don't want to stick your head out and say it's OK and you guarantee that this lift kit will not make the truck more dangerous. Even I don't believe in that.

My point is that theese trucks are not exactly racing machines with "performance handling" in stock form, but they still work. and they will still do after 4" of lift, better breaks and gearing to compensate for taller tires.

4. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

Wow, and I thought I had it tough in California.

Well, you can overcome any obstacles in your way when you set your mind to it, and work your way through the "system". Good Luck.

Oh, we are all in agreement that women with Norwegian accents are way cool.

5. randknu

I'll need some recommendations, If i go with 16/35x15 Bogger tires, and suitable rims, can i get away with 15x10" rims or do I need 12"? but how much tire would stick outside the fenders? as I will probably need some kind of flares to cover the tire...

one more thing:
    My current gearing is somwhere around 1:3.5 and 31" tires, which tiresize would give the closest total gearing to stock with the 4.56 gears in the 1-ton axles?

6. randknu