Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Building my new exhaust

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandawgk5, Sep 3, 2006.

1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I am trying to get everything together to make my new exhaust. I am gonna run stock headers (cause I have them) with a 2.5" Y pipe to a 3" single cat and super 40. Question is what is the stock y pipe size and would I be able to just bolt 2.5" pipes to my manifolds? Also who has the best price on mandrel bends? I think it would be a little cheaper to buy the bends and weld my own set up then I can route it how I want away from the front shaft:D . Anyone who has done this and has pics or anything or any insight I would appreciate it. Oh I am going single 3" as I live in Comifornia and have to stay smog legal:D .

Ira

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

TTT for the weekday crowd:D

Ira

3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I did that on "Patch", my '84 yota 4x4. Some pics below. You can get the bends from Allied (down your way somewhere, recent post mentioning them around here somewhere), Specialty Product Design in Rancho Cordova, JCW, and if you have the budget, Burns Stainless in Costa Mesa (they sell steel too).

Hint #1: Take the time to squish the tube round if you cut in the middle of a bend. Makes welding the next piece on much easier.

Hint #2: Buy several to many hose clamps that fit the exhaust tube and cut a couple holes thru their bands. A dremel works good for this. Align the tubes and slide a clamp to straddle the joint. Reach thru the holes at tack the tubes together. You'll need more clamps if you're going to MIG weld things due to the tacks being big enough to occasionally catch the band.

BTW, If you look closely you can see where I flanged the system for easy removal when working on whatever. There's more to those flanges than meets the eye, but that's a whole other thread.

Sm01.jpg

Sm02.jpg

Sm03.jpg

Sm04.jpg

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Now that is what I am talkin bout:D . Keep em comin.

Ira

5. TeK

TeK 1/2 ton status

I'm buying 20ft of 3" stainless steel. Making the exhaust out of extra pcv pipe I have laying around and then using the stainless for the exhaust. Hooker Drag headers into 3" duals into a single 3.5" Supertrapp. Should sound bad ass when done.