Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

building my rig

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Jul 4, 2005.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Hey, I'm new here.
    I recently purchased a '78 K-20 burban. I am considering a 4" lift and maybe some tire between 34 and 37". I was wondering what is the widest tire that I could practically fit on my 16.5x6.75" stock wheels?

Also, I have a low budget, so I was wondering how I should direct my $$ first.
    What order would yall:
    -replace the rusty exhauxt
    -buy a off road design steering brace kit
    -change all of the juices (engine,tranny,203 t-case, 10 bolt, and 14 bolt)
    -buy a 4" rough country lift

I plan on doing all of these, but I will only have the $$ to do one at a time.
    Thanks for the help,
    James

2. LongIslander26

LongIslander26 1/2 ton status

What to do?

I'd say change all the juices first, then get on the exhaust. A good exhaust system will give you the most "Bang for your buck", in both power and gas mileage, after that, it's up to you. As for tire's, 10.50 is probably about as wide as you'll be able to go with those skinny rims, so, you may want to put that in your future budget plans.

3. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

I also would say change all the juices... Wal-Mart does it for $20!!

4. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Better to have something that runs. No point of building something that every fluid is rotten and then something craps out.

5. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

steering box braces should be way up on your list of "upgrades" burb's are bad about tearing up the frame because they are so heavy but separate maintenence items from upgrades and start with a truck that is reliable before going into trail upgrades, steel wheels are cheap dut waste your time with the factory ones, when you decide to get tires get new rims as well, w/ a truck that heavy you really wan't a tire wider than what you can run on those rims

6. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

My budget appropriation

The juices are first. then the steering brace kit (is this hard to install?)
    then installing my pair of flowtech headers that I already own. Can I just bolt these headers up or is there some type of sensor or device that helps the truck warm up (I have heard about something like this)
    Thanks,
    James

7. LongIslander26

LongIslander26 1/2 ton status

Bolt ons

The headers bolt right on. The "Warm up thing" is a heat riser that goes from the exhaust manifold to the air cleaner assembly. You won't be able to use it after you put the headers on, but you'll never know it's gone. It may just take longer to let the truck warm up a little longer and really cold days. The steering gear brace is pretty simple too. You just unbolt the box, and bolt it back with the brace inplace, 3 bolts, you're done.