Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

building soft top, have q's (hey-grim!!)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by yeild2me, May 20, 2001.

1. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

building soft top, have q\'s (hey-grim!!)

i have some proto-type bows made, and a nice heavy duty tarp (8'X10') and its going to fit excellent--enough overlap all around for minor triming. i need a few ideas to add to my own as far as the mounting;;;here are my goals-

1. no snaps on body...
    2. i dont mind drilling holes to mount a frame, and that is what i have planned using some small angle iron (actually aluminum), with the snaps on it...the reason i dont mind drilling here is because if i decide to put my hard top back on, it will be covered up and sorta sealed.
    3. i am more concerned with having the sides rolled up (safari style) versus the whole top off, but by no means want it mounted in a way that it wont come off hard as hell.
    4. the sides and back arent going to be a problem; i am going to install a p'up tail gate, and i can just mount the sides anywhere it looks good. its the part around the cab that may have problems with...any body have any ideas as to what i can use to make the curved part??? same rules aply here as the sides: i will probably have to mount it ith screws and not the hard top holes because of the lips (i.e. if i use those holes, there will be about 3/4 of an inch step down)

how about using some sort of rail to slide the top part on and across??? sorta like a tonneau cover.

one more question--where do i get snaps and the tool to install them??? i wouldnt think they would be that hard to find. any body have any other (better) ideas instead of snaps??

the only thing i am not sure about is the color--kinda orangish/yellowish...doesnt look bad, just kinda wierd/cool/odd/etc. grim its like yours...

i just had a thought...what if i coated the canvas with like herculiner, or some other "plastic" type stuff...it would have to plyable enough to roll up and not stiff as a board, but this way it would be black and waterproof....i could even coat both sides........remarks????
    AIRBORNE!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by yeild2me on 05/20/01 06:44 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. shane

shane 1/2 ton status

Re: building soft top, have q\'s (hey-grim!!)

On the corners or any high stress areas I would not use snaps. You can go to pretty much any upholstery shop and get some twist locks. They look like a rectangular pin that goes through an eyelet then you give it a quarter turn and it is locked. Those suckers never come off when you are driving or wheeling. Myself, I would probably do the whole thing with twist locks but you can get away with using them where needed.

Shane

Just keepin it Canadian[​IMG]

3. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

Don't know if it would be stong enough to hold up, but whay about Velcro? You can usually find the stuff in rolls at fabric shops etc. (you can also find snaps there) Just a thought.

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]

4. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

exactly how water proof is this tarp (canvas)? could i treat it with a water repellent spray? it looks like and smells like an army tent, and i know you cant touch it, but would spraying it with a repellent stop seeping altogether?? i was spraying it with my garden house and didnt see any water coming through..

thanks rob

AIRBORNE!!

5. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

check out my custom top on my webpage

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/>http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/</A>
    <font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    [​IMG]

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

See if you can pick up a ratty hard top to cut up like thumper did. you can put your snaps on it and it will bolt to the exsisting mounts. I got my snap tool from Northern. Most sewing/fabrick stores will have them also.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>