Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Building the motor....couple questions.....A.S.A.P.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by twenty_below0, Aug 10, 2002.

1. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

Got everything back from the machine shop and started the build yesterday, everything went together real good all clearances excellent, BUT when I went to put the hydraulic lifters in a oil bath and pump them up,.... about half of them didn't get firm still easy to push.(Speed Pro performance lifters) I pumped them for awhile and left them over night in the bath. The "old timer" that is helping me with the build said not to worry, he thinks they'll be fine?? Primed the motor and put the top end completely on and now I am still wondering if I should have got different lifters. Do you think these will line out or did I screw up? This motor has a gear drive so the noise can make lifter noise hard to hear, what would you do? Please hurry I am leaving to go to the shop in about 80 min. THX

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I may be off base here, but I thought pumping up hydraulic lifters was a sure fire way to get valve lash wrong, and on an initial start, I believe that can have some pretty serious repercussions. (flat cam lobes, etc)

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You have nothing to worry about. Some people like to pre-pump the lifter and others such as myself install them dry and do the valve adjust before installing the intake so as to be able to watch the lifter plunger to find zero lash then adjust accordingly. Either way is fine and you don't have to worry.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

5. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

THX guys I appreciate it, got it in and drove home tonight, so far so good. Haven't really got in it yet but I can tell it has BALLS!!! Will get a few hundred miles on it before I really uncork it. Will try to get some pics up, not sure how though?? anyway THX