Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Building The Rhino: 6.2L Diesel K5. **updated w/ pics 3/19/06

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Jan 7, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

THE RHINO
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So I thought that someone might be interested in following the build of my k5 - The Rhino. So I'll be updating this post time and again as stuff happens. In any case, you can follow a very indepth read of the build at www.web.pdx.edu/~colbys under the "journal" listing as well as a video/slideshow put to music. however, i'll try and keep my posts here on CK5 strictly technical.

__________________________________​

In May of last year, I picked up my 1983 bone stock 6.2L diesel k5 for $500. It had a good motor, tranny, tcase and front end. The ring/pinion had been busted, so the gears were removed from the housing. The body/interior was trashed - back window smashed, broken glass everywhere mixed with mud, slime, shot gun shells/cartriges, beer cans, all kinds of crap.

I drove it twice before it went under the knife - once to my in-laws' house where i left it for a couple days, and then i drove it about an hour south of where I live to the shop where I'm building it. (I'm a college student at Portland State U., and live in the apartments on campus and have no where to build my truck in Portland).

I bought it as an educational project - I want to understand and master automotive mechanics. So, inspite of it having a good motor, I tore it apart to rebuild it.

So here's the specs so far - you can read the story behind these specs on my website.

Engine.
    • Hot tank the block.
    • Bore cylinders to make .040 over (had to be done b/c whoever rebuilt the motor before me bored it and didn't get the proper sized piston b/c he bored it to a not so standard size and apparently didn't want to get custom pistons).
    • Install cam bearings/soft plugs
    • Balance the V8
    • Rebush the rods
    • Deck the block
    • Resize rods (slightly out of round)
    • Clean/Polish Crank (mostly b/c he started doing this before I gave permission,so i can't really go back on it now - kinda sux, but in the scheme of things a small problem.)
    • Valve Grind
    • Valve Guides
    • Resurface the Heads (as a side note for other's w/ 6.2s - these motors havestainless steal pucks in them which require a special type of surfacing tool.)
    • Standard (not moly) rings
    • New Oversized pistons
    • Banks Turbo hopefully within the next year.
    Drivetrain/Suspension

I picked up some 3/4 ton running gear w/ 4.10 gears to spin what will be 35" tires. Someday I'll replace the TH350/NP208 combo w/ tougher gear, but for now, it'll do. And of course I have plans for the rest of the drivetrain as well, but I won't delve into that at this point.

4" Procomp suspension lift.

Body/Interior

I have sanded most all of the paint off of my truck. It was originally the white/red/white combination. I'll be rattle canning it black, painting my k5 logo on the fuel door, painting the lower portions on either side of the hood white, and painting a phoenix on the hood. This will all be done using matte finish rattle can paint and stencils. I figure this way, when the paint gets beat up off road, it's an easy fix. I have the option to use high quality painting supplies/equipment, but i like the rattle can and how easy it would be to fix up scratches which would open the metal to rust.

On the interior, i've installed marine carpet over standard carpet padding, hoping that the padding will insulate some against noise.

Fuel
    I'll be producing my own biodiesel for it. I've seen threads here in the past asking questions about it, so with time i'll try and answer some by doing some write-ups sharing my experiences with it.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Sounds sweet. Looks nice. Keep us posted! The biodiesel is very interesting, never heard from anyone who actually does it.

3. colbystephens

Dual or Single Shocks?

tomorrow i'll be heading down to salem to do a bit of work on the Rhino. one of the things i plan to do is install extended shocks for my 4" lift. the stock set up on my rig has two sets of dual shocks on the front end. i've decided to run single shocks instead as a result of the info posted on the discussion at the following link: http://www.coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161270

4. mudman83

mudman83 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You might want to add DSG timing gears and a stud girdle kit to your engine as you build it. The gears will last forever and your timing will be constant. The stud girdles strengthens your block around the main bearings, where cracks usually result when you add more power with a turbo.
    Here are links to both kits.
    http://www.dieselservices.com/webstore/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=52&CFID=640134&CFTOKEN=56236216
    http://www.dieselservices.com/webstore/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=1&CFID=640134&CFTOKEN=56236216

A good site to ask questions on and learn about your gm diesel is thedieselpage.com. That is how I got mine running and learned all I know. They are very helpful.

5. colbystephens

regarding these two items, this was something i really wanted to do, but I had to draw the line somewhere on cost. perhaps someday in the future i'll add the gears to the motor. this is a good tip tho for others doing a 6.2 build. i just had to draw the line. 6.2 builds are expensive and the options are endless, but in the end i think i'll have a strong durable, long lasting motor in spite of these two options which i'm leaving out at this time.

6. colbystephens

well, i went into the machine shop today and all they've got left is to resize the rods and balance the motor! i should get it back in about a week or so. i'm so STOKED. i've never done anything like this before, so it's all very exciting. as an added plus, the machinist painted my motor for me. :) don't know if that's standard practice, but it sure was helpful surprise. i wanted to do that, but was uncertain if i could paint it w/ out getting crap into the motor and thereby hurting some of the stuff i had done at the shop. He painted it black, which is what i was probably going to do. had this truck been intended for street use only, i'd have painted it yellow - but that would get dirty too easy and look like crap too often. :) cheers.

7. colbystephens

well i picked up my motor today!! :D i'll be starting to put it back together tomorrow. i'll post up the progress and any interesting tips/stories that might be helpful to someone else in my position, at a later time.

8. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Good luck! Post pics. :D

9. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

In time for EJS? Yeah, I know thats asking a lot.

10. colbystephens

EJS? i'm not familiar with that.

11. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Easter Jeep Safari in Moab, Utah; April 11-15 (check). It helps me to get stuff done if I've got a milestone on the calendar, don't know if thats "no way" or "piece-o-cake" or "Aaaahhhh" in view of Rhino. It would be choice to meet there, got some folks from SoCaCa that are working toward it. Pretty much a tough row to hoe with HiWay long haul, camping and trails for up to a week. One of the BIG OffRoad events for the West.:D
    This will be my first.

12. colbystephens

well, i intend to have the truck on the road by the end of the month. i think that's slightly ambitious. i also think that i would have enough time to break in the motor by then. however, here's my three concerns: i don't know how to wheel yet, i should be attending school during that time, and simply: cost. :) probably aint going to happen for a while. i don't think i can justify taking off school at that point.

13. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

That would be the "no way" category. Somewhere between "Aaaaahhh" & "piece-o-cake" for Spring, thats KOOL. Like I say, this will be my first EJS/Interstate trip, and I've only been actively modifying the truck for the last ~18 mos. Blazer Bash in the Fall!

14. colbystephens

so here's some pics of my engine. i went to begin assembly yesterday and sure enough the machine shop forgot to give me my crank! :doah: oh well. here's some pics.

engine bottom.jpg

engine back.jpg

15. colbystephens

so i thought i'd update with some pictures and i'll add to my story at a later time. :) the first two pics are the "before" and "almost after" pics.

The pic of the hood with the phoenix is a stencil i had my wifey draw up for me. essentially, everything that you see as black will be white, and everything you see as white will be black. in addition, the left and right edges of the hood will be painted white along the thick line of the hood.

in addition, i was hooked up by roadnotca with the one of the great t-case shifter knobs he sells. he did great work. he custom makes these to fit the shift levers of whatever gearboxes you might have. his service is excellent, and his product is just plain cool.

as you can see, my interior is lagging slightly in progress behind the more important parts of the truck, but we'll get there someday. :)

we installed the engine a few days ago, but i left my flexplate about an hour away from my project truck, and ck5 user y5mgisi and I decided it would be easier to pull the engine again and put the flexplate on rather than drop the tranny down and install it that way. so, we go the engine and tranny bolted together today. good stuff. i'm anticipating about 2 - 3 days of hard work and it will be on the road. that will have to happen next week, after finals. :D

Blazer1.JPG

black rhino side.jpg

black rhino front with hood.jpg

phoenix hood.jpg

engine installed.jpg

Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
  16. colbystephens

shifter knob.

shifter knob 3.jpg

shifter knob.jpg

shifter knob 2.jpg