Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Building the Ultimate M1008 *Beadlocked 42's w/ pic's**

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, Aug 6, 2006.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Well as some of you might have read I am parting out my K5 and I am attempting to build up my 84' M1008 before Blazer Bash. I have rounded up most of the parts and should be done parting out the K5 real soon.

The specs for the M1008 as planned are:

Dana 60 4.56 WFO High steer with ORD drag link and a Rock Stomper 1.5" tie rod/Kid Jethro Cover

Rear is a 14ff with 4.56 and detroit locker with DIY pinion gaurd and Posion Spider Rock Ring

Front suspension will be a 52" spring swap with DIY 7.25" shackles Ford Shock Towers

Rear Suspension will be 2.5" ORD Shackle Flip with 2" custom swivel spring
    mounts and stock 56" leaves with some of the pack removed

I plan on removing the bed/cutting the frame behind the spring hangars and using some steel plate to go over he frame rails and mount my 22 Gallon JAZ Fuel Cell, truck tool box, and spare tire.

I have a Warn 8274 winch that will be mounted to the front bumper with synthetic rope

I have one PRP seat and plan on buying a match for the wife if funds allow.

I have about 2 months before the Bash to get this thing done and will post pic's as progress is made.

If anyone has any tips or helpful ideas, please feel free to share them as I am a little stressed!

truck_003.jpg

Last edited: Nov 26, 2006
  2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Dayum. I'm just hoping to keep my tow rig and wheeler running and get them to Utah! :bow:

-- A

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Double check every nut and bolt you turn, going as far as marking tightened or torqued bolts with a paint pen to keep track. I did the quick build right before BB '03 and thought i got it all but got bit. My steering arms nuts were not as tight as I thought. By the time we got to Moab the truck was wandering on the highway noticably but I couldn't find anything loose.

I hit a medium sized rock at low speed on the unofficial Friday run on the way out and three studs sheared...:doah: :doah:

It really sucked to have to leave my truck on the trail overnight the first night we were in Moab.

Rene

4. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What brought you to this decision? I think it is a good decision because now you are building up a heavy-duty frame, with heavy-duty drive train.

5. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I think everybody does the quick build before Blazer Bash. Seems like everyone I talk to has a list of things they want to get done before going.

Jeff, better quit your day job to get all that done. :D Good luck! :thumb:

6. stallion85

You aren't kidding about taking time off of work. I have a few friends who will be helping me and the Labor day weekend will be 4 days off for me to get things done. I will check every nut and bolt before she goes out on her maiden voyage. Luckily there is a trail system about 10 minutes from my house to test everything prior to the big trip.

1-ton, you nailed it on the head, heavy duty running gear and stronger frame were most of my reasons. Also I would like to be able to keep it somewhat street legal for camp to trail rides instead of trailering all over Moab.

7. stallion85

Here is the D60 ready to bolt in.....just needs a Detroit, but that can wait till right before I leave.

ORD X over draglink, WFO high steer, Rock Stomper tie rod, Kid Jethro Diff cover. Other that that just some paint to make it look good:)

DSC01530.JPG

DSC01531.JPG

8. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Good luck dude!! I'm in pretty much the same situation. This week was the first week of taking every friday off untill BB06.

9. stallion85

I have been bustin my ass all week and I don't feel like I made any progress... I did part out my K5 and take her to the recycling center. That took more time than I thought.

It always sounds simpler in your head......then when you get to it, the trouble begins......

10. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

That 60 looks good, but with highsteer, why did you go with such a beefy tie rod?

11. stallion85

Already had the tie rod so I just cut it down and had it tapped....

12. Jackedup86GMC

Jackedup86GMC Registered Member

:waytogo: Keep the pics coming.

13. stallion85

Front axle pulled and some rivets ground down.This isn't as fun as it looked in other peoples pictures:doah:

DSC01532.JPG

14. 68MUDSTUD

68MUDSTUD OCD with shiny things

man, i wish i had the money to do this kind of stuff, just one day, say to myself, hey, ive got all the parts, why not build the ultimate rig? you guys are lucky.

15. stallion85

Took two days after work to grind and drill out all the rivets for the front hangars with help from my friends Trevor and Travis. Got all the holes drilled out to 7/16" and mocked them up in place. Tomorrow I will clean it up and paint the front frame area along with tackling the rear shackle hangars.

DSC01534.JPG

DSC01535.JPG

DSC01536.JPG

16. stallion85

Don't know why the pic's are pink? Probably cuz I went out in the driveway with all the lights off and took the pic's?? Anyways you guys get the point. Also I just found out today I am going to PCB Florida for 18 days next month for a TDY. I tell you, sometimes it's really tough being in the military.......

17. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

It's OK, you can tell us your painting it pink! We won't heckle ya too bad.:haha:

I'll also be doing the last minute finish everything build. Hope I don't miss anything. Good luck, hope to see you there!

18. stallion85

Hope to see you there too! Thanks for the pinion gaurd and the shackles :)

19. stallion85

Finally permanently mounted the front spring hangars and shot a little paint over everything. I used some locktight aloing w/ nylon locking nuts, that way it stays in place. I just got done removing one rear hangar and will start on the other tomorrow......:o

DSC01537.JPG

DSC01538.JPG

DSC01539.JPG

DSC01540.JPG

20. stallion85

Finished the front end minus upper shackle bushings. The DIY shackles I have are drilled for a 7/16" and the original was a 3/8" so I need to find some bushings that will allow the larger bolt.....where did you guys get yours? I am going to call ORD tomorrow and see what they have. Should be able to have the 2WD sector shaft installed by the end of the week along with the steering box brace from ORD. Then it's on to the rear!

I used grade 8 bolts for leaf spring center pins.......:o

DSC01545.JPG

DSC01546.JPG

DSC01547.JPG