Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Building Website - Help!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sarazk5, May 4, 2001.

1. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

I am starting to build a website for a business that we eventually plan to have, right now it isn't much, but I am in hopes of more. Anyway, I have started to build my site, and would like some input, it is just kind of an idea thing right now, nothing is solid. But I want to appologize in advance if your Rig is on my site, and ask you for permission now. I have 3 trucks on there right now. I don't know who's they are, they are not from this site. But if they happen to be yours, let me know if you want me to remove them. I'm not planning on them staying, i was just using them as samples for now. Anyway, please look and give me your insight. Thank ya. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://hometown.aol.com/sschevytrucks/SSCHEVYTRUCKS.html>http://hometown.aol.com/sschevytrucks/SSCHEVYTRUCKS.html</A>

2. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Pretty slick! I like it.... now if you can only get the part pages going LOL. Who's starting the business? You and who, I should say. You'll have to let us know when you get things going. Always happy to support K5er businesses if at all possible.

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Looks like a pretty good site. Loads fast thats good. The trucks catch your eye.But I would put your parts list in a seperate table on the left or right side with the parts listed down the page in alphabetical order. Its a little hard to read with everything all jumbled togeather in the middle of the page. You could use the middle of the page to advertise specials on parts. Keep your site simple. People who shop the net want a site that is simple to navigate and is fast. Hope this helps and Good Luck on your business venture.

4. Donna

Donna 1/2 ton status

Site looks good. I agree with Thunder though. It was a little difficult to read all jumbled together. Good Luck with the business and the site.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blueeyes.coloradok5.com>http://www.blueeyes.coloradok5.com</A>
    [​IMG]

5. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I agree too. It's a little too crowded in the center. I also suggest that they should be moved to one side. You could also use frames if you'd like, but on most sites, i don't really like them. One more thing, I think you should combine a few of those categories. (ie.wheels and tires in one...... hoods, doors, and panels in one.....shocks, suspension, springs, lift kits in one) Anyway, my last suggestion's not that important as long as you move them from the center. Other then that, it looks good. Good luck with the buissnes.

[​IMG]

6. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. We already have the business name but mainly use it for discounts on our own stuff right now. Haven't built up any clientel or advertised, It is me and my b/f S&S stands for Shawn & Sara. I have accounts set up all over if anyone is interested. I can get all the stuff LMC has, all aftermarket boy parts, lights etc. So if anyone is interested let me know, at least for now i can get you good deals too. I agree on the moving the links around etc, I plan to eventually move the site intirely, i need to look into more on buying webspace etc. Anyone on here sell it? i want www.S&Schevytrucks.com. Let me know how much. AOL Sucks.. I have already filled up my allowance on picture space with just those three trucks!

7. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

looking good i agree that the center is to crowded but other than that it looks good

77blazer see it at<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333>http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333</A>[​IMG]

8. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Looking good Sara...you made me laugh though, you have a typo that says aftermarket boy parts! I was wondering if that is where John Bobbit shops? [​IMG] Kidding.....but really try the idea of the stuff on the side. Try Homestead.com though, lots of space and lots of tools. Easy to use as well. You just have to watch the amount of pics you place they take a lot time to load. Once you are up and running you can get the pay site by them. It's like $30 a month and that loads way faster and allows pics.....Anything AOL sucks....I only keep them out of I have fee service right now. Once that is up I will dump them. Good luck with it all!

"Suck Fumes Ford Boy"
    "I love my country, I fear my government"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</A>

9. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Looks good! What you might also do (to eliminate scrolling) is put the years of the chevy truck's parts that your looking for and link them to a menu of like ac stuff, brakes, etc and then if the person clicks ac stuff, then another menu comes up and says like evaporators, etc. I hope I haven't confused you [​IMG]. I think that would help to...it'd give you a clean professional look, but it would be a little work. Have you tried htmlgoodies.com? They have a lot of info on site building. Hope this helps!!!

[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html>http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html</A>

10. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

Yeh Steph, i saw my typo after I already submitted it, so I just left it. Thanks Muddin.. I already have each of those set up as a link, but don't have them linked to another page yet. I plan to have it where you click on the year of the vehicle and get a list of what you can get there. That will take some time to post!

11. shane

shane 1/2 ton status

I would remove all the links in the middle altogether. I like how you have a picture of each body style with a caption of the years. If you put the years into the "alt" tags people with pictures turned off can still navigate your pages. You could stack the images on the left and use them as buttons.

Doing this would free up considerable amount of space on your homepage for specials, news, tech tips, etc, etc.. I wouls also suggest designing a logo with your name and keeping it in the same place on each page. This can be accomplished using tables and you also might want to center the entire table on the screen. You want to create a uniform theme and stay with the same fonts, colours, image sizes, etc..I would stay away from frames as some search engines will not list a frames page (trust me I found out the hard way) also if you link to a another site it can open up inside of your frames and if that site is in frames it can cause quite a mess, can even crash some older browsers on slow computers.

If you go with any special effects such a javascript, make sure it is not buggy or you can crash some peoples browsers as well. You will also want to check every page you make in at least two browsers. I looked at you page with IE and it looked fine, in Netscape 4.5 however two of the pictures failed to show up. I looked at your code and I am wondering what program you used to write it. It is not very good code. I am not trying to knock you, far from it, but I feel you should know that you code is not very legible.

I use Homesite 4.0 as it is a very good prgram that allows you to edit directly in html but is not as boring as using notepad. I also use Photoshop 6.0 for image editing. I would suggest getting good at images as they make or break a site. Also the best tip I can give you is to stay away from Frontpage 98/2000 as they programs create huge bloated code that is terrible! If you use any type of WYSIWYG editor then make sure you can edit the code afterwards to clean it up before you post it.

You can have the best prices, best layout but if you pictures are huge and poorly edited, nobody will stay at your site.

Bottom line: Good start but you have a long ways to go yet. I would suggest using tables to a better advantage, learning html 4.0 and using style sheets. Working with an image editor to create a nice logo, as well as reducing your images file sizes.

If you have any questions or need any help, just drop me a line and I would love to help.

Shane

Just keepin it Canadian[​IMG]

12. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

Thanks a lot Shane. I can use all the help in the world. I just threw that together in about 2-3 hours just playing around with ideas. Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I know i have a long ways to go was just looking for ideas and support.

13. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

Thanks all you guys. Wanted to let you all know that the email on that site does work, and I do have accounts set up. I can get you some good deals on some parts. Just let me know what you are looking for.

14. crazylarry74

crazylarry74 Registered Member

If you want free webspace go to www.freeservers.com you can choose S&S with different names behind it. All in all your site looks good though but if you want more space for pictures and things go to freeservers.com they have a really easy to fill out application and you can put a lot of stuff on it.

15. crazylarry74

crazylarry74 Registered Member

If you want free webspace go to http://www.freeservers.com they have a really easy to fill out application and you can put a lot of stuff on it.