Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Buildup Opinions Wanted

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Lonnie, Dec 9, 2001.

1. Lonnie

Lonnie 1/2 ton status

First post here.... been reading in silence the past few weeks.

I recently bought a new project... a '77 Chevy truck which is destined as a show vehicle. It is a project that a friend lost interest in & sold to me after sitting for almost 10yrs. (Please no "show truck" criticism, I also have an '82 with a built 427, 35"BFG's, 4.56's, locker & truetrac to beat on)

The '77 has a 4" suspension lift (rear blocks) + a set of zero rates. It also has a 3" body lift (necessary for the tilt front end & hydraulic tilt bed). Currently it has 35x14.50 Mickey's on half ton axles. I have the tires/wheels sold (as I want something larger) & will be installing a 14bolt FF rear & dana front. I prefer to run 16" wheels due to the bead preference over 16.5 wheels. As far as lift, I am speculating possible taller front springs and/or longer shackles & most likely a shackle flip with re-arched springs for the rear (to eliminate the blocks). Ride & drivability will be a concern, but unfortunately due to all the underside paint & chrome, it will not be offroad. I would like larger tires, such as 38-39" but cannot cut or risk hitting the tires on the new GM sheetmetal.

Does anyone have some suggestions/experiences on lift & tire/wheel combinations that look good without tearing up the body or having off road only type ride/handling (Boggers would be my choice if I ever thought it would go offroad but in my opinion are a little too harsh for the street). Thanks in advance for any help.

Lonnie

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Im order to keep the 38-39" tires you need at least 8"s of lift for 38s so I would say you need at least a 6" springs in the front, shackle flip in the rear with either add-a-leafs or get your re-arched. And keep the 3" body lift. But to make sure nothing hits you will probably want to do 6" springs with hill extended shackles, rear shackle flip with 4" springs. Go with tuff country for you lift so it will be soft and more enjoyable to drive.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

If it's a show truck, why are you concerned with 16" vs 16.5" wheels debate? The 16.5s have much better selection and the only reason to go 16s would be if you air down. Do you air down at the shows?

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

4. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

I was wondering the same thing ... and for large tires I would look into the Parnelli Jone's tires ... they seem to be good offroad and have good street manners too, worth looking into them!

<font color=green>[​IMG]1977 K5 GETTIN IT AWN[​IMG]</font color=green>
    BUILT NOT BOUGHT