Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Built 10 or Dana 60

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, May 31, 2005.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Alright well i recently got a 14bolt rear end, i am gonna put that in my truck at some point. i mostly do mudding and sandy hill climb stuff. Not to big into the rocks but trails seem fun.. i havent done a ton yet though. I was thinking if i can get an 8lug conversion for my 10bolt. and some cromo shafts w/ the gearing on want in it do you think it would work well enough? I am not very hard on my stuff. Like i said im only mudding and sand dunes, i plan on getting 38" tires at some point as well. This is my DD and is going to be for a while. I am a poor college student so i cant exactly afford a D60 right now as well. I have yet to break anything on my 10bolts but i know if i want bigger tires i atleast have to upgrade the rear. So would a 10bolt hold up u think to 38's used for mudding and such? what would you guys do?

2. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

10 bolt on 38's and mudding, it will break eventually, convert it w the stock shafts, and save till you can get a D60, plus, a deal on a D60 might come along while your waiting, I found 2 D60's for $1300 for the pair :D , that was a good deal there

3. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

there was just a post on here where a guy was running 3/4 ton stuff with upgraded shafts and joints and he was running 42s.

if you are easy on it you should be ok.

right now im running 36s on 1/2 ton drivetrain and i havent broken a thing. i hit stuff hard to, but i only really do mud and some small trails.

4. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

You'll be fine, just carry extra u-joints and possibly shafts. :D

5. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

Dana 60

6. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

What he said, siiiiiiiiixty! Cant beat the bling factor, course they are expsensive but no breakage and your rig will stop on a dime with those huge rotors and calipers.

7. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

mud and sand = low traction, the 10 bolt should hold up.

8. captaininsano

captaininsano 1/2 ton status

I beat the hell out of my stock 10-bolt running 39.5 IROKs and so far no breakage. If you want it to last though don't lock it up, leave it open, lots less stress on it. Sucks for traction but it is a tradeoff. I got stuck in a deep sticky mud pit last weekend and got out eventually with lots of tire speed. The trick was to let off the go pedal as soon as the 10-bolt was about to catch traction out of the pit. I am in the same boat, can't afford a D60. My truck has a 12 bolt in the rear also with a lock rite. A lot of people will say this is lame or whatever, but my truck has gone through some gnarly stuff and no problems. I have trimmed off a lot of metal though, so I weigh a lot less than a stock K5 now, that is another way to get away with IROKs on 1/2 ton gear. :D

9. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Based on what you want to do with it, convert the 10B and throw soem chromo shafts in it. Leave the diff open. You should be fine. I have run 38's on 1/2 ton gear for years w/ no issues. I have a front gov-lock too. I beat the hell out of it. I have never had any issues and I'm hard on my stuff. If you lock the front, you will have issues as soon as you start trying to make tight turns (anything close to full lock). Go easy on the skinny pedal in the turns (when in 4WD) and you should be fine. The other trick is to know the limits of your rig and stick to them if you don't want breakage.

10. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I would convert the front and leave it open and save my money for the 60 I ran 38s for a while with a stock 10b in the front and never had any problems. Just remember to check the ball joints and wheel bearing more often than you normally would

11. 79chevyk10

79chevyk10 1/2 ton status

I say chromo the front with ctm's if you lock it. If you leave it open then stock should do just fine with your application. I am also another one beating the hell out of their truck with a locked 12 bolt rear and open d44 front with 35's and have only broke one axle in the front.

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if you're gonna wheel some trails and you want to regear, I'd go d60. If you aint gonna regear, a 10 bolt with chromos would prolly work for ya.

the cost of regearing, adding a locker and chromo shafts for a 10 bolt is starting to add up... if you want to go that hardcore, just go 60 early and be done with it.

j

13. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

agreed

14. Ned Kelly

Ned Kelly 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Save your cash and just get a D60. I've never heard anyone regret getting a D60. I have heard people regret upgrading their 10bolts with all the special axle shafts and stuff and still breaking. Then they get a D60 and say they wish they would have went D60 right from the start. Listen to them.

15. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

I guess people who went from dana 60s to rockwells would have regret it :haha:

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Dana 60 just because of the tire size you plan.

17. jekbrown

not when they sell their built D60 for mad ca$h....

j

18. 79chevyk10

79chevyk10 1/2 ton status

And not if you have already regeared and grew into the sport. Got way to much invested in my D44 and 12 bolt to turn back now until they break alot. I can deal with one failure every once in a while. IMHO.

For mud and sand while keeping the front open I think he will be fine.

19. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Also the savings in unsprung wieght will be way better in those conditions. :cool1:

20. jekbrown

if there is one place not tp save weight, its the axles. Almost as a rule, heavier is better.

j