Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

built 4L60 in a 91 1/2 ton?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 91GMCSuburban, Feb 11, 2004.

1. 91GMCSuburban

91GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

What are my options?

2. 91GMCSuburban

Re: 4l80 in a 91 1/2 ton?

OK, found a thread that basically stated 4L80e is an expensive option. So, how about tough built 4L60 (700R4).

3. 91GMCSuburban

Re: 4l80 in a 91 1/2 ton?

ttt

4. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

People say they hold up alright if you run them from the start with a HUGE tranny cooler, but not sure if that was referring to stock or modified rigs...

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

First off, is the tranny already blown or is it in good condition still? If it is I would run it until it does blow because the 87' later th700's are decent trannies.

If it is blown then take it to a reputable tranny shop that knows WTF they are doing. You should already have a 10 vein front pump, I would use an aftermarket sun gear(this is a weak link, you loose rvrse, 1st, and 3rd when the splines break loose from the shell), extra clutches in the 3/4 pack, kevlar clutches and bands if needed, modified valve body for more flow, late model rear sprag(another weak link, odopted part from a th350 when it was designed), late model accumulater springs, a good blueprinted torque converter with a billet center piece, and your choice between a corvette servo or shift kit. This is all that is done to mine that I can currently think of and I am very confident in it's strength because it has seen some rough use and has never skipped a beat. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif To give you a ballpark idea, my th700 is probably about as strong as a th400 with a good shift kit. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Oh and don't forget to run a good sized stacked plate cooler ALONG with your factory radiator cooler.