Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Built 9" FF vs. Built 12bolt FF?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5james, May 18, 2004.

1. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

Built 9\" FF vs. Built 12bolt FF?

Well it's time to start deciding on a rear end for my 72 Blazer. I'm trying to decide if I should build up the 12bolt I already have (ie warn kit,lsd,regear,truss,discs) or if I should purchase a built currie 9". The cost of each is going to be pretty close so any input as to the advantages and disadvantages of each are much appreciated.

The Blazer is going to be a dune/street machine. I'm a little throttle happy and may get all four wheels in the sky once in a while. I'll be running 35's also. What do you think?

2. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Re: Built 9\" FF vs. Built 12bolt FF?

How about a D60FF? Of course everyone is going to tell you to use a FF14B because they are cheap. The 9" will have the most aftermarket support and might be the lightest.

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

between these two axles, i would pick a 9". they seem to be stronger. also the warn ff kit for the 10b/12b was discontinued about 6 months ago (at least that when i heard it was)

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

well hes talking about getting built axles. I'd consider a D60 FF for cheap(next rig I build will probably run a 60 instead of a 14 bolt), and a 9" if you want to spend the dough. Better get 35 spline axles, add a back brace maybe an over axle truss. Would have a nice stout flying rear. I'd like to build a hybrid 9" but will probably stick to cheap easy D60s.

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Oh jeez, here we go. I'm sure there will be plenty of BS flying in this thread once the 'crowd' comes around.

Disadvantages to 9"-somewhat low hanging pinion; going to have to compensate with the driveshaft; spring pads have to be moved; lug pattern changed either up front or out back. A Currie huh? Easier, but definately not cheaper by any means.

Advantages-aftermarket parts avaliablity. Easier to truss; strongest 1/2 ton axle ever.

I got one out of a '82 F-150, 31 spine model to put into my K5 so I've already discovered what has to be done to it before it goes in. Lots of work, but worth it.

6. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i dont really ever hear about people building up 12bolts... but i know there are a lot of 9 inch fans out there.... i would op for the 9 inch.. not cuz of personal knowledge but just from what i notice people using. I belive the aftermarket for a 9 inch is much bigger.... search on PBB in the general discussion forum plenty of 9 inch info there

7. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

dana 60, sf OR ff... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just get a 14BFF and forget about it. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I am another vote for the ford 9" if you have the dough to do it. How about a 14BSF? It is roughly as strong as a rear D60SF and it can be made 6 lug very easy and bolt in.

9. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

He's doing dune running people so he needs to go with a light rear axle to keep unsprung weight low. A 14 bolt SF has a weak housing, dont ask me how I know cause i broke one. I would run a 9" They seem to be a very stout little axle and are very light compared to a 60 or 14 bolt SF

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

stockcarproducts.com 9"

11. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

Yeah a D60 or 14bolt are not really an option. I know they are great axles but not for my application. All the prerunner people I've been talking to have been telling me to get a 9" also so that may be the way to go. I found a place that sells the warn kit for about $700 then the tractech is another $400, add another $500 or so for gears just with that I'm already almost in custom axle range. I've found a few fab shops (currie also) that will custom build them for between $1000-3000 depending on options. I could go the junkyard route for a 9" but I'm going to build it anyway so I might as well buy one that I can just slap on.

12. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think it's pretty "official" that a ford 9" would be the best for desert running because of it's strength and light weight. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

13. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I figured so but I just need some CK5 "expertise" to help me make the decision.

14. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Yeah, Id go with the 9" for desert runnin /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Well it's time to start deciding on a rear end for my 72 Blazer. I'm trying to decide if I should build up the 12bolt I already have (ie warn kit,lsd,regear,truss,discs) or if I should purchase a built currie 9". The cost of each is going to be pretty close so any input as to the advantages and disadvantages of each are much appreciated.

The Blazer is going to be a dune/street machine. I'm a little throttle happy and may get all four wheels in the sky once in a while. I'll be running 35's also. What do you think?

[/ QUOTE ] In this case, I think I'd go with the Currie 9". Normally I'd say 14 bolt FF, but I understand the weight thing too.

16. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

Check out Tube-Works