Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Built not Bought!?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ryan B., May 11, 2002.

1. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/albums/albuo19/aby.jpg> Take a look at this! </a>

Maybe some people are visiting our site and ripping us off for the slogan.

LMAO! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif
    I thought you guys would get a kick outta this one!

It's on page 75 "Fine 69" in the 4 wheel parts wholesalers magazine... "Offroad adventures" for April/May 02.

Its a pretty bad ass for being a jeep CJ5 though... Chevy LT1, SM 465, lockers, Dana 44/ Dana 60, 4:56's, 36" Swampers.

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Actually the built not bought slogan has been around for a while.

3. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

i saw a purple jeep from pennsylvania at a mudbog with that same slogan in the same place...

Later

4. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Not to rigid, look at the right spring hanger/shackle?

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ahh yes..well give it a break man..i mean comon it IS a heep!

Bryan- LOL

6. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

Since the subject is brought up, can someone please explain to me exactly what "Built not Bought" means? Seems like some people who put a new top end on their motor think they built it, and others think you didn't build it until you've custom built a tube chassis for it. Who's right? How much work do you have to do until you've "Built" it?

7. pregate

pregate Registered Member

its mostly referring to the fact that most of these guys do the work themselves, ptu in their own lifts, work on the truck themselves (to the extent of theirt abilities) rather than taking it into a shop..

8. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

I would consider my truck built becuase where I live and my experiance limits me to only doing so muc. But I do verything I can myself. However, many poeple with greater abilities would call my truck bought becuase I have had to have a shop put on my lift and rebuild my axles, tranny, motor... So it is really all about your ability level. However, in a few years when i finish school and get my own place, (With a Garage) I plan to do a lot of stuff on my own.
    Ike

9. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

The "Real Jeeps are built not bought" slogan has been around at leat as long as the K5. I remember the old timers talk about how anyone could just walk up and buy a built Jeep, or "Real Jeeps have flat fenders". That kind of stuff was in Four Wheeler when I was a kid reading my dad's issues.

10. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

I think I am a "Bulit not Bought" guy. Me and my friends work on my Rig. done almost all the work ourselves. I would be lost without the guidence of my buddies, but the only thing we pay for on any of our rigs is parts and beer/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

11. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

You wanna know what Built Not Bought means? Look at my rig! I may be tooting my own horn here but I have been working on my K5 sence 1993. I have done ALL the work to it,except for a porly done 3"body lift wich I reinstalled properly so I guess I did do that too!/forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    When I say ALL I mean ALL from gear swaps to cluch installs to the roll cage. Now don't get me wrong I have had help along the way from various sources and such. This is my first and last 4x4. I didn't know squat about it when I bought it I just knew I wanted it!!
    Blood, Money, Sweat, More Blood and More Money add that up with alittle more Blood and now you have a home Built Rig by yours truly!! My rig IS "Built NOT Bought"!
    I have the knuckle scars to prove iT!
    It's a pride thing!
    later

12. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

But did you mount your own tires? /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif
    Just picking man.

13. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

Yup... Same for me. No garage, no tools, so I have to take my K5 to a shop for almost all repairs. I could do 90% of what I have the shop do on my own, but living in an apartment with now garage really limits what I can do on my own. Not to mention the lease forbids ANY automotive repair in the parking lot, and they do enforce that clause.

So, for now, I'm in the "Bought, not built" category. Once I get a house with a garage, I'll be switching to the "Built, not bought" group. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

14. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

If you mount your own tires, are you required to support them until they find their own rigs...........

15. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I think that "Built Not Bought" can be of a slightly wider scope than some of the rest of you guys....

To me it's a K5 owner who understands that a "brand new" truck on the dealer's lot does NOT represent the best available. The attitude of the "Built Not Bought" crowd is really that they are willing to make changes to truly improve and personalize their vehicle....which for most of us means to make it MORE capable in offroad situations.

In my mind, even if a person has to pay a shop to do the work on their K5.....they could still be a "Built Not Bought" kinda person.

Each person's level of involvement in the transformation of their K5 will be different....we all BUY parts (unless you have a metal foundry in your backyard to make your own axles, gears, etc /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif) So I guess for me the proof that someone is "Built Not Bought" is when they have the attitude that their "perfect" vehicle won't exist until they create it themselves.....

16. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

"Built Not Bought" is when they have the attitude that their "perfect" vehicle won't exist until they create it themselves.....

<hr></blockquote>
    Right on! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

(Responding from work on your lunch break i see huh Greg? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif)

17. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Yep...

18. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I took a rusty '72 longbed 2WD and turned it into a 4WD monster. Not exactly an easy task. I've done everything on it myself except for setting up the gears in the rear end. I don't like to brag. I just know that I've earned the slogan "Built not Bought," and so have many of the other folks on here. It makes you feel good to see the fruits of your own hard labor.

Will

19. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

I don't know where the line is between "built" and "bought" is, but put me in the "built" category. I've owned my truck for over ten years, and it keeps getting better as the years pass. I've swapped the entire body out, wiring harness, engine and tranny. A couple of years ago, I decided to try paint and bodywork on my own, and the result was a pretty damn nice job for way less money than a body shop would have charged, and that included buying an air compressor! This summer I'll be swapping out my 10/12 bolt axles for the 14/60, and moving to rat power.

I'd be lying if I said I did everything myself, as I have had help occasionally. If you love your truck, you do as much as you can on your own, and its meaningful to you as an owner. When you get complimented on your ride, the pride of accomplishment is way more meaningful too.

Kinda makes me want to puke when I see rigs like a brand new Ford F350 with new wheels and tires or a Jeep TJ with offroad lights on the windshield in the Readers Rides section of 4WOR magazine! What do they have to proud of? The monthly payment? Or did mommy and daddy buy it for them? The real rigs are on these web pages!

Sorry for ranting, I believe in "built" not "bought"!

20. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

It is not a contest for me it is more of a pride thing! When I take my rig out on the trail and it does what I ask it too with out hasseling me then I am a happy camper. I don't want to out class anyone and we all are at diferent stages with our trucks anyway! I feel for the apartment guy/gals, been there done that, got yelled at every week/forums/images/icons/wink.gif!
    It's all good!! That is the beauty of it callit like you see it!!
    And no I didn't mount my SSRs to my wheels/forums/images/icons/smile.gifLOL!hehehe