Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Built not bought!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazinNewTrails, Oct 26, 2002.

1. BlazinNewTrails

BlazinNewTrails Registered Member

In the tradition of Colorado K5 and in the spirit of empty pockets /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I decided to conquer swapping out my 2 1/2" Rancho lift, in favor of a 4" Pro Comp lift.
    It took us about 4 hours in the driveway with a bit of fumbling around but it went pretty smoothly!!!
    I changed out the Rancho 2 1/2" front spring pack and installed the ProComp 4" pack, I just added Pro Comp add-a-leafs to the rear since the 2 1/2" in block on the stock springs was to soft and was causing some white knuckle moments when encountering off camber bumps at speed! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
    Now the front is a bit softer and the rear a bit stiffer and my Blazer is driving 10X better!!!
    Did I mention it's taller? LOL

I did let 4WPW weld on my new nerf bars since it was free with the purchase of the bars. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I want to thank all of you that shared idea's and answered my newbie questions! I felt way more comfortable with some of your knowledge behind me!

My 35x12.50x15 Mud King's are going on Monday!!!
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Congratulations and good job!

3. BlazinNewTrails

Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    I'll post pics after the tires go on.
    You guys won't kick me out for having a tire shop mount and balance them for me will you? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I am going to lengthen the rear brake line I think. It was pretty tight when we lowered the rear axle... but I doubt I'll have both rears THAT unloaded while driving... (unless I'm catching air unexpectedly... LOL)
    I have a 4" drop steering arm that I haven't installed yet. The guy at 4WPW said it wasn't mandantory but recomended with 4" lifts.
    The truck is driving great now.. am I stressing stuff by not swapping arms?
    Thanks for any help!

4. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Some people never correct their steering arm for 4 inches of lift. You may end up with some bump steer, and with some limited steering travel in tire stuffing situations.

5. BlazinNewTrails

Thanks AZ!
    I'll most likely put it on.. I just won't be in such a rush to do it.
    I'm getting laid off Tuesday after 16 yrs and I'll soon have lotsa time! LOL

Thanks for the info!!!!

6. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Congrats! Keep up the great work!
    Bill

7. rogerwilco71

rogerwilco71 1/2 ton status

well not congrats on getting laid off(I've been there), otherwise good job! Did you not get brake extension for the rear (should come w/ a kit)? It's a little steel bar/plate about 3-4"long that bolts to the top of your dif and raises the little diverter for the brakes. Have fun with that steering arm! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Good job bud...

8. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Right on dude! Time to go bounce it off some trees!lol /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    I have 4" springs in the front and use the steering arm, so ............
    Good job on the lift install! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

9. BlazinNewTrails

Hey guys thanks a lot for the /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I'm trying! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif\

Roger, I didn't buy a "kit" because money money IS a factor.
    I bought 4" ProComp front springs for $190/pair and 2" ProComp add-a-leaf in the rear(It already had 2 1/2" blocks from the previous Rancho lift.
    I think I will just buy the rear stainless braided hose to replace my stock one.
    While I was down there I noticed the front differential vent hose was rotted and torn. I need to replace that before I go wading with my Blazer.

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd swap in the new steering arm...it'll steer much better with it than without.

Rene

11. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

Congrats on the succesful outcome....Feels good, dont it? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif