Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

buld up ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hulk81, Jan 28, 2007.

1. hulk81

hulk81 Registered Member

i just got a 1990 gmc suburban for 250 bucks.the body ok it has a dent in the passanger side rear and a little rust in the driver side rear wheel well. the inside is perfect the dash is not even cracked .it has a 147k a 350,700r4,241,and 10 bolts front and rear. it has a blowed head gasket pulled the heads to find a busted a #3 piston:doah: now i have a $4000 buget to build my first DD trail rig and fix the motor so i need help i can do the most of the work but i can't weld so keep that in mind.i have found a reman motor a 350 with 4 bolt mains for $1050 should i do that or somthing else. i'm not looking to build a rock crawler but i do wan't it to be strong:D

2. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If its a DD, and you want to get many more miles out of it, I would go with that reman engine. Good quality? have you checked them out for their reputation? Has this thing done any towing....has that trans been rebuilt yet....Oh yeah its coming if it hasn't already.

good luck and welcome.

Man I love Asheville.

3. 71 Blazer

71 Blazer 1/2 ton status

GM crate motors can be pretty cheap if you don't want high HP. Plus they come with a warrenty!!!!

4. hulk81

hulk81 Registered Member

the motor is a proformance and it cames witha 3year 75000 warrenty the reason is cheap is my local autozone has it and i can buy it throught a local shop and they said they have good luck with them but can't find much on them

i love asheville to born and rasied here never what to move

5. cabledawg

cabledawg Secret Squirrel Premium Member

The 350 is a good start. Easily modified/upgraded if you chose to do so downthe road. The tranny is something else. I hate 700's with a passion. I gave up overdrive just so I could find something a lot more reliable. If you want to stay auto, go for a TH400. Adapters are everywhere to fit whatever t-case you want to put behind it. If you think you might go manual, try the Muncie SM465. No OD but I have no complaints with mine. These things are a dime a dozen. Local junkyards usually have an abundance of clutch links and whatever else you might need. I have a 90 Burb as well that started out as my wifes GG (grocery getter, aka DD for guys). A few hundred dollars and countless manhours later, it is now my pride and joy and probably the only truck I've had that will get me anywhere my checkbook will allow me to.