Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bullcrap!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gone huntin, Jul 17, 2005.

1. gone huntin

gone huntin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My wife just called to tell me that somebody backed into our '98 Dodge ext. cab in a parking lot. She said that she had backed out of her parking spot and started pulling off when a man across from the spot she was in backed into her. I told her to call the police to get an accident report made so we would get his name and insurance info. The police officer showed up and told her that OUR insurance would have to cover it because it was on a private lot. That is total B.S. and I think he's wrong!! The man told her that his back up sensors didn't go off to let him know something was behind him. :mad: What ever happened to looking back and in your mirrors to see what or who was behind you? It pushed the rear bumper to the right about 2" and shoved it into the bed. THIS SUCKS!!!!

2. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

hopefully you have full insurance,

that is correct, your ins. will fix it, plus you might be able to go after him for up to $500(to cover your deductable), since it was his fault, it should not effect your premium in any way

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Did y'all get his info ?? Name, adress, plate #, insurence info ??? Did y'all get the officer's info ?? A copy of the police report ?? I'd turn all that info over to your insurence company and let them handle it.

4. gone huntin

Yeah, the police got all of his info. on the report, but I won't get a copy of it until Tuesday. I just got off the phone with my insurance (Progressive) and they say his insurance may have to cover it, but they say I'll have to discuss it with the adjuster. He was in an '04 Lincoln Town Car and he is completely disabled.

5. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

You are actually lucky the police took a report. Most police agencies do not take reports that occur on private property. It is considered a civil matter unless there is alcohol involved, the driver is unlicensed and came from a public street, or it is a hit and run. I would also venture a guess that the officer said the insurance would take care of it, not necessarily that your own insurance would have to foot the bill. Officers generally don't care, or don't know your exact coverage or track record of your/their insurance co. Normally your insurance will cover what needs to be done and depending on the deal struck between your and his insurance companies will decide who ends up paying the bill. Can you imagine if you had to deal exclusively with the other parties insurance co? They could drag it out forever and hold you hostage. You want your insurance co. to get it done quickly and then argue later about who pays. Usually they assign a percentage of fault. Each insurance co. pays that percentage of the agreed fault.

6. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Some states have a no-fault law that covers accidents on provate property. Which means each party that was involved must take care of thier own claims. :eek1:

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Just turn it over to your Insurance co and let them handle it.
    And
    Tell your wife to park out where no one else does if you dont want your truck wacked. Stuff like that happens all the time in parking lots. If you value your vehicle take care of it. No one else will. Anywhere around a handicapped space is a place to avoid.

8. gone huntin

This wasn't a large parking lot, it has just two rows of parking spots and the lane in the center.

street
    parking l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l spots
    lane between spots
    parking l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l spots
    businesses